Advertisement
102 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

CBD | Queens Place | 350 Queen Street | 79L | 246m | Mixed Use

Mark Baljak's picture

Kick starter

City apartment boom drives twin skyscrapers plan for Queen Street site

http://www.theage.com.au/business/city-apartment-boom-drives-twin-skyscr...

Melbourne's reputation as the skyscraper capital of Australia will be further boosted after a Chinese developer lodged plans to build a twin skyscraper complex on Queen and La Trobe Streets.

Just six months after buying the massive corner site for $135 million, a company called 3L Alliance has submitted plans for two soaring 79-level towers at 350 Queen that will stretch far higher than the nearby 55-level Melbourne Central building on Elizabeth Street.

The completed towers at 267.8 metres will be just 29 metres shorter than the city's current tallest building, the 92-level (297-metre) Eureka tower completed in 2006.

The city's latest high-rise proposal follows hard on the heels of a series of other super-tall structures in planning or under construction, fuelled by an offshore-driven apartment boom.

Another landmark tower in Southbank is set to rise 81 levels, or 259 metres, on the corner of City Road and Clarendon Street.

It will be taller than Southbank's newly-completed 72-level Prima Pearl building, but shorter than the country's tallest building, Australia 108, which is expected to rise 100 levels, or 319 metres, on the same side of the Yarra River.

The fresh proposal is likely to test newly-elected planning minister Richard Wynne who recently rejected another high-rise apartment planed by Grocon for 85 Spring Street.

3L Alliance's structure at 350 Queen will cost $750 million to build and will include a public plaza, a creche and nearly 2000 square metres of retail space.

The towers will stand behind KTS House, a 21-storey office that will remain on the site.

The structure will dwarf its immediate neighbour, the tiny Welsh Church building.

3L Alliance is controlled by Chinese nationals Baoyu Li and Lin Xiong.

The pair purchased the site, known as KTS House, in October last year from a private Malaysian investment group Kinetics ­Properties, a subsidiary of Sarawak-based lumber company KTS Holdings.

A supermarket on the corner of Queen and A'Beckett​, a two-storey car park facing A'Beckett​ Street and several single storey retail shops on La Trobe Street will be demolished to make way for the new tower complex if it gains planning approval.

KTS House has a chequered development history. It was constructed in a joint venture between local developer Warren Anderson and Japanese groups Shimizu​ Construction and Itochu​ in 1990 during a particularly speculative, over-supplied period in Australia's commercial property market.

The project became mired in an acrimonious dispute between the parties before the Japanese retreated, selling the project without completing key parts.

The towers will have about 1700 apartments with resident facilities that include four large swimming pools, saunas, spas and gyms, a home theatre, communal kitchens, karaoke rooms and a dedicated yoga studio.

The "sculpted" buildings have been designed by Cox Architecture and Fender Katsalidis​ Architects.

Peter Maltezos's picture

Pity they are keeping the existing hideous KTS House, hope they re-clad it at least.

I'm Interested in seeing more renderings of this Cox/Fender Katsalidis designed twin towers proposal.

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Nicholas Harrison's picture

350 Queen Street was a late 1980's development consisting of three hexagonal office towers, with the tallest tower being around 200m high. Construction of the first, smallest tower started in the late 1980's and was 90% finished by 1990 when the recession hit.

Construction was halted by the recession and the building sat uncompleted for years until it was cheaply finished off and occupied in 1995?

The rest of the site was left vacant until 2003 when the single storey shops and a two storey car park currently on the site were constructed.

Ryan Seychell's picture

To be known as Queens Place apparently:

Andrew's picture

Aurora's sisters.

Peter Maltezos's picture

Remind me of the early Prima designs, very nice.yes

Ugh! no How bad does KTS House look in the rendering above.

thecollectormm.com.au

Because of the the financial problems during construction the top of KTS was never properly completed, which is why you can still see all the roof top plant and equipment. They should at least do something to the top of the tower to screen all that.

Adrian's picture

I don't get the hate towards KTS house - there are *far* worse office building eyesores all over the CBD. It's been kept in good nic doesn't look it's age at all unlike many others.

I've stared at that tower from my balcony for 13 years and it's never offended me at all - didn't even realise the plant was meant to be covered up.

Anyway YES YES YES to those Twin Towers !!!! A perfect compliment to Aurora & EQ forming a 200m row of silver skyscrapers along LaTrobe St.

Not just Aurora's sisters - more like the love children of Aurora & Eureka :)

Peter Maltezos's picture

Rendering of the original Prima Tower design which I'm sure inspired the designs for the twin tower proposal above.

thecollectormm.com.au

Melbourne_Fragments's picture

so have developers just given up on decent names for developments? 'Collins House' 'St Collins Lane' 'Queen's Place' ... uuuuggggh

Ryan Seychell's picture

Two sets of plans have been submitted for this development, one set of plans comply with the OLS at 68L/206.9m and the other set goes up to the PANS-OPS height of 80L/246.2m. Richard Wynne will be asked to approve the PANS-OPS drawings upon approval from aviation authorities which has not yet been obtained.

Melbourne Muse's picture

Thanks Ryan. Are you sure that PANS-OPS is only 246m for this site? I realise it decreases the further north you head through the CBD, however I would have thought it would be more like 275m for this location - Aurora is approved at 271m.

Marvelous Mega-Melbourne

Ryan Seychell's picture

Seems to be, RL 268.83m to top of structure. Ground level is RL 21.6m

Riddlz's picture

No way the PAN-OPS for this site is only 268.83m AHD. The PAN-OPS for 8 Bouverie Street is 278m AHD and that's like 300m further north from this site. Makes no sense, they probably just haven't used the full PAN-OPS height envelope.

Do you have any elevations?

Qantas743's picture

How does 80 levels even equate to 246m anyway?

Ryan Seychell's picture

Sorry my mistake, height is above OLS height but below the PANS-OPS height.

Floor to ceiling heights are 2.9m - 80 x 2.9 = 232m

Mark Baljak's picture

All images © Cox/Fender Katsalidis

Garmatt's picture

Fantastic.

Aussie Steve's picture

Now THAT is WOW. The way the ground level is treated is excellent.

3000's picture

Smashed it out of the park here. They managed to keep the office building and create a fantastic ground level. This is the kind of development we need.

Michael Berquez's picture

Great podium...beautiful sleek towers and no concrete walls. WIN!

Rohan Storey's picture

Yeah not bad, nice ground level look and activation. Though with EQ in there as well (not shown) going to be a pretty crowded airspace.

And the one place where there should be a generous tower setback is next to the church, but the tower seems to be set right above the podium - but at least there is one, unlike the other side.

And those one beds on south side facing the existing office tower have tiny lounge spaces, barely room for the furniture, only diagonal views, no balconies, probably little natural light - but Im sure there are worse around !.

Lookingupatbuildings

This one has been recommended for approval by the planners at the City of Melbourne.

The La Trobe Street tower is 249m high as the entrance to the tower is 3m lower than the Queen Street tower entrance.

db2's picture

This is a very significant project in terms of size and scope at $750million and 200,000sqm of floor space.

249m and 246m height is contingent on Essendon Airport/CASA approval AND Minister of Planning approval (using the old planning rules, not the new ones). Aurora & West Side Place T1 both are max-height Pan-Ops. If they CASA approval, I can't see why Queens Place won't either.

If the developer has the patience, they should be able to get approval for the taller scheme.

Qantas743's picture

Good news but we're not there yet.

The planning process is like a game with the final level consisting a battle with Dicky who stands in front of the door to victory!

Having said that I am not surprised as I was told a few months ago that council liked the scheme. They initially wanted to do 3 towers but were told not to push their luck.

If this and 640 Bourke get approved, combined with everything else approved/under construction, that would satisfy me for a year or two.

db2's picture

Council support is very significant. I can not see Dicky refusing this one, the developer has appeared to bend over backwards for the council.

Hopefully the developer is chasing CASA now for approval for 79 levels, not 69 levels.

This one seems very likely to be accepted. I think we can be quietly confident about this one going through.

Pages

Development & Planning

Friday, July 21, 2017 - 00:00
Last week's joint announcement by Planning Minister Richard Wynne, Premier Daniel Andrews and Lord Mayor Robert Doyle that the Amendment C245 planning controls have been adopted, paves the way for work to commence on the $250 million dollar redevelopment of the Queen Victoria Market. Concept for Munro site (subject to change).

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Friday, July 14, 2017 - 00:00
It is so much easier to knock a building down than it is to build one. Building is a long and involved process of dreaming, planning, scheming, and the wonderfully gritty bit that is actually constructing a physical manifestation of these things, while getting rid of a building sometimes takes no more than a bit of paperwork, some heavy machinery, and the stroke of a pen.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 07:00
Once again Melbourne has turned it on for the spectacular cultural juggernaut that is White Night. A crowd of around 600,000 took part in the all night festival of projections, performances, artworks and installations. Stealing the show again this year was the extraordinary projections upon the Royal Exhibition Building.

Transport & Design

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 13:00
Little by little we're getting closer to the money and shovels-in-the-ground end of the Melbourne Metro Tunnel project with the announcement that the Cross Yarra Partnership is the successful bidder for the Tunnel & Stations availability-based private-public partnership (PPP) contract.

Sustainability & Environment

Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 12:00
The greening of Southbank is a step closer to reality following the endorsement of the draft concept plan for Southbank Boulevard and Dodds Street by the Future Melbourne Committee on Tuesday, 18 July, 2017.