Advertisement
37 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

CBD | 63 Exhibition Street | 203m | 58L | Mixed Use

Nicholas Harrison's picture

Mixed use tower with 328 apartments, 225 hotel rooms and 20 car parking spaces.

Asia One is the developer for this one:

http://www.ao-property.com/

A permit for a DCM designed 44 storey, 143m high tower was approved on the site in 2001 but never built.

MelbourneGuy's picture

I like!

Andrew's picture

101 Collins street won't be pleased. At least for them it isn't competing office space.

I'm hoping that darker podium section is the hotel and not carparking, there is no excuse for multilevel podium carparking in this area of the city.

Mark Baljak's picture

solid design, lack of podium may raise a few eyebrows

Mark Baljak's picture

You still got the DCM design floating around Nick?

Melbman's picture

Decent design. Suits that area fairly well.

Ryan Seychell's picture

Wish that bottom pic is how the whole building would look, would look amazing. Still good though. Anyone know who's designed this one? Looks like these guys have 35 King Street also.

Michael Berquez's picture

Cant work out where it is...looks like its in exactly the same spot as that tower going up in the forecourt of Nauru house.

Andrew's picture

This building? Nah, Exhibition Street.
Here is the site, OFS Centre.

You're thinking of 80 Collins St, which sits next to Naru House:
https://urbanmelbourne.info/projects/cbd-east-end/80-collins-street-melb...

Edit: Here is a really rubbish paintover looking down collins street at the intersection with Exhibition. 63 Ex on left (this one) 80 Collins on right. Terrible perspective and art etc.

Rohan Storey's picture

Yes extremely annoyed about lack of podium !

There is sits between two heritage buildings, both the same height, could so easily have a podium that has a strong horizontal, or at least a sharp bend, at the cornice level, creating a bit of actual streetscape, carrying the same- height building row of the clubs on Collins Street and the 101 podium around the corner.

Why is that important ? Well, a streetscape made up of rows of similar height buildings makes up a thing that is greater than a sum of its parts. A streetscape that is visually cohesive is more satisfying than, a bunch of random buildings that happen to be next to each other. This has long been seen as an urban ideal - from renaissance italy to 19th C paris to interwar Melbourne - the buildings on Collins Street arnt the same height by accident. Its not always necessary to do this of course, but this is a case where such a streetscape already exists, and to interrupt rather than complete it, is a shame.

Lookingupatbuildings

Peter Maltezos's picture

History lesson:

Exhibition Street in 1935.

This section of Exhibition Street was known as Collins Place back then and if you go back another 60 years, Exhibition Street was known as Stephen Street.

The proposed tower will be built between the two prominent buildings on the left.

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Rohan Storey's picture

PS the DCM scheme did exactly that, with a podium up to the cornice line, then a dark coloured setback of about 6m, then a bit of a cantilever forward, and a big cantilever (about 10m) over Harley House (and the lane), with nice big chunky angled struts, in fact Harley House was to be the entrance via a bridge over the lane. This was all was OK in my opinion, but apparently the City of Melb didnt like it, 'too dominating' in a sensitive area - how things have changed !

Sorry no images, only memories. The only thing I didnt like about it was that the tower itself had a main facade of just horizontal slots, looked like a gas wall heater.....

Lookingupatbuildings

Andrew's picture

Rohan Storey wrote on Sat, 13/09/2014 - 12:34

Yes extremely annoyed about lack of podium !

There is sits between two heritage buildings, both the same height, could so easily have a podium that has a strong horizontal, or at least a sharp bend, at the cornice level, creating a bit of actual streetscape, carrying the same- height building row of the clubs on Collins Street and the 101 podium around the corner.

It has a sloped setback starting a level below the two neighbours, it just isn't as pronounced as a podium as most buildings. I think it'll be noticeable at street level, we just need some clearer and larger renders of this building.

Bilby's picture

As well as the podium and streetscape issues, there is also the issue of scale - and I'm not talking about the height of the proposed building. The vertical bands on the building give the impression of a building that has been magnified in size compared with the existing fine grain structures around it. To me, this just doesn't work with the scale of the street and structures nearby and needs a finer facade treatment in terms of the detailing and mass of the columns that run right to street level.

Riddlz's picture

Bigger renders

It's actually designed Elenberg Fraser

3000's picture

That podium is a shocker. I find it hard that this was the best outcome EF could create given the historical context of the area.
When EF are good they are good, but every so often they churn out some oddball shit like this.

Qantas743's picture

I actually quite like the podium. The way they've incorporated the setback is quite clever.

Do we know what CoM's view on this one is?

elev8's picture

Absolutely love the way the building flows from the ground, using the diagrid design for the podium into the classic glass treatment for the tower proper. Would love to see a closer view of the street level treatment but I would bet that a high end fashion label would clammer to get a position in such a beautiful tower.

Adam Ford's picture

Sorry, I'm loving the podium. The street massing effect is fantastic.

Chris Seals's picture

I know a person who shares the same name Adam.

MelbourneGuy's picture

Great podium. Flows beautifully from the main building.

johnproctor's picture

I like the podium too

3000's picture

Looks like I'm one of the few that doesn't like the way it sits in the context of the street

Qantas743's picture

If JP likes it then it MUST be good!

elev8's picture

I think they've done really good job of blending this design into the streetscape. The design will last the test of time and will complement its surroundings.

Mark Baljak's picture

Salta joins with Asia One to build city apartment tower

One of Australia's largest private developers, Salta Properties, has formed a high-profile joint venture with Malaysian developer Asia One to build a high-rise tower on a Melbourne site occupied by a 14-storey office building.

The 50-50 deal for a $300 million development comes after the two developers purchased 63 Exhibition Street in March last year for $37.5 million.

Melbourne and Sydney have seen surprisingly few joint ventures between local and Asian companies, despite a flood of offshore money into both cities' apartment markets.

"They [Asia One] acquired this site and felt they needed some local expertise and knocked on our door," Salta managing director Sam Tarascio said. "I think we'll probably see more of it."

Salta last month took the unusual step of opening a sales office in Kuala Lumpur to showcase its Australian developments.

The concrete and steel ASF House on Exhibition Street, whose tenants include Assured Insurance Brokers, Australian Seniors Finance, Camelot Derivatives and Hub furniture at street level, will be demolished to make way for a tower rising up to 64 levels, although the site has yet to gain planning approval.

Mr Tarascio said while there were fewer residential towers being built at the eastern end of Melbourne's CBD than in the west, the precedent for taller buildings remained.

The site is directly behind 35 Spring Street where Cbus is constructing an upmarket tower.

ut another building proposed by Grocon at 85 Spring Street ran into difficulties when its plans for a 40-level apartment were rejected this week by Planning MinisterRichard Wynne.

"If it takes us a couple of years to get the right planning outcome, then we'll take that time," Mr Tarascio said.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/salta-joins-with-asia-one-to-build-cit...

Pages

Development & Planning

Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 12:00
The City of Melbourne's Future (Planning) Committee this week resolved to issue conditional approval for a 10-storey building at 1071-1081 Hoddle Street in East Melbourne. The building would rise to a height of 31.54m and accommodate 26 apartments on a triangular shaped site with a total area of 311 sqm.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 - 12:00
Carolyn Whitzman , University of Melbourne Liveability is an increasingly important goal of Australian planning policy. And creating cities where residents can get to most of the services they need within 20 to 30 minutes has been proposed, at both federal and state level, as a key liveability-related mechanism.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 12:00
Part Three follows on from the Part One: Yarra's Edge and Part Two: Victoria Harbour. The focus of today's piece will be NewQuay and Harbour Town, the northern most precincts within Docklands. NewQuay NewQuay was the first precinct to open way back in 2003 and has probably evolved the most.

Transport & Design

Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 07:15
CBRE in recent weeks has begun marketing a development site at 118 City Road in Southbank which has been branded as 'Flagship'. The 6,191sqm site is currently home to a BMW dealership and showroom, and has significant potential to add to what is set to become on of the densest city blocks in Melbourne, boasting towers of 200m through to over 300m.

Sustainability & Environment

Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 12:00
The greening of Southbank is a step closer to reality following the endorsement of the draft concept plan for Southbank Boulevard and Dodds Street by the Future Melbourne Committee on Tuesday, 18 July, 2017.