Last post

Pages

CBD | 97 Franklin Street | 61L | 199m | Mixed Use

Mark Baljak's picture

Hassell Architects - delighted the below design is what has been submitted

AFR
Chinese investors seek tower of gold

NICK LENAGHAN
Shanghai-based property developer Artemis Hotel Group is planning a ­distinctive $200 million golden-glazed residential and serviced apartment project in central Melbourne.

The distinctive 62-storey ­de­velopment could potentially become a vehicle for Chinese investors seeking residency in Australia through the new significant investor scheme.

Already in the United States, Artemis Hotel Group is developing a 225-room hotel at Des Moines, in Washington state, near the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.

The developers have been pitching the Des Moines development at ­Chinese investors, who can take ­advantage of a US visa scheme for foreign investors who invest $US500,000 ($550,000) or $US1 million in the US economy.

Artemis director Chun Yang this month registered a new company in Australia, Yareton Management. In the US, Mr Yang is the chief executive of Yareton Investment and Management, which manages the investor process.

Artemis also operates the Shanghai Lexington Plaza Mingde Hotel, a 288-room, four-star hotel complex.

In Melbourne, Artemis this month lodged plans for its latest project at 97 Franklin Street on the northern edge of the central business district.

GOLDEN HUE
Designed by architecture firm Hassell, the tower rises to 212.5 metres, not far from the Carlton Gardens.

“This building is to offer a strong branding message for both itself and the Artemis Hotel Group as its first ­Australian development,” Artemis said in the proposal.

The 52,000 square-metre tower is set on a 2000 square-metre site, boxed in by surrounding buildings.

In response, the Hassell team created two distinct rectangular ­volumes, twisting one on top of the other, to increase the amenity and space around the lower half of the building.

The shining surface of the 551-unit tower has been glazed, giving the building a spectacular golden hue.

Australia’s significant investor visa scheme requires a $5 million investment to become eligible for an immigration visa. The investment must be channelled into compliant funds.

Several managers have already established pooled real estate funds to cater for the capital inflow, from Chinese investors especially. In 2012-13, China became the largest source of ­foreign investment in Australian ­property with $5.9 billion in purchases.

Dean's picture

I could be wrong but i think they just quoted the RL for the top level off the plans. Since the ground around there is about RL17m, i'd say this is will be around 195-196m.

I hope im wrong though.

Qantas743's picture

Some on SSC suggesting this could run into trouble due to the building overhanging the footpath/public realm. Any thoughts Nick (or anyone else)?

Laurence Dragomir's picture

Does it have a detrimental effect on the public domain? Not really. The cantilevet occurs on the northern side but isn't significant enough to impact negatively on the street by way of overshadowing.

As a matter of principle however councils generally discourage anything beyond the site boundaries and in this instance could potentially make a developer a profit from air rights over a public footpath.

Hard to say based on that render alone but the podium might actually be setback from the street withe the volume above in line with the northern site boundary.

Mark Baljak's picture

216m....what a design

Ryan Seychell's picture

^^ awesome!

Peter Maltezos's picture

^^ Love your renderings Laurence! yessmileyyes

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Mark Baljak's picture

indeed it is

to clarify, 216 to top of LMR

Alec T's picture

Oh no... is this really going to happen? I live just next to it at Franklin Loft...not sure what sort of effect that would have.. :(

Peter Maltezos's picture

^^ The western afternoon heat will disappear, will that be such a bad thing? 

thecollectormm.com.au

Alec T's picture

Would it overshadow the podium level of franklin loft? I am worried that it will block any sun light from the western side...

Any idea when this will commence?

Les Whyte's picture

97 Franklin Street, has not yet been approve so who knows if and when it will commence construction time will tell.

Mark Baljak's picture

no overhang/intrusion into the public domain/footpath

i'll add more later

Mark Baljak's picture

whole floor penthouse L60

Ryvan L's picture

on first look...
the upper portion is only 5m setback from Lighthouse tower?
didn't expect we are moving towards the direction of 'hong kong' urban planning typology where every building are densely packed!
i do not object to densifying the city but having two similar scale towers directly next to each other is not what i wish future Melbourne to look like!

Lighthouse's podium is built to the boundary but the tower element is setback so the seperation between the two towers is actually about 10m on the upper levels.

Ryvan L's picture

correct me if im wrong.....

The low-rise volume employs the following setbacks from relevant boundaries:
5m from Southern Boundary (setback from new development on abeckett st)
8.2m from Eastern Boundary​ (setback to existing franklin loft apartment)
0m from Franklin Street (this is the cantilever part to the front of the building)
13.2m from Western Boundary (setback to lighthouse development)

High-rise setbacks to relevant boundaries:
22.2m from Southern Boundary (setback from new development on abeckett st)
0m from Eastern Boundary (setback to existing franklin loft apartment, luckily this height is already above franklin loft)
10m from Franklin Street (setback to the franklin st)
5m from Western Boundary (setback to lighthouse development)

Melbman's picture

These 2 towers sited next to each other will be impressive.

Great designs each of them, but yes, quite close together they will be.

Correct except the tower element of Lighthouse is also setback from the boundary, thus the setback is actually greater than 5m.

Ryvan L's picture

did the architect 'COPY & PASTE' from this famous architect.....

http://www.oma.eu/projects/2006/111-first-street/

MelbourneGuy's picture

Good find Ryan, I think you're right.

Mark Baljak's picture

someone once said something about imitation and flattery...

Peter Maltezos's picture

laugh LOL! The ultimate compliment!

111 First Street New Jersey, USA

thecollectormm.com.au

Bilby's picture

It wouldn't be out of place in Fritz Lang's 1926 film, 'Metropolis'!

Paolo's picture

Approved today.

RT @MatthewGuyMP: Approved- 97 Franklin St permit. Council called it iconic, extraordinary. 63L, 367 homes, hotel, $190m build value. http://t.co/hifEzCEwus

Pages

Development & Planning

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 12:00
The swirl of development activity in Footscray has found another gear as new projects are submitted for approval, or are on the verge of beginning construction. Two separate planning applications have been advertised by Maribyrnong City Council; their subsequent addition to the Urban Melbourne Project Database has seen the overall number of apartment developments within Footscray in development swell to 40.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:00
The marriage of old and new can be a difficult process, particularly when the existing structure has intrinsic heritage value. In previous times Fitzroy's 237 Napier Street served as the home of furniture manufacturer C.F. Rojo and Sons. Taking root during 1887, Christobel Rojo oversaw operations though over time the site would become home to furniture manufacturer Thonet.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Friday, August 25, 2017 - 07:00
The former site of John Batman's home, Batman's Hill is entering the final stages of its redevelopment. Collins Square's final tower has begun its skyward ascent, as has Lendlease's Melbourne Quarter Commercial and Residential precinct already. Melbourne Quarter's first stage is at construction and involves a new 12-storey home for consultancy firm Arup along with a skypark.

Transport & Design

Friday, December 15, 2017 - 11:00
Infrastructure Victoria unveiled a new round of research into its larger programme of work dealing with managing transport demand. The authority contracted Arup and KPMG to produce the Melbourne Activity Based Model (MABM) and while it is new, it is considered fit for purpose in the strategic context.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 12:00
Cbus Property's office development for Medibank at 720 Bourke Street in Docklands recently became the first Australian existing property to receive a WELL Certification, Gold Shell and Core rating. The WELL rating goes beyond sustainable building features with a greater focus on the health and well-being of a building's occupants.