Advertisement
291 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

CARLTON + PARKVILLE | 3053 + 3052 | Projects

Alastair Taylor's picture

Primary thread for all Carlton projects. First cab off the rank: Upper House: http://urbanmelbourne.info/projects/melbourne/upper-house-516-520-swanst...

It's going to replace the ETU building on the south east corner of Queensberry and Swanston Streets. Design is by Jackson Clement Burrows http://www.jcba.com.au/ and developed by Piccolo Developments: http://www.piccolo.net.au/

Mark Baljak's picture

Peter Doherty

Bravo Pelham St

Dangerous Beans's picture

Plenty happening in Carlton at the moment, some of it a bit meh, some of it ok. If the new stuff can sucessfully bring additional density and activity whilst integating with the existing then I am all for it. Easier said than done though.
I think new Peter Doherty Institute building will probably scrub up ok when finished, but I will always miss the spiral staircase from the demolished building.
The new Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre sits just accross the road from this and will add real bulk to this intersection, there is a model of the new building in the foyer of the existing Peter Mac in East Melbourne. Including plant and lift motor rooms I counted about 18 levels on the model, I beleive the renders come in closer to 15 levels.
Now for that rail line...

Peter Maltezos's picture

The building under construction opposite the Peter Doherty Building is actually called the Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre:

The building that the Peter Doherty Building replaced was the former Ampol House:

Sad it's gone, loved the spiral staircase.   My own photo.

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Mark Baljak's picture

Bravo

Carlton Wellbeing stage 1

Carlton Life

Ryan Seychell's picture

Urbannest Carlton, currently underconstruction to be completed next year..

Dangerous Beans's picture

Yikes, reality isn't looking too flash compared to the render, especially in the quality of the precast detailing around the windows and joints. Another case of architects wet dream vs cost planners/engineers reality?
Seems to fall a long way short of the renders in the approved plans too:
(url)http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/AboutCouncil/Meetings/Lists/CouncilMeeti...(url)

Made all the worse by the fact that a C listed warehouse was demolished to make way for this dross.

johnproctor's picture

upper house advertising hoardings are saying 100% sold - I assume that means its only a matter of time before constructino starts... I rode past the other day and there were a few tradies utes parked around the place that may have been associated with internal demolition (eg. sparkies disconnecting power ready for demo) or they could have just been going next door.

Mark Baljak's picture

^^ Hamilton Marino is the appointed builder

Mark Baljak's picture

RCH Stage 2 progress - carpark + 25000sqm new/refurbished space + Art Series hotel

new facade

ground works

Mark Baljak's picture

Cancer Council sells its prime Carlton property for more than $16m

April 24, 2013

The Cancer Council has sold its Victorian headquarters for at least $16 million, with an overseas developer believed to be the new owner of the landmark site across from Carlton Gardens.

Industry sources say the 3100-square-metre property on the corner of Rathdowne and Victoria streets sold for well above its $16 million quoted price to a residential development group from China.

Cancer Council chief Todd Harper confirmed the property has sold but declined to comment on the buyer's identity or price.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/business/property/cancer-council-sells-its-prim...

Dean's picture

^^ Great news. It's an ugly mutt of a building. So a nice new Chinese funded tall will do nicely.

Glennwilson's picture

Doherty looks good from up here. Will get further forward during the day for the Cancer Centre, core is over fence line now though.

Chris Peska's picture

Love the pics Glenn! Also love the look of the cranes all lit up like that, awesome :)

Observe. Design. Build. Live.

Ryan Seychell's picture

Ryan Seychell's picture

Demolition beginning on Upper House:

Ryan Seychell's picture

Bravo:

Peter Maltezos's picture

I was curious to see what Bravo would look like and could only find the rendering below.

thecollectormm.com.au

Glennwilson's picture

Viscount Melbourne's picture

Great pictures Glenn.

Mark Baljak's picture

ahhh thanks glen, that site is like a fishes a'hole in terms of getting a pic from ground

Dean's picture

The City Ford and Bob Jane sites are just screaming for a few signature towers.

Chris Peska's picture

No Dean, I think they are great examples of crap architecture so therefore should remain :)

Observe. Design. Build. Live.

Ryan Seychell's picture

Mark Baljak's picture

royal childrens stage 2

urbanest berkeley street

tune hotel

Peter Maltezos's picture

The Tune Hotel looks hideous! no

thecollectormm.com.au

Pages

Development & Planning

Friday, December 2, 2016 - 06:00
Almost three years to the day of Urban Melbourne covering Eq. Tower's planning application , ICD Property's 62-storey tower at 127-141 A'Beckett Street has held its topping out ceremony. The event held onsite yesterday coincided with the first round of residents settling on apartments within the Elenberg Fraser designed scraper.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:00
The New Urban Agenda was officially adopted in Quito, Ecuador in the last plenary of the Habitat III conference. The agenda provides a 20-year “roadmap” to guide sustainable urban development globally. The text of the New Urban Agenda itself was agreed well before Habitat III at the UN General Assembly in September, during an extraordinary informal negotiation session that lasted for more than 30 hours.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 17:00
Melbourne’s architectural landscape is a wonderful juxtaposition of modern and Victorian architecture. Although the CBD has been peppered with many skyscrapers, its historical structures have won Melbourne the title of “Australia’s most European city”.

Transport & Design

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 08:30
The recent approval of Sterling Global 's mixed-use tower at 383 La Trobe Street adds to the influx of towers with international influence leaving their mark not only on Melbourne's skyline, but the city's streetscapes. The $700 million mixed-use tower, a collaboration between French design architect Ateliers Jean Nouvel and local Australian executive architect Architectus, has been designed with people at its core.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 12:00
Timber mid-rise buildings are becoming the preferred choice for many stakeholders in Melbourne, due to a combination of factors, including cost-effectiveness, liveability, ease and efficiency of construction. Within the recent National Construction Code change, Deemed-To-Satisfy provisions allow mid-rise timber construction for buildings up to 25 metres “effective height” (typically, eight storeys).