Advertisement
19 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

AFL Season 2013

Chris Peska's picture

Big year of footy ahead... and it has started off with a bang with the drugs scandal embroiling the Bombers and the Hawks forgot how to win a game in the off-season... bring on round 1!

Michael Berquez's picture

I suspect this is the only Monday morning I'll be singing "It's a grand ol' flag" all year....

Chris Peska's picture

I have a feeling you'll sing it one more time this year and again against the giants :-) I can't talk though, my doggies are gunna be in struggle town for a little while.

Observe. Design. Build. Live.

Can understand the frustration of being a Dogs supporter, coz sometimes they're great..at least with the Dee's I'm pretty much guaranteed they're gonna be shit week in week out.

Mark Baljak's picture

all i have to add is go bombers...

AS much as I hate to say it the Bombers were good....but the Pies did seem a little out of sorts.

AS much as I hate to say it the Bombers were good....but the Pies did seem a little out of sorts.

Chris Peska's picture

and all i have to add is where are all the Collingwood supporters? only chirpy when they're winning?

Chris Peska's picture

Well the doggies sucked on the weekend, the bombers keep the winning streak going... those peptides seem to be working still.

Chris Peska's picture

Can the Dees keep going as they are? They would have to be on the same level as the VFL reserves at the moment, seriously no direction or confidence. Meanwhile, my dogs showed a bit for three quarters on Saturday but decided to take the boots off and hit the showers at three quarter time, heaven forbid they would actually play for a full game!!

Chris Peska's picture

Well the Doggies lose again, this time to the Pies. The ladder is certainly starting to settle out now with the front runners spreading their lead over the rest of the pack. I'm calling it now.... Hawthorn v Fremantle in the GF. Fremantle to win their first flag by 34 points. Nathan Fyfe for the Norm Smith... I'll be revisiting this at the September lol

Martin Mankowski's picture

Thats a big call! Freo have never won a final in Melbourne, let alone a GF. Still, their really defensive style does suit finals footy.

I haven't given up all hope of my Blues making it. We gave Hawthorn a real scare on the weekend. The next 2 weeks will see see how good we are - Sydney up there, then Collingwood.

Chris Peska's picture

Actually that's not true. Feel beat Geelong in the finals last year at the MCG. Pavlich caned them that game. Not sure about the blues though, bit too up and down for me.

Alastair Taylor's picture

I looked at the Herald Sun website earlier this evening and everything above the fold (visible on screen without scrolling down) was all Essendon Essendon Essendon.

Ahhh sometimes I despise this city's feral nature when it comes to sport.

Whilst I agree it is taking away from the game, that's also exactly why it has to be dealt with, and now.

And as a Carlton supporter, I must admit, it couldn't happen to a nicer club. At least now I will no longer be lectured to by arrogant Essendon supporters about salary cap cheating ever again! :)

Chris Peska's picture

This whole saga is certainly taking up a lot of the media space at the moment... but i think it is for good reason. This could potentially be one of the biggest court cases in Australian sporting history... the battle lines have been drawn now. Personally I think that Hird should stand aside until this whole matter has been resolved.

Chris Peska's picture

Bombers season is over, loss of draft picks and $2 million fine as well. They will be feeling this for a few years, I reckon the doggies might even beat them next season :)

It took us (Carlton) the best part of a decade to get over - and our fine was less than half that, plus we had the then best coach in the comp in Dennis Pagan.

The draft picks hurt the most. In a day and age when player turnover is so high, not being able to replace them with quality options is a killer. And the huge fine limits what you can spend on your football department, making your club less attractive to potential free agents. Whilst we were at the end of a premiership window at the time, Essendon are arguably at the beginning of one, so may shave a few years of pain off. I'm still tipping 5+ years in the wilderness though.

Chris - I think you may be right about WB beating them. Having grown up in a household full of bulldog supporters, I never thought I'd say this, but 'GO DOGS'! :)

Chris Peska's picture

Yeah i think your draft pick wilderness assumption of 5+ years is a plausible time frame. But you must also consider that their list is pretty young, so they might not feel it straight away? probably in a couple of years? the fine in my opinion is the least of their concerns.

Development & Planning

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 12:00
The swirl of development activity in Footscray has found another gear as new projects are submitted for approval, or are on the verge of beginning construction. Two separate planning applications have been advertised by Maribyrnong City Council; their subsequent addition to the Urban Melbourne Project Database has seen the overall number of apartment developments within Footscray in development swell to 40.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:00
The marriage of old and new can be a difficult process, particularly when the existing structure has intrinsic heritage value. In previous times Fitzroy's 237 Napier Street served as the home of furniture manufacturer C.F. Rojo and Sons. Taking root during 1887, Christobel Rojo oversaw operations though over time the site would become home to furniture manufacturer Thonet.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Friday, August 25, 2017 - 07:00
The former site of John Batman's home, Batman's Hill is entering the final stages of its redevelopment. Collins Square's final tower has begun its skyward ascent, as has Lendlease's Melbourne Quarter Commercial and Residential precinct already. Melbourne Quarter's first stage is at construction and involves a new 12-storey home for consultancy firm Arup along with a skypark.

Transport & Design

Friday, December 15, 2017 - 11:00
Infrastructure Victoria unveiled a new round of research into its larger programme of work dealing with managing transport demand. The authority contracted Arup and KPMG to produce the Melbourne Activity Based Model (MABM) and while it is new, it is considered fit for purpose in the strategic context.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 12:00
Cbus Property's office development for Medibank at 720 Bourke Street in Docklands recently became the first Australian existing property to receive a WELL Certification, Gold Shell and Core rating. The WELL rating goes beyond sustainable building features with a greater focus on the health and well-being of a building's occupants.