Design by Bates Smart

Demo plan

Old and new designs

Sections

Ground floor

Stacker system

Renders

Aussie Steve's picture

This look ok to me, but I would be keen to know how the eastern wall will be treated and if there is a blank wall towards the old Shell House or windows of some sort.

3000's picture

Looks like there may be a blank wall next to shell house. The other side has me worried, no render of that side usually says "insert blank wall here"

theboynoodle's picture

I'm confused.

One side is right up against Shell House, so obviously it is blank and that must be OK, yes?

The other (long) side is depicted in the renders. The only thing missing from the renders is the 'back', but that has balconies on it so that can't be blank.

So there's one blank wall.. and that's the one that's right up against the neighbor.. so it wouldn't be anything else.

What am I missing?

3000's picture

My mistake. Your are correct, next to shell house has a blank wall.

Riddlz's picture

Original taller version

Riddlz's picture

3000's picture

I may catch some fire here (q man incoming) but I prefer the shorter version.

Mark Baljak's picture

I'd say the taller one looks more elegant. but hey...

Michael Berquez's picture

Regardless, it's still a really nice looking tower

Primal Beauty's picture

I think I prefer a shorter one in this location...it slots nicely between the two buildings without sticking out too much or not at all in this case...good decision!

Peter Maltezos's picture

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/tower-plan-for-melbournes-hotel-lindru...

Tower plan for Melbourne's Hotel Lindrum

SEPTEMBER 1 2016 - 7:11PM Aisha Dow

The heritage-listed luxury Hotel Lindrum on Flinders Street is about to get a new 100-metre tower.

Melbourne City Council is likely to sign off on the project next week, which would see the back 30 metres of the existing building demolished to make way for a modern addition.

Originally the owners of the hotel had asked to build a much larger skyscraper of 183 metres, but amended their application in April for the prime CBD site.

As well as 77 hotel rooms, the 30-storey redevelopment will include 62 residential apartments.

Council officers have recommended Melbourne councillors grant a permit for the project, finding the design would not detract from the neighbouring Shell House at 1 Spring Street, designed by prominent Australian architect Harry Seidler.

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Grampians's picture

bs
it was never going to "detract from Shell House" in fact potentially cover up it's butt ugly wall. In any case, what frickin business does the planning authority have in "protecting Shell House." To me this is fishy and I suspect political business arm was used to also protect the tall Collins St towers much vaunted views (ahem insider deals). I think that this is a warm up for Wynne to completely slash the incredible proposal for next door.

Yep....."detract from shell house"?????? How about considering that this would've helped cover up what many of us see as a blight on our skyline.

Bilby's picture

The planning authority will be concerned about the potential heritage significance of Seidler's most impressive 1980s Melbourne tower. On the other hand, t's a long bow to draw arguing that anyone would be concerned about protecting views in Melbourne - where is the evidence for this anywhere else in the city over the last 5 years?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/harry-seidlerdesigned-shell-ho...

Whoever said the Seidler tower was "impressive"?

Riddlz's picture

It certainly ranks among his worst tower designs and that's saying something considering that most of his high-rises are of low architectural value and quality.

True, he butchered Brisbane's skyline (fortunately Brisbane's skyline focus has shifted recently)...and Melbourne CBD's entire right hand corner is almost entirely ruined by this beast.

Dean's picture

You guys shouldn't be too hard on Shell House. I think its blank walls are both epic and intimate at the same time... :)

Melbourne_Fragments's picture

your'e being both sardonic and insulting but also correct Dean ;)

Dean's picture

He deserves it.

ive seen him contribute much more to this forum than you Dean, literally all you do here is shout at people and add no new observations. you are correct about Shell house being both epic yet intimate in it's choice or materials though

Dean's picture

Move on champ. I don't need to be lectured to by lightweights.

3000's picture

To be fair, you started this. Sure can dish it out....

lol it's an urbanism forum not an amateur boxing gym

Primal Beauty's picture

Few punches here and there makes it more exciting!
There is nothing better than a good bitch fight amongst presumably two guys!
Go girls!!!

Pages

Development & Planning

Monday, October 23, 2017 - 00:00
The tower dubbed 'Sol Invictus' may not have been conquered, but it is for sale. Long after the initial media blitz extolling the virtues of the tower, going hand in hand with an explanation of its name, the now approved 48 Moray Street has been handed to Colliers.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, October 9, 2017 - 12:00
Spring Street on Sunday unveiled its package of rental reforms that will see a variety of changes to the Residential Tenancies Act (1997). The state government has branded the reforms 'Rent Fair Victoria' and set up a website outlining the changes.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Friday, August 25, 2017 - 07:00
The former site of John Batman's home, Batman's Hill is entering the final stages of its redevelopment. Collins Square's final tower has begun its skyward ascent, as has Lendlease's Melbourne Quarter Commercial and Residential precinct already. Melbourne Quarter's first stage is at construction and involves a new 12-storey home for consultancy firm Arup along with a skypark.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 05:00
City of Melbourne intentions for a reimagined University Square are now available for viewing. The significant piece of public space at 190-192 Pelham Street is in line to receive a total makeover, bringing the green landscape into a 21st century.