Construction on Collins Arch in Cbus Property's project at 447 Collins Street is now officially underway following last month's groundbreaking ceremony, attended by Lord Mayor Robert Doyle, Planning Minister Richard Wynne and Cbus Property CEO Adrian Pozzo with Urban Melbourne also present at proceedings.
Collins Arch represents one of Australia’s largest mixed-use developments, located on a 6,000sqm island site providing 3,500sqm of public realm comprising 1,500sqm of park along Market Street, subject to further planning approval.
The development has been designed by Woods Bagot in partnership with international firm SHoP Architects and features a west tower consisting of offices, and an eastern residential tower, linked by a residential 'sky bridge' at its crown, marking the development's position on the the Melbourne skyline.
The development will also include a five star hotel and luxury residential apartments that are currently accepting expressions of interest.
The groundbreaking ceremony also marked the launch of the 202 luxury one, two and three bedroom apartments, positioned across the highest floors and oriented to maximise city views. Speaking about the development, Pozzo said that further announcements regarding the project would be made in due course including the securing of further commercial tenants and a hotel operator.
The project's crowning feature, the Sky Bridge, will accommodate the residential amenities featuring a statement pool with views from the 34th floor to the city beyond. Facilities will also include a gym, yoga studio, private wine cellars, residents lounge, and two private dining rooms with catering kitchen, accessed by residents from both the East and west towers. A sky garden is also provided on level 39 for the exclusive use of Collins Arch residents, with three penthouses located across levels 38-39.
In further leasing news, Cbus announced late last month that it had secured HWL Ebsworth Lawyers for approximately 6,500sqm of office space over levels eight to 10. The latest leasing announcement follows the earlier commitment of Collins Arch’s first commercial tenants, King & Wood Mallesons which will occupy almost 20% of the project’s available office space across five floors in a major global deal.
HWL Ebsworth's commitment means 30% of Collins Arch’s 49,000sqm of commercial space is now committed with Cbus seeking to secure tenants for the remaining 70% of space. This is occurring in parallel to an expression of interest campaign to secure a hotelier for the $250 million, 294-suite five-star hotel which will occupy the first 15 floors of the eastern tower with Starwood hotels reportedly in contention with its W Hotels brand.
Collins Arch has an estimated completion date of 2019.
Not since Eureka Tower has there been such an opportunity for owner occupiers who want to enjoy the pinnacle of apartment living in the world’s most liveable city, but also the global recognition associated with an architectural destination. Collins Arch offers a landmark opportunity with an array of luxury apartments, including those that maximise views of the Yarra River and Port Phillip Bay, features as iconic to Melbourne as the building itself.
Securing our second tenant, resulting in 30% of the commercial space already committed,really solidifies the importance business leaders are placing on workplaces of the future. Targeting Melbourne’s first WELL-rated building, we are proud to offer a truly remarkable precinct, with leading design at all levels.Adrian Pozzo, Chief Executive Officer, Cbus Property
In this globally enviable architectural residence, there is a particular emphasis on design that embraces each apartment’s sky high aspect. The stepping back of the apartments gives a mountain-top feel to the urban façade. We’ve then ensured the oasis feel continues inside with a vertical garden spanning three storeys offering tranquillity for residents in the middle of the metropolis.Nik Karalis, principal, Woods Bagot
The idea of a city-within-a-city drove the design—we wanted to create a new amenity for Melbourne that will be an amazing place to live, work, or play. The urban moves that make it successful on the street and in the skyline also work to optimise light, views, and outdoor spaces for the residences, while also serving to activate the public realm.William Sharples, principal, SHoP Architects
We are delighted to have committed to what we believe will be the most impressive building to be constructed in Melbourne in recent memory, clearly a future landmark. Collins Arch will boast amenities and environmental credentials that mirror the standards expected by a firm like ours and by our quality clients. 447 will offer both the high quality and attractive location we want for our staff. Cbus Property has a visionary plan for the site and we are proud to be associated with Cbus Property and this special project.Juan Martinez, Managing Partner, HWL Ebsworth Lawyers