Advertisement
23 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

1934-1935 Centenary of Melbourne and Victoria

Peter Maltezos's picture

1934-1935 Centenary of Melbourne and Victoria

Sir Russell Grimwade purchased Captain Cook’s Cottage at Great Ayton in Yorkshire and had it carefully measured, drawn, labelled, packed up and moved to its new home in The Fitzroy Gardens, Melbourne.

Sit Macpherson Robertson funded an international air race and the more permanent mementoes in the form of  MacRobertson Girls High school, South Melbourne; The MacRobertson Bridge over The Yarra at Grange Road; The National Herbarium at The Botanical Gardens and The MacRobertson Fountain near The Shrine of Remembrance.

For the part played by women in the foundation of the state we had The Pioneer Women’s Garden built.

The Shrine of Remembrance, arguably Melbourne’s most important public monument was completed and dedicated during The Centenary as well and for many it was the crowning ceremony of Melbourne’s Centenary celebrations.

The city lit up for the occasion.

The Dedication Ceremony for The Shrine of Remembrance was held on the morning of November 11th 1934.

Pioneer Women’s Memorial Garden, King’s Domain, Alexandra Avenue. Dedicated on  November 24th 1934.

The MacRobertson fountain.

The MacRobertson Bridge.

One of the most successful events during the celebrations was The Centenary Floral Pageant. The City of Box Hill float shown above was the first prize winner.

Special Centenary Florin was minted and circulated during the period of the celebrations.

Special Centenary Stamps printed for the occasion.

Peter Maltezos's picture

MacRobertson Girls High School

Sir Macpherson Robertson funded MacRobertson Girls High School and presented it as a gift to Melbourne for the Centenary Celebrations in 1934-35.

Robin Boyd, architect and critic said about it….

In the chronology of Australian architecture this building gives a sharp shock.

Nothing previously seen prepares one for the straight lines, rectangular volumes,

unadorned brickwork, white sills and complete lack of ornamentation of our first

‘spiritually pure’ modern building.

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Chris Peska's picture

Anyone know the name of the building on the left in the second pic above? It would be amazing if it was still standing today... the 1960s style office there now are truly horrible and depressing.

Observe. Design. Build. Live.

Peter Maltezos's picture

^^ Champion's Queen's Arms Hotel that used to stand on the corner of Flinders Lane and Swanston Streets.

It later became a branch of the State Savings Bank of Victoria and demolished in the mid 1970s to become a State Bank building.    

thecollectormm.com.au

Mark Baljak's picture

wow! Melbourne could have been so different...........

Peter Maltezos's picture

Collins Street at night during the Melbourne celebrations.

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

First Autogiro flight in Australia, part of the celebrations.

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Centenary Bridge, Port Melbourne, built in 1934 and demolished in 1991.

All that remains is one of the pylons on the eastern approach to Station Pier opposite The London Hotel.

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Victorian and Melbourne Centenary Celebrations

1934-1935

Created and produced by Oswald L. Ziegler

Photography by Edwin G. Adamson,  Dickinson Monteath and from the newspapers of the day

First published in 1935

Out of print

The purpose of this book is to place on record the principal events of the Centenary Celebrations of the State of Victoria and the City of Melbourne. It should serve to reinforce the memories of those privileged to be present, and indicate that this 100th Anniversary was celebrated with decorum and in a manner befitting the importance of the occasion.

The black and white photography is great, the colour not so, a book for one who is interested in Melbourne’s history.

In large coffee-table book size.

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Captain Cook's cottage

Built in Yorkshire in 1755 by the parents of Captain James Cook, Cooks' Cottage was transported to Melbourne and erected in the Fitzroy Gardens in 1934.

The cottage was taken apart brick by brick and packed into cases and barrels to be shipped to Australia, along with cuttings of ivy that originally adorned the house, which were replanted when the building was erected in Melbourne.

Mr Russell Grimwade explains the purchase of Captain Cook’s cottage for the people of Victoria.

http://aso.gov.au/titles/documentaries/captain-cooks-cottage/clip1/

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Centenary Tram.

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Special Centenary Medallion for the Royal Agricultural Show (Royal Melbourne Show).

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

The lookout tower built as part of the Garden of the Moon complex at Arthur's Seat was erected for the Centenary of Victoria and Melbourne in 1934-35.

It was demolished in 2012.

How it looked soon after opening.

How it looked just before demolition by Parks Victoria to make way for a new station for the Arthur's Seat chairlift.

http://www.discovermorningtonpeninsula.com.au/fascinatingfacts/arthurs-s...

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Centenary Electricity Exhibition at The Royal Exhibition Building.

Includes a lighthouse beacon lamp, entrance with native figures, a demonstration of magnetic force in industry and "Magic Music" machine (a form of oscillator).

State Library of Victoria on flickr.

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Collins Street lit up at night for the Centenary Celebrations in 1934.

State Library of Victoria on flickr.

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

This is the official Melbourne and Victorian Centenary medal. It was struck in silver and bronze to help fund the events surrounding the Centenary celebrations (this example is bronze). The designer was the noted artist Rayner Hoff, but the features of a sheep's skull and high voltage power lines proved unpopular. The dies used to strike the medal were defaced and placed in Museum Victoria's collection to ensure that no extra medals could be struck. The original dies are held by the Museum.

The artist, Rayner Hoff, made only seven medals in Australia between the time of his arrival from England in 1923 and his death in 1937. He is best remembered for this controversial medal to commemorate Melbourne's centenary, symbolising the wool industry with the skull of a sheep. Victorian Premier Stanley Argyle was furious with the design, saying 'I have no time for it. I would not have it on my mind. In fact, I seriously wonder whether it is not a big leg-pull on Victoria, as the artist is a New South Welshman'.

The obverse illustrates a tower or pylon of the State Electricity Commission's transmission line from Yallourn to Yarraville. The 112-mile (180 kilometre) long, 50 MW capacity, 132-kilovolt transmission line came into service on Sunday 14 June 1924, transmitting power from the first turbo-alternator unit installed at the SECV's Yallourn Power Station in the Latrobe Valley to the terminal station and switching yard at Yarraville, which distributed the power to the Melbourne metropolitan area. When built, it was both the longest and highest voltage transmission line in Australia, with the distinctive form of its 15-24 metre high galvanised steel towers becoming a familiar symbol of Victoria's industrialisation during the inter-war decades. The Yallourn transmission line was duplicated in 1930, with a second line of towers built and a new terminal station installed at Richmond.

http://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/75695

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

The Royal Centenary Visit.

Children's Tribute at the MCG.

http://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/1755346

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Melbourne Centenary illuminations on Spring Street.

http://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/1547778

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

State Electricity Commission (SEC) Building in Flinders Street illuminated for the Centenary Celebrations.

http://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/1547771

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Melbourne Centenary Illuminations from the Yarra.

http://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/1547776

thecollectormm.com.au

Development & Planning

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 12:00
The swirl of development activity in Footscray has found another gear as new projects are submitted for approval, or are on the verge of beginning construction. Two separate planning applications have been advertised by Maribyrnong City Council; their subsequent addition to the Urban Melbourne Project Database has seen the overall number of apartment developments within Footscray in development swell to 40.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:00
The marriage of old and new can be a difficult process, particularly when the existing structure has intrinsic heritage value. In previous times Fitzroy's 237 Napier Street served as the home of furniture manufacturer C.F. Rojo and Sons. Taking root during 1887, Christobel Rojo oversaw operations though over time the site would become home to furniture manufacturer Thonet.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Friday, August 25, 2017 - 07:00
The former site of John Batman's home, Batman's Hill is entering the final stages of its redevelopment. Collins Square's final tower has begun its skyward ascent, as has Lendlease's Melbourne Quarter Commercial and Residential precinct already. Melbourne Quarter's first stage is at construction and involves a new 12-storey home for consultancy firm Arup along with a skypark.

Transport & Design

Friday, December 15, 2017 - 11:00
Infrastructure Victoria unveiled a new round of research into its larger programme of work dealing with managing transport demand. The authority contracted Arup and KPMG to produce the Melbourne Activity Based Model (MABM) and while it is new, it is considered fit for purpose in the strategic context.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 12:00
Cbus Property's office development for Medibank at 720 Bourke Street in Docklands recently became the first Australian existing property to receive a WELL Certification, Gold Shell and Core rating. The WELL rating goes beyond sustainable building features with a greater focus on the health and well-being of a building's occupants.