Last post

Pages

CBD | 380 Melbourne | 380 Lonsdale Street | 213m & 166m | 70L & 55L | Mixed Use

Mark Baljak's picture

after almost two years, it's been approved

Spowers Architects

AFR
Lonsdale car park for sale, with high rise approval

Melbourne’s booming CBD residential development market will be tested with the offer of a car park site that comes with a planning permit for a $480 million tower.

The 3165 square metre site at 380 Lonsdale currently hosts a 445 bay commercial car park, 5130sq m of office space, along with ground level retail tenancies.

The property is owned by private firm VIP Glomac, which is controlled by a veteran Malaysian investor and property developer, Kiam Thiam Lim.

The $40 million-plus piece of real estate has considerable development upside, recently gaining a permit for a 46-level mixed use development.

The approved project comprises 627 apartments and ground level retail. The owner has also won the right to develop a 445-bay commercial car park, in addition to residential parking.

Melbman's picture

^^ Hadn't seen that one in a while.

Saw it in the paper today and thought I hadn't seen this proposal before but the podium made me remember.

Ryan Seychell's picture

a couple of clearer renders:

Alastair Taylor's picture

getting more and more interesting.

Chris Peska's picture

I actually really like how Spowers have designed this building and positioned it on a slightly angle. Adds visual interest and even more bulk? What do others think?

Observe. Design. Build. Live.

Andrew Mck's picture

The laneway treatment couldve been better, but the bridges gives it a nice touch.
The podium is better than most, but the tower looks alittle thick and stumpy with that angle imo.

Laurence Dragomir's picture

The girth of the tower bothers me as does the facade.

Mark Baljak's picture

New sale evidence of Asia interest
BY:SARAH DANCKERT

>> SINGAPORE-listed Hiap Hoe has snapped up a site in Melbourne's Lonsdale Street that has a permit for a $480 million mixed-use development.

The development company paid $43.8m for 380 Lonsdale Street in its second purchase in Melbourne in recent months.

The 3165sq m site spans an entire city block and holds a 445-space commercial carpark, about 5000sq m of office space and retail outlets on the ground floor. The site has frontages to Lonsdale and Little Lonsdale streets.

Hiap Hoe purchased the property from VIP Glomac, a private company controlled by Malaysia's Kiam Thiam Lim.

Hiap Hoe executive chairman Teo Ho Beng said the group planned to develop the property in the future and in the interim receive an income yield from the property of close to 6 per cent.

>> Hiap Hoe plans to start work on its development within 12 to 24 months.

The project will include 627 apartments, and 740 commercial and residential carparking spaces. It will retain retail on the ground level, according to executive director Tracy Wun.

Melbman's picture

^^ Damn, they are getting busy in the Melbourne market.

Good to see.

Fedsquared's picture

http://www.finanznachrichten.de/pdf/20131003_172523_5JK_0A8DBE8BA8F60572...

Hiap Hoe has also today formally completed the A$43.8 million acquisition of 380
Lonsdale Street; and unveiled plans for the development of two towers of 51 and 47
storeys on top of a 5 storey podium, with an option to go up to 59 storeys. The
proposed development will feature 658 apartments, 1,344 sq m of retail space, a 399
space car parking facility as well as a 350-room upper-scale hotel.

The 30-month redevelopment of 380 Lonsdale is scheduled to commence in the first
quarter of 2014 with completion expected by mid 2017. The appointed architect for
the proposed mixed development on 380 Lonsdale Street is Elenberg Fraser, a
renowned integrated design practice operating across the Asia-Pacific region.

2 towers now and an Elenberg Fraser redesign. Will be interesting to see new design.

Ryan Seychell's picture

Glad that's the case, i like the current podium but the tower above looks terrible. Hiap Hoe are going to be busy next year!

Laurence Dragomir's picture

Good news. Never really liked its girth.

Melbman's picture

More hotel space? Interesting.

I guess if the Hilton in East Melbourne does close, then some rooms will be taken out of the market at the higher end, but the Sheraton is coming along soon too.

Lately hotel occupancy and room rates have increased in Melbourne which is a good thing, so lets hope that continues and brings further capacity.

Mark Baljak's picture

consigned to history, spowers renders

Hiap Hoe signs with Probuild
October 05, 2013

SINGAPORE-listed Hiap Hoe, which has just bought three large sites in Melbourne with a development end value of $1 billion, has struck a memorandum of understanding with Probuild Construction, to pursue a joint venture as it expands in Australia.

Hiap Hoe, which controls a portfolio of mixed-use properties in Singapore, signed the deal with Probuild this week.

They will work together on the Singapore group's recently acquired sites in Melbourne's Docklands and at 380 Lonsdale Street.

The developer will use Probuild as head contractor.

Hiap Hoe completed its $43.8m acquisition of 380 Lonsdale Street last Thursday and unveiled plans to develop two towers of 51 and 47 storeys on top of a five-storey podium, with an option to go up to 59 storeys.

The development will have 658 apartments, 1344sq m of retail space and 399 parking spaces, as well as a 350-room upscale hotel.

The redevelopment is slated to begin early next year, with completion expected by mid-2017. Architects Elenberg Fraser have been appointed.

- See more at: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/property/hiap-hoe-signs-with-pr...

Andrew Mck's picture

I can't wait for the new EF's renders .
And if they are fantastic as i expect them to be then lets hope it ends up 59 levels .

Mark Baljak's picture

Aloft Hotels will operate the hotel aspect, can't be too far off a new design reveal

Mark Baljak's picture

new EF design has WOW factor! will be a landmark for sure - looks to be 50 & 60 level towers

supersize this

Ryan Seychell's picture

was going to say it reminded me of this one, very similar indeed.

Mark Baljak's picture

somewhere just under 200m probably

Peter Maltezos's picture

The Elenberg Fraser wavy skyscrapers if all built will become a Melbourne style talked about everywhere.

I can live with that! yessmileyyescool

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Melbourne_Fragments's picture

Tower a vast improvement over old design, but the podium looks woeful. I don't tink EF really know how to design for streetscapes, all just individual models.
with all the talk of a 'Melbourne style laneway' going through this, want to see how the authentic Heape court lane next door is treated, will the current brick wall be replaced by a slab of concrete?

Nicholas Harrison's picture

Compared to what is there at the moment...

Mark Baljak's picture
Mark Baljak's picture

TPM-2011-48/A
Mixed use development comprising 48 storey residential tower with lower level office and retail uses (DPCD permit application ref: 2011/013331)

opposed to

Hiap Hoe completed its $43.8m acquisition of 380 Lonsdale Street last Thursday and unveiled plans to develop two towers of 51 and 47 storeys on top of a five-storey podium, with an option to go up to 59 storeys.

Qantas743's picture

Damn, why have they watered it down?

Mark Baljak's picture

may be two distinct stages, see what happens once the planning app is collected

Pages

Development & Planning

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 12:00
The swirl of development activity in Footscray has found another gear as new projects are submitted for approval, or are on the verge of beginning construction. Two separate planning applications have been advertised by Maribyrnong City Council; their subsequent addition to the Urban Melbourne Project Database has seen the overall number of apartment developments within Footscray in development swell to 40.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:00
The marriage of old and new can be a difficult process, particularly when the existing structure has intrinsic heritage value. In previous times Fitzroy's 237 Napier Street served as the home of furniture manufacturer C.F. Rojo and Sons. Taking root during 1887, Christobel Rojo oversaw operations though over time the site would become home to furniture manufacturer Thonet.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Friday, August 25, 2017 - 07:00
The former site of John Batman's home, Batman's Hill is entering the final stages of its redevelopment. Collins Square's final tower has begun its skyward ascent, as has Lendlease's Melbourne Quarter Commercial and Residential precinct already. Melbourne Quarter's first stage is at construction and involves a new 12-storey home for consultancy firm Arup along with a skypark.

Transport & Design

Friday, December 15, 2017 - 11:00
Infrastructure Victoria unveiled a new round of research into its larger programme of work dealing with managing transport demand. The authority contracted Arup and KPMG to produce the Melbourne Activity Based Model (MABM) and while it is new, it is considered fit for purpose in the strategic context.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 12:00
Cbus Property's office development for Medibank at 720 Bourke Street in Docklands recently became the first Australian existing property to receive a WELL Certification, Gold Shell and Core rating. The WELL rating goes beyond sustainable building features with a greater focus on the health and well-being of a building's occupants.