All images courtesy SJB Architects

Elevations

Shadow

L50 amenity

Ground/podium

Finishes

Imagery

Peter Maltezos's picture

I like it, but can't see it being approved unless they chop off the top ten levels, it will overshadow the Yarra River as is.

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Laurence Dragomir's picture

You can overshadow the Yarra, just not Southbank.

Nicholas Harrison's picture

You can overshadow the north bank of the Yarra but it is highly unlikely that the current government will approve overshadowing the north bank in this case.

VCAT also decrease the height of 8 Exhibition Street so that it did not overshadow the north bank of the Yarra.

The height will have to be reduced to around 175m to not overshadow the north bank of the Yarra.

Qantas743's picture

Shame as it's a beautiful tower. :(

Chris Seals's picture

I thought the sun rose in the east and set in the west, so where does the overshadowing come from ? (difference in seasons) ?

Adrian's picture

From the looks of that shadow diagram it would have to be reduced way below 175m to not touch any of Birrarung Mar .. like 130m or so ?? The Herald Sun Building aka. Ernst & Young is only 165m and it already casts a huge shadow over Northbank as you can clearly see in the diagram above.

Hope this will just prove what a laughable situation the current government's shadowing policy is making the development unprofitable and wait until next election when Guy get's back in and approves it ..

johnproctor's picture

the shadow diagram is quite stark in highlighting hte additional shadow of this tower over the river compared to any of the existing east end buildings.

Les Whyte's picture

l love the design - shape - height and colour of this new proposal it is a beautiful looking tower, if approve it sure will bring some life to this end of town which we sure need, l will keep my fingers cross that it does get approve.

Mark Baljak's picture

maybe they went higher than the original 56 levels based on advice from the state re overshadowing the river?

It is just a ambit claim so they can can amend the application to not overshadow the north bank but keep the overshadowing of Birrarung Marr.

Applicant gets what they wanted originally and the minster gets to say he forced the developers to change the plans to prevent overshadowing of the Yarra.

Bilby's picture

Bluey66 - what do you mean by "will bring some life to this end of town"? The east end is the liveliest part of Melbourne right now, with Flinders Lane and Bourke Street particularly vibrant. with bars, cafes, galleries and cultural outlets of all kinds. What is missing in terms of "life" from this area in your view?

Ryan Seychell's picture

Flinders Lane and Bourke Street are good. Flinders Street...not so much.

Les Whyte's picture

Ryan Seychell, you it the nail on the head.... that is what l meant about bringing life to this end of town Flinders Street, near the corner or Spring Street, is boring at night time and on weekends when businesses a closed.

We need to build some more residential and hotels and shops and cafes along Flinders Street, between Spring Street and Exhibition Street, to bring more life to this end of town IMO.

johnproctor's picture

even Flinders Lane in this section is a bit average (with Collins Place taking up the whole northern frontage). I've worked in this block and as the last block beofre the rail lines (south) and parks (east) there isn't a great deal in comparison to working on Collins or Bourke Street when you are looking to duck out for 5 minutes to buy some lunch.

Bilby's picture

One site. or one block, does not make an "end of town", Bluey66. If you can't find something interesting to do, eat or drink in this neighbourhood, you aren't trying very hard. If you mean, we need to bring some life to this boring carpark site ... then yes, I would agree with that.

Dean's picture

It's amazing how adversarial you are and how you always have to be right. Such an an angry little man.

johnproctor's picture

yep. its unfortunate because quite often I agree with the principle of what he is saying just not the severe lengths to which he takes his point of view.

as I said on a comment in an article on the website the complete inability to even acknowledge anyone else's opinion is rather frustrating. getting to the point where I don't open threads if he is the last commenter.

This one is off to VCAT because the minister didn't make a decision within 60 days.

Qantas743's picture

Ooh!

What are the chances we could get the full 212m version approved?

They will be basing it on the old provisions correct?

They won't get more than 170m based on previous VCAT decisions

Riddlz's picture

Qantas743's picture

Another one which will be significantly watered down, if approved at all.

3000's picture

I have a feeling that this will cop a height reduction but at least it has some decent activation in the laneways. Some really nice trendy restaurants could make it a nice outcome at ground level, particularly on the Flinders frontage.

Mark Baljak's picture

looks the same height in than new render

Height reduced to 181.45m and 57 levels. City of Melbourne still objecting because it will not meet the new overshadowing, plot ratio and setback requirements that do not apply to this application. They want the height reduced down to 150m. From teh Council report:

The proposed height of the development at 181 metres is taller than its neighbouring towers and will dominate the cluster of towers in the immediate context and the skyline. When approaching the city from Batman Avenue and Wellington Parade the tower appears as overly dominant.

The proposed tower is considered to be an over scaled proposition and the height of the Flinders Street building is not supported.

Pages

Development & Planning

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 00:00
City of Port Phillip will this week indicate that it has sufficient reason to object to two pending projects in Port Melbourne. 17 Rocklea Drive and 365-391 Plummer Street are both within the Wirraway Precinct of Fishermans Bend, and both projects are under the authority of the Minister for Planning.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:00
The marriage of old and new can be a difficult process, particularly when the existing structure has intrinsic heritage value. In previous times Fitzroy's 237 Napier Street served as the home of furniture manufacturer C.F. Rojo and Sons. Taking root during 1887, Christobel Rojo oversaw operations though over time the site would become home to furniture manufacturer Thonet.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Friday, August 25, 2017 - 07:00
The former site of John Batman's home, Batman's Hill is entering the final stages of its redevelopment. Collins Square's final tower has begun its skyward ascent, as has Lendlease's Melbourne Quarter Commercial and Residential precinct already. Melbourne Quarter's first stage is at construction and involves a new 12-storey home for consultancy firm Arup along with a skypark.

Transport & Design

Saturday, December 9, 2017 - 00:00
Spring Street has released details of a large shutdown of the Pakenham/Cranbourne and Frankston lines which will allow workers to complete major upgrades to the rail infrastructure. The work is required to allow for the introduction of the new High Capacity Metro Trains (HCMTs) and will involve upgrading power & catenary, signalling and communications equipment in the Dandenong (Pakenham/Cranbourne) corridor.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 12:00
Cbus Property's office development for Medibank at 720 Bourke Street in Docklands recently became the first Australian existing property to receive a WELL Certification, Gold Shell and Core rating. The WELL rating goes beyond sustainable building features with a greater focus on the health and well-being of a building's occupants.