149 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

CBD | Phoenix Apartments | 82 Flinders Street | 88.5m | 28L | Residential

Ryan Seychell's picture

Ryan Seychell's picture

Ryan Seychell's picture

Peter Maltezos's picture

Looking forward to this blocking the hideous Adina building from view as you head into the city from the east. devil

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Ryan Seychell's picture

Peter Maltezos's picture

That's so insanely thin!

Now, can some developer purchase and demolish the Adina building next door please.

thecollectormm.com.au

Bronteboy's picture

Very eccentric - but I was pleased to drive past the other day and see Lou Richards's old pub and the press bar there remembered in the name. The Phoenix was a rite of passage for me.

onwards and upwards

johnproctor's picture

10 storeys to go still as well!

Not sure if anyone's pointed it out but the pin holes in the eastern wall are clearly the connection points for the 'snake' feature that will run up the entire facade.

Mark Baljak's picture

i suspect i'm one of the few that thinks this development is inappropriate, amongst other things the rear facing 11Ex is basically sheer concrete. having said that one apartment per floor is althgether cool

Michael Berquez's picture

I agree Mark....I like the tower renders, but I hate how this will be in the way of the Mercer building which I love.

Paul_D's picture

Also agree. It's going to require an extremely high and unique finish for me to justify ruining the stepped up look currently in place. I hope we're pleasantly surprised but not overly convinced at this point.

Ryan Seychell's picture

Couple of other renders for Phoenix:

Rohan Storey's picture

Wasn't a fan of this one, at least from the first design plans - it was straight up from the ground, no setbacks, interrupting the nice regular height streetsccape of Flinders Street, some old buildings, some podiums, a great edge to the city.

So, pleased to see now under construction that it has got a sort of podium, and a sort of setback at 5th floor level, exactly matching Adina oddly enough, rather than the Cricket Association building next door, which is more likely to last into the future (especially now it has an HO).

Searched and searched, but couldn't find any renders other than the side view perspective, and the front view that is the first post - so am still in the dark exactly how the sort of bay windows and balconies will look and whether on boundary line or not -though looks like they are - and now I see that is only a sort of podium, but sticking out over the building line, then there's a setback, then a set-in, and then forward to building line again ! Tell me if Im wrong.

Lookingupatbuildings

Mark Baljak's picture

other side, mediocre. fluro tube will add something at least

Paul_D's picture

Taken yesterday during the rain so not a great shot by any stretch of the imagination.
I'm struggling with this one at the moment but I'm wise enough to wait till the finished product.

MelbourneGuy's picture

Just another view of an interesting development.

Mark Baljak's picture

28 in the form

Ryan Seychell's picture

I think I like it?

Qantas743's picture

LOL! It's just a core!

MelbourneGuy's picture

This is looking suitably strange. I like it!

Michael Berquez's picture

Hmmmm, I'm not really sure what to think yet.....but it's certainly got me interested.

Peter Maltezos's picture

The blue fluoro tube decoration is going to make this building a little more than just interesting.

I'm quite certain that once completed, this building will be another asset to Melbourne's built environment. smiley

thecollectormm.com.au

Andrew Mck's picture

I agree 100%.
Plus the blue tubing will glow at night

Paul_D's picture

This could very well end up being one of our most interesting buildings when finished. The blue ribbon dramatically changes the look and feel to me

Mark Baljak's picture

Paul_D's picture

A couple from this morning

Pages

Development & Planning

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 00:00
Journal Student Living's move on 500 Swanston Street headlines a fresh drive of student accommodation projects looking to call Carlton home. The $60 build would be Journal's second Melbourne project after 18-32 Leicester Street which is in the hands of Icon Construction. Journal Student Living is backed by South African company Redefine Properties.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:00
The marriage of old and new can be a difficult process, particularly when the existing structure has intrinsic heritage value. In previous times Fitzroy's 237 Napier Street served as the home of furniture manufacturer C.F. Rojo and Sons. Taking root during 1887, Christobel Rojo oversaw operations though over time the site would become home to furniture manufacturer Thonet.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Friday, August 25, 2017 - 07:00
The former site of John Batman's home, Batman's Hill is entering the final stages of its redevelopment. Collins Square's final tower has begun its skyward ascent, as has Lendlease's Melbourne Quarter Commercial and Residential precinct already. Melbourne Quarter's first stage is at construction and involves a new 12-storey home for consultancy firm Arup along with a skypark.

Transport & Design

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 12:00
When a site spans 19,280 square metres, it becomes a 'district'. That's the case according to the development team behind the Jam Factory's pending overhaul. Reporting on the project to date has focused on the close to 60,000 square metres of new commercial space that is earmarked for the site, but more importantly from a layperson's perspective is the extensive new public realm that is planned as part of the development.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 12:00
Cbus Property's office development for Medibank at 720 Bourke Street in Docklands recently became the first Australian existing property to receive a WELL Certification, Gold Shell and Core rating. The WELL rating goes beyond sustainable building features with a greater focus on the health and well-being of a building's occupants.