Text from Walking Melbourne
The National Trust guide to the historic and architectural landmarks of central Melbourne
100-110 William Street
The grandest Victorian era clubrooms in the country, the Australian Club was built in two stages, the larger portion in 1879 designed by Lloyd Tayler, extended in 1892/93 to the south by J Charlesworth. The extension added the most spectacular rooms – the grand hall and staircase, enormous dining room (just visible through the windows) and large smoking and billiard rooms – which reflect the exuberance and wealth of the businessmen of the Victorian era, and the social importance of the ‘gentlemen’s club.’
Three photos of mine.