Advertisement
37 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

CBD | Melbourne Grand | 556-558 Lonsdale Street | 58L | ~180m | Residential

Mark Baljak's picture

3000's picture

Is this a facade or an actual retention?

Bilby's picture

Well, it's definitely retentive.

Nicholas Harrison's picture

New crossover to Lonsdale Street for car parking? FAIL.

Melbourne_Fragments's picture

3000, the current building on site is a po-mo 1980's thing, it looks like there' doing a weird new faux-heritage podium

Melbourne_Fragments's picture

They really shouldn't be allowed to remove mature street trees for carpark entrances!!

Already has a website:

http://www.melbournegrand.com

Mark Baljak's picture

CoM advising it be rejected

SYmlb's picture

Any reason why it was rejected, Mark? It is kind of obvious but wanted to see what CoM wants changed, hopefully a whole new design because it looks like it belongs in 1980's Gold Coast.

3000's picture

It looks like a CE tower and abode had a really ugly child.

Ryan Seychell's picture

This one has gone to VCAT for failure to grant a permit

Qantas743's picture

This one should sail through.

Snippet from the AFR last week:

"Central Equity also noted it had acquired a major site on Lonsdale Street in CBD. 'It is hoped that the project will be released early in the coming year,' it said."

This one is going to VCAT for a decision.

Adrian's picture

CE actually proposed something over 200m I can live with and it gets rejected while all their mid rise rubbish gets instant approval even if it destroys heritage laneways (ie. Australis) ..

Typical ..f'n typical ..

Ryan Seychell's picture

Approved at 57 levels (Down from 69 levels)

Central Equity wins approval for another Lonsdale Street tower
Clay Lucas

Developer Central Equity has been granted approval for a 57-level residential tower near the corner of Lonsdale and King streets, despite opposition from residents in neighbouring apartments.

Central Equity took Planning Minister Richard Wynne to the state planning tribunal over the tower, after he failed to make a decision on the project.

The developer had originally proposed a 69-level tower, which Melbourne City Council had opposed. It was to have around 800 apartments.

But in a negotiated settlement with Mr Wynne and the planning department, Central Equity has been granted a permit for the 57-storey building.

The approved project will have 652 apartments, and will tower over other buildings in the block, many of which are low rise.

A group of residents who live in apartment buildings on King Street, Little Lonsdale Street and Manton Lane had written to Mr Wynne opposing Central Equity's plans.

"All our protests and written complaints have fallen on deaf ears," one of the opponents, Gagan​ Jain​, told Mr Wynne in a letter. "What's worse is that all the findings of Melbourne City Council have been ignored as well."

Mr Jain said that a 57-storey tower on the small site, which included 10 levels of car parking, would hurt its neighbours. "Hundreds of residents across multiple existing developments are going to be impacted and we would have expected the government to care for us and our living conditions," Mr Jain wrote.

Read More: http://www.theage.com.au/business/property/central-equity-wins-approval-...

SYmlb's picture

^ Sounds like there was no redesign just a height cut. Not that I expected much, but what difference would this make at 57 or 69 floors if the design is the same? Strange.

3000's picture

Read the article, they want to reduce the apartment yield and have better quality apartments there. Sometimes less is more.

Adrian's picture

In other words - Eddie K*ntner get's his way once again .. *sigh*

3000 - How does reducing the height of the building result in better quality of apartments ?

3000's picture

How does having it at the full height make it any more or less of a better outcome?
It's a CE tower so chances are it'll look pretty average at any height.
If you reduce the height and make the yield slightly lower (gasp!) to include better quality apartments then I call that a win for residents and for CBD living.
That is not to say I believe that less height is any indication of overall higher quality, but the taller investor boxes tend to produce just that, small apartments that aren't tailored for local needs.
COM also added their problems with the development.

SYmlb's picture

Adrian; I believe the tradeoff was a higher floor-to-ceiling ratio for better apartments, hence less floors. But still, if the design is not up to standard and various other issues the CoM addressed were ignored, why would reducing the height have any positive effect? That's what I find strange. Just force a total redesign.

Adrian's picture

If anything having higher floor-to-ceiling ratios would result in a taller tower. Instead CE have copped a double whammy cutting the number of floors and increasing the floor to ceiling height. Not that I have any sympathy for them whatsoever they've been getting away with murder for too long and I agree the developers should be forced to improve apartment standards.

CE just shouldn't be allowed to develop in the first place for all their crimes against this city - period.

3000's picture

"CE just shouldn't be allowed to develop in the first place for all their crimes against this city - period"

Here is something we can both agree on.

SYmlb's picture

Although I agree on better design standards and improved living standards for everyone, less apartments is not necessarily a good thing (hence why I am questioning why the reduction in height/floors.) Even if it is a CE design. We just need that balance of decent design and affordability, with CE and the like being the obvious offenders.

I guess the best way to put it is would you rather a 200m CE tower, or another sprawling outer suburb? Got to house all this population growth somewhere.

Ryan Seychell's picture

Bit of movement on this one, website has been updated: https://melbournegrand.com.au

3000's picture

What kind of bullshit render is that. Also this triggers me, looks like Vision

Qantas743's picture

If only other more elegant projects were as likely to get up as CE's garbage.

Pages

Development & Planning

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 12:00
The swirl of development activity in Footscray has found another gear as new projects are submitted for approval, or are on the verge of beginning construction. Two separate planning applications have been advertised by Maribyrnong City Council; their subsequent addition to the Urban Melbourne Project Database has seen the overall number of apartment developments within Footscray in development swell to 40.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:00
The marriage of old and new can be a difficult process, particularly when the existing structure has intrinsic heritage value. In previous times Fitzroy's 237 Napier Street served as the home of furniture manufacturer C.F. Rojo and Sons. Taking root during 1887, Christobel Rojo oversaw operations though over time the site would become home to furniture manufacturer Thonet.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Friday, August 25, 2017 - 07:00
The former site of John Batman's home, Batman's Hill is entering the final stages of its redevelopment. Collins Square's final tower has begun its skyward ascent, as has Lendlease's Melbourne Quarter Commercial and Residential precinct already. Melbourne Quarter's first stage is at construction and involves a new 12-storey home for consultancy firm Arup along with a skypark.

Transport & Design

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 12:00
When a site spans 19,280 square metres, it becomes a 'district'. That's the case according to the development team behind the Jam Factory's pending overhaul. Reporting on the project to date has focused on the close to 60,000 square metres of new commercial space that is earmarked for the site, but more importantly from a layperson's perspective is the extensive new public realm that is planned as part of the development.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 12:00
Cbus Property's office development for Medibank at 720 Bourke Street in Docklands recently became the first Australian existing property to receive a WELL Certification, Gold Shell and Core rating. The WELL rating goes beyond sustainable building features with a greater focus on the health and well-being of a building's occupants.