Last post

DOCKLANDS | 13-33 Hartley Street | 37 & 40L | 122m & 131m | Residential

Mark Baljak's picture

Design basis

Typical west tower

Qantas743's picture

Interesting, different. I like it!

pdoff's picture

It's a chunky looking beast... surprised it only has 600 apartments.

It's not particularly attractive.. but then it's forgiven because it's next to the freeway.

theboynoodle's picture

By all means, glue some coloured panels to it, but I see nothing of substance that distinguishes this, architecturally speaking, from the CE standard-form buildings that are so reviled around these parts.

The only thing making it all look better than the Southbank-style average is the open space, which is absolutely a good thing. But those apartment layouts make it look very much like it's a low-end development to be pitched at the investment and overseas markets.

3000's picture

The podium is all I like tbh. But the main road gets a service grille which is not ideal.

Michael Berquez's picture

Melburn21's picture

The top and podium look fantastic. Love the reference to shipping containers. The tower proper is bog standard cheap design.

Nicholas Harrison's picture

Blank walls on the boundaries of such a large site? Try again son...

Mark Baljak's picture

The sort of project that gets picked up by a developer and promptly redesigned.

Two towers back to one

Laurence Dragomir's picture

The thread title should probably change from Docklands to Lorimer as it's part of the Fishermans Bend Urban Renewal Area.

Andrew Mck's picture

if I was a resident in Yarra Edge id be pissed.
Such a bog standard block of flats that could be mistaken as a tarted up commish tower block like this undermines any positive attempts Mirvac has put into the area with their far superior designed buildings
A load of crap , its only positive being a sound barrier from the freeway

3000's picture

Not a fan at all.

gs.rusty's picture

Overall I'm not a fan of this. I can't think of any reasons why there shouldn't be towers here (but I do feel for the poor future occupants who will have no relief from the noise of the highway, even with the winter gardens), and I don't hate the colour palette of the shipping container sections of the buildings, and New Street looks like it has potential to be nice (ish).

But the whole shipping container concept - there is nothing new or fresh there. Did we not pass peak shipping container years ago? And even if you accept shipping containers as your design inspiration, isn't the final design just a little too literal. Fine, reference the port character of the area, but this interpretation seems a bit lazy and unimaginative. The rest of the towers are just stock design.

zenith's picture

Pics don't load.

Development & Planning

Friday, March 16, 2018 - 00:00
As reported in The Age late last month speculation is growing that developer Cbus Property is leading the charge to acquire a combined development site at 140-150 Queen Street and 27 McKillop Street. This would follow what would appear to be a pre-emptive purchase of a neighbouring site at 423 Bourke Street, which an 11-storey office block currently occupies.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Sunday, March 11, 2018 - 13:00
The Victorian Government has announced it will ban the use of aluminium cladding panels that have a polyethylene core of more than 30% and expanded polystyrene will also be banned on buildings with 3 or more levels. The changes were announced by the Planning Minister, Richard Wynne, on Saturday morning along with new guidelines for building surveyors.

Visual Melbourne

Monday, February 5, 2018 - 12:00
The various spaces and elements which combine to form RMIT's New Academic Street (NAS) have progressively begun to open to students and visitors alike. I was recently fortunate enough to be part of an informal group tour through the completed spaces within NAS, led by Harrison and White which had a hand in the project.

Transport & Design

Friday, March 16, 2018 - 17:00
Comment There's much to admire about Rodney Maddock's advocacy piece in The Conversation - ' Our growing big cities need new centres of employment - here's Melbourne's chance ' - the three projects he advocates for have been in the public domain for quite a while now.

Sustainability & Environment