Advertisement
30 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

CBD | 377-391 Swanston Street | 33 levels | Mixed Use

Rohan Storey's picture

This site is the hungry jacks diagonally opposite the state library, and apparently got a permit from the City of Melbourne in September, but I cant find / never saw images of what it looks like ! such an important site ....

Nicholas Harrison's picture

It was approved under delegation in September. I presume that if it did not meet the overshadowing requirements then it would have gone to a Council meeting for a decision.

All I know is that it was going to have a big display screen on the corner like Emporis.

Almost anything would be better than the building on the site at the moment and the horrid blank walls of the adjoining buildings.

Dangerous Beans's picture

MGS Architects have a couple of images of 389 Swanston on their website: http://www.mgsarchitects.com.au/

Mark Baljak's picture

^^ cheers

Andrew's picture

Not crazy about this. Podium is a bit of a shocker and the current building could be effectively retained with a scrub up.

Dean's picture

^^The current building??? You're referring to the nondescript shitbox HJ's. lol Are you serious??? This will appear like a baby compared to what's going up next door.

Qantas743's picture

^^ I knew council wouldn't allow the digital screen on the podium...

We end up with the boring version.

Something went missing along the way:

The top section looks pretty similar to this building by MGS architects:

Fedsquared's picture

With Labor likely to win the coming state election and promising the original metro tunnel alignment I wonder how this will impact on those plans (wasn't the site being maintained 'as is' to allow for construction?)

An application has been submitted to demolish Deakin House next door and build another student accommodation tower.

Rohan Storey's picture

Thanks guys! Not as bad as I feared. Also CofM assures me that it won't overshadow the library forecourt before 2pm on 22nd June. But after that...

Lookingupatbuildings

Rohan Storey's picture

Don't believe they'd got as far as buying any sites or putting public purpose zoning on any sites for metro, not sure how it was to be built without any actual building sites though! Unless mainly cut and cover down swanston...

Lookingupatbuildings

Rohan Storey's picture

Great! Just need to replace the little old buildings next to deakin house, then with the huge elenburg Fraser tower, the whole north side would be a nice sun-blocking wall (because of course the Min gaps is only 10m these days).

Lookingupatbuildings

Ryan Seychell's picture

Display suite is open for this one, looks like Scape Living student accommodation. Not 100% sure but I think the design has changed slightly, may be wrong though.

Construction set to be complete by 2017, so should begin sometime this year i'd say.

Found this article:

Foreigners to invest $220m in Australia’s student housing
By Your Mortgage | 29 Jan 2015

A UK-based developer and a pension fund asset manager in the Netherlands are set to invest in Australian student housing, initially amounting to $220m.

APG has sealed an agreement with Scape Student Living to develop and manage direct-let student dwellings across Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra and Adelaide, in order to replicate London’s luxury student accommodation model. This may be the country’s first type of student housing.

http://www.yourmortgage.com.au/article/foreigners-to-invest-220m-in-aust...

johnproctor's picture

wheres the display suite?

any links to a project website?

Ryan Seychell's picture

It's either in the building or the building next door. Walked past again today but was closed. Haven't been able to find any online information as of yet, maybe they're just about to launch? They've got a tv screen with renders and stuff flashing out the front though.

Adrian's picture

Totally missed this thread and development until now.

I love the podium and it's craziness !! That corner needs something big to complement Melbourne Central and the Big Green RMIT mouth across the road and yet remain respectful to the State Library .. it's a major intersection after all.

johnproctor's picture

I went past the display suite yesterday and I actually don't think it is this site that is being promoted I believe it is the adjoining site 393 Swanston Street.

The renders on the building definitely showed that it was the site on the corner with Little La Trobe Street not La Trobe street.

Ryan Seychell's picture

Ah, that would make sense why the building looked different then.

Mark Baljak's picture

looks very much like C & K Architecture's 33 King Street

Ryan Seychell's picture

it does

LifeStyleMel's picture

Who's building this?

3000's picture

Why can't we get the digital screen? Even without it the podium is good but the screen really makes that area near MC pop.

Rohan Storey's picture

Yesterdays age has a confusing article about these two sites (?) :

"London-based student living group Scape is set to build a 1500-bed complex across the road from RMIT University in Melbourne's Swanston Street.

The accommodation provider bills itself as a "campus within a campus" – it builds, owns and leases to students studio bedrooms in towers that also include gyms, lounge, gaming and lecture rooms, as well as restaurants and bars.

The student rooms come furnished with desks, ensuites, double beds and a kitchenette.

Scape paid $35 million this week to buy two office buildings between La Trobe and Little La Trobe streets in a deal negotiated by Savills Australia's Nick Peden and Clinton Baxter.

Mr Baxter said the site got a record CBD land rate of $37,154 a square metre.

The two development sites, which had permits for 54 and 39 level towers, sit behind another Scape property at 393 Swanston Street which has a permit for 750 studios in a 45 level tower.

Scape has a 2500-bed operation in Britain backed by the $800 billion Dutch pension fund APG.

The firm's Australian managing director Stephen Gaitanos said it was aiming to own and operate 10,000 student beds in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

"We picked Melbourne and this particular part of Melbourne first because of its proximity to RMIT, Melbourne Central retail mall and train station, and the State Library," he said."

BUT Scape already had a permit for something at 393 Swanston (permit issued late last year), so either the Age is way behind, or they have just bought the corner site as well, though thats a hungry jacks, not an office building, and neither is 'behind' 393 Swanston (though there is alittle building there across a lane, but thats owned by RMIT) - anyway, if this means that they now own both already permitted development sites, maybe the whole thing will turn into one big(ish) development site ? That might be better, cos they could have slightly bigger setbacks from a more ordered podium - it was all looking a bit madly confusing with the two towers with completely different podium approaches (I love how the image in the article shows the original Scape tower, and the corner one only as a vague outline).

PS I cant work out how to embed an image...

Lookingupatbuildings

Rohan Storey's picture

OK finally worked out that this article must refer to 212-222 La Trobe Street, which got approval via VCAT, and was recently put up for sale, which means that Scape has three towers all next to each other, wrapping around the MGS corner site, and with the giant Elenberg Fraser thing just to the west. Wonder how many apartments overall are going to be looking into lightwells or at each other or gaps between buildings ? Sometimes I wonder if theres any consideration of adjacent sites, and the cumulative effect of approvals ....

Lookingupatbuildings

Pages

Development & Planning

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 00:00
City of Port Phillip will this week indicate that it has sufficient reason to object to two pending projects in Port Melbourne. 17 Rocklea Drive and 365-391 Plummer Street are both within the Wirraway Precinct of Fishermans Bend, and both projects are under the authority of the Minister for Planning.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:00
The marriage of old and new can be a difficult process, particularly when the existing structure has intrinsic heritage value. In previous times Fitzroy's 237 Napier Street served as the home of furniture manufacturer C.F. Rojo and Sons. Taking root during 1887, Christobel Rojo oversaw operations though over time the site would become home to furniture manufacturer Thonet.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Friday, August 25, 2017 - 07:00
The former site of John Batman's home, Batman's Hill is entering the final stages of its redevelopment. Collins Square's final tower has begun its skyward ascent, as has Lendlease's Melbourne Quarter Commercial and Residential precinct already. Melbourne Quarter's first stage is at construction and involves a new 12-storey home for consultancy firm Arup along with a skypark.

Transport & Design

Saturday, December 9, 2017 - 00:00
Spring Street has released details of a large shutdown of the Pakenham/Cranbourne and Frankston lines which will allow workers to complete major upgrades to the rail infrastructure. The work is required to allow for the introduction of the new High Capacity Metro Trains (HCMTs) and will involve upgrading power & catenary, signalling and communications equipment in the Dandenong (Pakenham/Cranbourne) corridor.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 12:00
Cbus Property's office development for Medibank at 720 Bourke Street in Docklands recently became the first Australian existing property to receive a WELL Certification, Gold Shell and Core rating. The WELL rating goes beyond sustainable building features with a greater focus on the health and well-being of a building's occupants.