Advertisement
45 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

CBD | 17-23 Wills St | Wills Place |116m | 35L | Residential

Melburn21's picture

Peter Maltezos's picture

Architects: Karvellaris Urban Design

A 1930's Moderne (Artdeco) building covers the entire site and has been retained and integrated with the new building.

The new tower will be inserted within the envelope of the existing Moderne building and will sit on large columns that penetrate through and beyond the existing building thus creating a separation between the old and new.

The four level void 30 levels high in the sky will provide sporting/recreational programs that are associated with urban living and will offer views of the city from a vantage point not often found with such spaces.

I last heard that the developers of this building were planning to use mirors called heliostats to reflect light into the void (light shaft) between the existing Wills Court apartments and their proposal.

I believe this proposal is still at the planning stage, not yet approved.

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Mark Baljak's picture

new design

images © Kavellaris Urban Design

existing facade changes

ground

L2

MelbourneGuy's picture

I like it. It's bold, daring, and offers something different to what we're used to.

Melbourne_Fragments's picture

tower look alright, but they just HAD to add some generic bold colour feature things to overwhelm the Art Deco facade didnt they?

Dangerous Beans's picture

I like the colour on the tower, it's welcome in the sea of grey that exists in that area. Agree that the red shroud they are proposing to add to the entrance of the Art Dec building is neither necessary or appropriate.

Michael Berquez's picture

I love it...

Kycon's picture

Looks like the north facing facade of A'beckett tower...but horribly wrong. Even Brady's job across the street are better then this.

Andrew Mck's picture

The unique roof park is gone.
That was the best thing about this.

Mark Baljak's picture

approved

MelbourneGuy's picture

I hope the colours stay true to the render.

Nicholas Harrison's picture

Site for sale with permit.

Rohan Storey's picture

ITs OK design wise, but the renders downplay how close much of it is to other buildings - again the setbacks for apartments all round are pretty minimal. The (unofficial) minimum is 10m, but here, while the apartments in Wills Court get a 6m gap for light instead of a light shaft, if there are apartments facing only the side or rear lane of the actual site, they only get about the same ! (the plans show a 12 storey building to the only undeveloped site to the west, but CofM says its 22 storeys.)

So the new minimum is 6m ? How much light will any of those apartments get, especially ones facing south ? Barely enough to read by I would think, but who actualy knows ? We need some reasonable standards.

ps are there plans of the actual apartment layout ?

Lookingupatbuildings

VCAT considered the issues you have raised in great detail before approving the latest design:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinodisp/au/cases/vic/VCAT/2013/2094.h...

Adam Ford's picture

I'm sorry, but all that concrete when you could have had glass on all sides is just a cheap waste.

Andrew's picture

Don't worry, if the site is being sold it'll probably be redesigned now.

Rohan Storey's picture

Well both VCAT decisions discuss the setback on the north side in great detail, and the second one concludes that 6m is reasonably given 'development equity' and the size of the site. (and that the north wall of the new tower should be painted white).

Neither of them examine the separation between towers on the south side (6.1m) or the west side (9m) and whether this is enough to adequately light apartments that look only onto those gaps, or indeed disadvantage the apartments at the rear of 350 or 360 (under construction). So I guess 6m is the new minimum, at least when 'development equity' is the overriding consideration.

They both note that the current guidelines recommend 25m (!!) unless habitable room do not face each other.....

Lookingupatbuildings

johnproctor's picture

If 6m was applied on both sites the minimum would be 12m but someone years ago approved and built wills tower on the adjoining site with no setback... Equity relates to not completely screwing this site because of he mistake of the past.

Sales on this project will start soon. Latest render:

Ryan Seychell's picture

Isn't the site still for sale?

Sorry, yes site is for sale not the apartments.

3000's picture

Lovely outcome.

Ryan Seychell's picture

Display suite i think:

3000's picture

I really want this built.

Display centre open this Saturday.

Glassified:

Pages

Development & Planning

Monday, January 23, 2017 - 00:00
Prominent builder Hickory Group has added a third Melbourne project that will utilise the Hickory Building System (HBS). A proponent of prefabricated construction methods, Hickory Group's latest HBS-driven project will be Brisbane outfit Blue Sky Funds' 42-50 La Trobe Street.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 00:00
On 2 January 2017, it was reported that several popular eateries and bars in Footscray had been vandalised, including the perennially successful 8 Bit Burgers on Droop Street, and Up In Smoke on Hopkins Street. 8 Bit had the warm new year's welcome gift of 14 smashed windows and the words “F**k off hipster scum” spray-painted on their entrance.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 17:00
Melbourne’s architectural landscape is a wonderful juxtaposition of modern and Victorian architecture. Although the CBD has been peppered with many skyscrapers, its historical structures have won Melbourne the title of “Australia’s most European city”.

Transport & Design

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 12:00
Timber mid-rise buildings are becoming the preferred choice for many stakeholders in Melbourne, due to a combination of factors, including cost-effectiveness, liveability, ease and efficiency of construction. Within the recent National Construction Code change, Deemed-To-Satisfy provisions allow mid-rise timber construction for buildings up to 25 metres “effective height” (typically, eight storeys).