Advertisement
45 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

CBD | 48-50 A'Beckett Street | 198m | 59L | Residential

Mark Baljak's picture

Despite land values doubling in A'Beckett Street since 2012, the density of proposed replacement towers is substantially shrinking.

In a show of this boom's pace and power, the new owner of a 724-square-metre block at 48-50 A'Beckett Street has applied to build a 56-level apartment tower with 329 flats and just eight car parks.

The application comes two years after the owner of an 1896-square-metre block at nearby 127-141 A'Beckett Street received approval for a then "landmark" skyscraper rising 63 levels and including 632 flats.

Last year, Singapore developer Aspial Corporation applied to build an 81-level, 750-unit building (with 126 car parks) on a 1250-square-metre site at 54-64 A'Beckett Street.

A few months ago, a 1741-square-metre block at 111-125 A'Beckett Street was sold to a developer for $38 million after last exchanging in 2012 for $19 million.

The applicant for 48-50 A'Beckett Street, a local consortium, paid $9.2 million for the battleaxe-shaped site in late 2012. A year earlier, the land was approved for a 39-level tower. In 2010, the City of Melbourne approved an 18-level building for the block after previously rejecting a 45-level proposal.

Despite the latest proposal being at the application stage, the developer is marketing flats within the 48-50 A'Beckett Street complex. At present, the property accommodates a low-rise office occupied by construction group Probuild and, prior to that, the Carrick Institute of Education.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/property/capital-gain-land-values-doub...

the previous proposal

the format of the plans below suggests a Hayball design?

3000's picture

No.

Ryan Seychell's picture

Surely the new proposal will be a substantially better design than this one. How wide is this site, in comparison to say Collins House or Phoenix? I highly doubt that proposal would have been approved.

3000's picture

The site is tiny compared to what else is there. And I'm pretty sure this sits way close to my80?

Riddlz's picture

There's a whole other building proposed between this and MY80.

Crz's picture

Bes proposal yet. I hope Dick approves this. *sarcasm*

How is it possible that anyone can even put forward such crap proposall

3000's picture

You're right. My mistake, it's that purple fridge soon to be next to it.

Mark Baljak's picture

Chinese group Oceania plans 329-unit tower in Melbourne CBD

New entrant to the Melbourne apartment scene, private Chinese developer Oceania Construction Group has lodged plans for a 329-unit tower in Melbourne’s CBD.

Oceania purchased the property at 48-50 A’Beckett Street on the western reaches of the CBD in 2011.

The Chinese developer has recently filed a planning application to build a 59-storey residential tower on the site. The building will stretch 198 metres and hold 329 apartments. It will also include ground floor retail.

The narrow block sits in a prime location between Elizabeth and Swanston streets.

It is next to the recreational facilities of RMIT University and less than 100m from the university itself.

Little-known developer Lawrence Xu is the sole director of Oceania Construction Group, according to documents filed with the Australian Securities & Investments Commission. Mr Xu could not be contacted.

The A’Beckett Street site came with a permit for a much larger development when Oceania purchased the property.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/property/chinese-group-oceania-...

3000's picture

I really hope this isn't approved.

tiankd74's picture

I know that a couple Chinese real estate agents are selling this new building. The price is more than $10,000 per square meter. They are selling fast, and I am just wondering has this been approved?

Peter Maltezos's picture

^^ Red flags popping up here!

Do not buy, has not been approved and will probably, no definitely not get approved in its current shape.

This proposal would have to be one of the worst I have ever seen!no

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

tiankd74's picture

I totally agree with you! This is the worst I have seen as well. I don't understand how and why the government should allow or give the businessmen the chance to create this stupid stuff. Government should encourage the big developers to purchase the big land, and encourage them to create better buildings and more public area for the city. Should not allow the small developers to create pencil buildings to destroy the city!

3000's picture

Pencil thin can work when done well. The Phoenix is a good example but this is garbage.

Mark Baljak's picture

Aren't we missing detailed designs/plans before we can pass judgement?

tiankd74's picture

Good point. I know they are selling the apartments, but even the agents they don't have the render of the building. They only have the price list and the floor plan.

3000's picture

Perhaps they just assumed it would be approved

Ryan Seychell's picture

Lel:

3000's picture

What a quality proposal.

Mark Baljak's picture

like to see it in context. the west should be blocked off leaving hopefully an active eastern facade

Peter Maltezos's picture

Quite different from the original concept, but still looks like a glorified lift core.

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Ryan Seychell's picture

I had a quick look at an aerial view of the site, it really will be covered in on most sides - 97 Franklin to the north, Avant to the west, RMIT to the east (depending on what they put up but last I heard was something 50+ levels). The only real side which will be seen is the glazed area. Hopefully that's the case anyway

tiankd74's picture

Does anyone know how we can check whether a new project has been approval or not? Quite a lot of agents are selling this project, and I guess it might have been approved or at least close. Personally, I don't think it is a good approach, since it does not take the surroundings into consideration. It creates a huge wall that blocks everyone nearby. It is 56 levels based on the agent's info.

tiankd74's picture

http://b.domainstatic.com.au/w800-h600-2011932882_3_pi_150427_060128

That is a render. I don't know how to show the image, so just put the link here.

Riddlz's picture

Fixed it up for you. If only that front facade went all the way around the building...and the building itself put in a different location...

Qantas743's picture

This will be right up against the Aspial proposal.

There's no way both will be approved. I know which one I'd rather have - and it ain't this one!

3000's picture

that wall...

Pages

Development & Planning

Monday, March 27, 2017 - 00:00
Brunswick's Nightingale 1 apartment project reached a significant milestone on Friday, with constructor Project Group holding a ‘Topping Out’ ceremony for the build. Underpinned by the principles of wellbeing and liveability, the Nightingale series of apartment projects are becoming increasingly popular with purchasers, as evidenced by the 2,000 strong waiting list for future Nightingale releases.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Thursday, March 9, 2017 - 12:00
As part of the enabling stage of the Queen Victoria Market Renewal Project, the City of Melbourne has finally revealed their plans for the former Munro site, to be developed by PDG Corporation into a mixed-use development comprising a 58-storey Bates Smart designed-tower of 308 dwellings and a 300-room hotel, after the developer was awarded the rights to develop the site on CoM's behalf.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 07:00
Once again Melbourne has turned it on for the spectacular cultural juggernaut that is White Night. A crowd of around 600,000 took part in the all night festival of projections, performances, artworks and installations. Stealing the show again this year was the extraordinary projections upon the Royal Exhibition Building.

Transport & Design

Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 12:00
The large-scale redevelopment of Richmond's former Jaques engineering complex has been marked by an number of onsite dedications. Dating back to 1885 and with frontages to Palmer, Coppin, Dyer and Griffiths Streets, the 9,945sqm site's engineering heritage has been permanently embossed across the site.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 13:00
Victoria Walks, a walking promotion charity supported by VicHeath, is leading a crowdsourcing initiative that is supported by the State Government and 14 councils. The campaign aims to collect and analyse opinions on walking right across the Melbourne metropolitan area. The authorities are asking people to indicate their walking safety concerns through an interactive online map on CrowdSpot's platform.