Advertisement
115 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

CBD | 85 Spring Street | 142m | 39L | Residential

Mark Baljak's picture

Grocon plans 40-storey Spring St apartment tower
February 5, 2014

Spring Street is fast becoming the city's equivalent of top-end Toorak, with property developer Grocon submitting plans for a premium 40-level apartment tower.
But the building, just two doors down from the heritage-listed Windsor Hotel, is set to soar diagonally across from Melbourne's Parliament House and is likely to prove controversial following a recent outcry about tall buildings dominating the city's skyline.
The tower's glass and concrete exterior will be double the height of the existing 16-storey Esanda office building it is due to replace and is far taller than the controversial 27-level redevelopment of the Windsor.
That project, slammed by opponents, was appealed to VCAT and the Supreme Court.
Advertisement
Grocon's newly appointed chief executive Carolyn Viney said 85 Spring Street complied with planning guidelines. ''The sensitivity is the overshadowing of Treasury Gardens and it's been specifically designed to take account of that,'' Ms Viney said.
The building is about 25 paces outside the Bourke Hill heritage zone, designed to protect views of Victoria's Parliament.
Its location was already surrounded by similar sized or taller buildings, Planning Minister Matthew Guy said.
''It is being considered but no decision has been made,'' Mr Guy said.
The tower is the street's second skyscraper in as many years.
Cbus Property has begun demolishing at 35 Spring Street on the corner of Flinders Lane to make way for a 43-level tower with 270 units.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/business/grocon-plans-40storey-spring-st-apartm...

Interesting crown...

Andrew's picture

Interesting to see all these apartments pop up for Spring St. It makes sense, nice views at the edge of the city.

Hopefully something is done with the forecourt and station entrance sometime to help make a little plaza area.

MelbourneGuy's picture

It beats me why the Spring st area has taken so long to develop as it's certainly in the more scenic part of the city.

Mark Baljak's picture

Ryan Seychell's picture

Don't really like the design but if it's dark blue glass should look good.

Mark Baljak's picture

Melbourne_Fragments's picture

boring shelves, hope this is just an early concept

Ryan Seychell's picture

^ nope

Bilby's picture

For such a prime site, that is a very dull design. Surely the architect and develop could do better than this, given the potential high spend on apartments at this end of town?

Mark Baljak's picture

bit of laurie magic

DCM renders

Nicholas Harrison's picture

The plans have been amended and this one is now 169.58m and 46 level high.

Ryan Seychell's picture

Amended design: Still not sure if i like it.. 

Laurence Dragomir's picture

I think I prefer that.

Purple Dawn's picture

Meddle, meddle, meddle!

Seemingly all follow-up designs are a poor imitation of the original vision.

Andrew's picture

I quite like the change, something different. I wish the curve was spread over a few more levels and not as sharp.

Bilby's picture

Melbourne deserves better than this. Is anyone on this forum happy with such a lacklustre architectural response in this location?

MelbourneGuy's picture

I don't see a problem with this. Sure it's a bit different, but architecture should include bold and artistic elements to it. In the end, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the design because it's elegant, futuristic and it pushes the boundaries a bit.

Bilby's picture

What boundary is this building pushing, though?

Main issue seems to be that this new building is adding nothing at street level compared to now, not fixing any problems with the lack of streetscape/ activity along Spring st, nor does it seem to be utlising Ulster lane/Coates lane/ little Collins at all besides a single shop/carpark lifts...

Melbourne Muse's picture

I think it's a clear improvement on the original box.

Marvelous Mega-Melbourne

Mark Baljak's picture

what can they do by way of activating Spring Street? The station entrance is some sort of impediment

apartments down to 303

Not sure. maybe more small council backed stuff like flower shop/newspaper stand/crepery/coffee stand things that are along swanston street

Peter Maltezos's picture

I like the new design, a great improvement! yessmileyyes

I have faith in DCM, I'm sure the final product will have a high quality finish to it as well.

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Qantas743's picture
Bilby's picture

It was a poorly articulated building in the wrong location that didn't address the planning guidelines for the precinct - what other decision could realistically have been made here?

Mark Baljak's picture

AFR's take

Vic's new Planning Minister Richard Wynne nixes Grocon tower

Victoria's new Planning Minister Richard Wynne has put the state's property industry on notice with his first refusal of a large development project, an upmarket high-rise apartment project by Grocon at the so-called Paris end of central Melbourne.

Mr Wynne ruled the proposed 46-level tower at 85 Spring Street, a stone's throw from the state Parliament, was too high and too close to other buildings in the precinct.

In doing so, Mr Wynne, a former housing minister in a previous Labor government and a former lord mayor of Melbourne, has preferred the advice of city hall over his planning officers, who had recommended in favour of the tower, with conditions.

The city council, which does not have authority over projects as big as Grocon's, had objected to the project as an over-development that would affect nearby heritage buildings and the public realm.

"I have to balance up advice. In this circumstance there was competing advice," Mr Wynne said. "If you look at what else is around it, the rest are substantially lower buildings."

Mr Wynne confirmed it was his first development refusal since assuming the role of Planning Minister.

Pages

Development & Planning

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 07:00
Another of the squadron of tall residential towers dotting the CBD's northern expanses has topped out. Empire Melbourne is a predominantly precast monolith highlighted by vertical gold fins set at different angles. Head contractor Probuild last week took Empire Melbourne to its high point, topping out the tower with the final level completed.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Friday, May 19, 2017 - 00:00
Rachel Ong , Curtin University ; Christopher Phelps , Curtin University ; Gavin Wood , RMIT University , and Steven Rowley , Curtin University Australia’s capital cities are getting more and more units, that are largely concentrated and come with a hefty price tag, a new report shows .

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 07:00
Once again Melbourne has turned it on for the spectacular cultural juggernaut that is White Night. A crowd of around 600,000 took part in the all night festival of projections, performances, artworks and installations. Stealing the show again this year was the extraordinary projections upon the Royal Exhibition Building.

Transport & Design

Friday, May 26, 2017 - 00:00
On Wednesday next week, RMIT's Centre for Urban Research is holding its third monthly Talking Transport event: The Melbourne Airport Rail Link, are we there yet? It is a free, ticketed event , to be held at RMIT's Building 80 - located at 445 Swanston Street - level 11, room 10 from 6:00 pm.

Sustainability & Environment

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 12:00
Over the course of the last week OSK Property has released images of a new Southbank park within its Melbourne Square development. The large public park will occupy more than 20 per cent of overall site and will be one of the first stages of the project to be delivered.