Advertisement
364 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

DOCKLANDS | 3008 | General News and Discussion

Ryan Seychell's picture

Decided i'd create a thread just for general discussion about Melbourne Docklands...the postives/the negatives/what its missing etc. as well as discussion about some of the smaller projects that are going on at the moment:  

​Docklands Library currently under construction:

Collins Street Extension:

Lifestyle on Collins nearing completion:

Exo also nearing completion

Docklands is a budget winner 28 May 2013 By Bethany Williams

Docklands has received its best council budget result ever, with the City of Melbourne set to invest in a range of projects.

Docklands will receive an $11.1 million infrastructure investment, according to last month’s council draft 2013-14 budget.

The first budget of the council’s four-year term allows $6.5 million for the completion of the Docklands Library and Community Centre, $3.6 million for the Docklands Boating and Family Services Hub and a further $1 million to continue implementing projects from the Dockland Community and Place Plan (DCPP).

According to City of Melbourne director of city design Rob Adams, the majority of the DCPP funding will be spent on the Queens Lawn project at the Fox Classic Car Museum.

Mr Adams said City of Melbourne was finalising a long-term lease for the space with Lindsay Fox.

Read more: http://www.docklandsnews.com.au/editions/article/docklands-is-a-budget-winner_8721/

Tasty offering for abandoned space 27 May 2012 A creative collective is set to transform the abandoned Waterfront City food court into a unique art space.

The group has been offered the space as part of Renew Australia’s Docklands Spaces project.

Docklands Spaces allows creative projects access to unleased spaces rent-free.

Properties are made available on a month-to-month basis, allowing landlords to reclaim their property quickly, should they get a commercial offer.

Landlords bear no cost, with insurance and overheads covered by not-for-profit Renew Australia, which is funded by City of Melbourne, Places Victoria and MAB Corporation.

So far Docklands Spaces has focused on Waterfront City premises but Places Victoria general manager Simon Wilson said plans were underway to expand into Harbour Town.

Read More: http://www.docklandsnews.com.au/editions/article/tasty-offering-for-abandoned-space_8712/

Docklands Community and Place Plan http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/AboutMelbourne/PrecinctsandSuburbs/Docklands/Documents/Docklands_Community_Place_Plan_Folding_Map.pdf

Ryan Seychell's picture

Wharves ready to be demolished soon:

Lots of people around yesterday:

Laurence Dragomir's picture

New $2M art installation by Callum Morton to transform Conder Plaza into Monument Park:

http://www.docklandsnews.com.au/editions/article/new-art-project-for-new...

Peter Maltezos's picture

http://www.docklandsnews.com.au/editions/article/new-art-project-for-new...

This looks great! yes smiley

An underutilised public space at NewQuay will be transformed by the largest art collaboration ever seen in Docklands.

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Melbman's picture

Has anyone seen renders of the CoM approved towers at 28-38 Pearl River Road, Docklands and 3-43 Waterfront Way, Docklands, which are part of the Harbourtown site?

I knew there were plans at one stage to build apartments there, with social housing discussed at one point, but hadn't heard since until reading the blog on here today.

Mark Baljak's picture

i'll chase them up soon enough

Melbman's picture

^^ Thanks man. Would be good.

Interested to see what they come up with as that area needs new life. It will leave 1 more of those cut out parts in the HT site to be developed, along with potentially the front and above the carpark just across the road, which also had plans to be developed for residential.

Lopan's picture

I thought it was this:

http://urbanmelbourne.info/projects/docklands/6-22-pearl-river-road-dock...

The carpark on the right is going to build the NewQuay Promenade development with the big park to be on the site of the current waterfront city public space and the other carpark space on the left to be the tall towers (see above)

Correct me if I am wrong anybody?

Melbman's picture

^^ Its a different development. These towers will be north of Docklands drive.

Lopan's picture

^^ Thanks.

I just googled those locations and you are right there is definitely something going on there but I cant remember what.

Mark Baljak's picture

haha

Docklands airport plan slammed as 'crazy'

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/docklands-airport-plan-slammed...

AN airport for Melbourne's Docklands precinct has been proposed by a parliamentary committee after a taxpayer-funded overseas summer jaunt.

The outer suburban/interface services and development committee, made up of three Liberal and two Labor MPs, says the Victorian Government should consider a "city airport" to better service low-cost segments of the aviation market.

"The committee believes that a Melbourne City Airport could be a useful ... particularly for commuter-type domestic flights and short-haul international flights such as to New Zealand," the report said.

Committee chair Jan Kronberg and her Liberal colleague Cindy McLeish travelled with Labor MPs Natalie Hutchins and Judith Graley to Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto last year.

Ms Kronberg and Ms McLeish then continued on to Zurich and London.

The pair visited the London City Airport, 11km east of the city centre, and recommended Melbourne consider a similar development.

"Such an airport could be a useful addition as part of a comprehensive brownfield redevelopment area near the centre of Melbourne, such as Docklands," said the report, which was tabled in Parliament in June.

Docklands Community Association President Roger Gardner said it was a "crazy idea".

Lopan's picture

^^ How illogical is this idea?

Crazy summed it up well by Roger Gardner.

Definitely wont happen!

Chris Peska's picture

^^ agreed, silly idea. Makes no sense whatsoever. Maybe invest in an airport rail link to southern cross instead, it would be the same as having an airport in the CBD i would think??

Observe. Design. Build. Live.

Alastair Taylor's picture

"high-rise" the scapegoat for Docklands once again.

http://theage.com.au/domain/design-and-living/building-pride-in-our-city...

No mention of the touchy-feeliness of today's HR which has probably had more weight on companies wishing to have much larger floorplates manifesting itself in the enormous campsus that NAB and ANZ have built which are pretty much inactive outside of 9-5.

But no, High-rise is a much easier scapegoat.

Martin Mankowski's picture

Agreed, ridiculous idea. It would put a huge amount of both inner and outer suburb residents in the flight path, with all the associated noise issues that go with it.

This is why Tullamarine was chosen - because it was away from any significant residential development, for both the existing and future runways.

Also London works because it is a relatively small city skyscraper wise. If Australia 108 couldn't get up because of Essendon airport, imagine the problems for future development if Docklands Airport was built!

Where would it go anyway? I assume when they say Docklands they actually mean Fishermens Bend? There used to be an airfield there up until the 60s I think. I'm sure UM's 'Collector' has some photos somewhere!

Lopan's picture

Docklands to show off its Tan

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/docklands-to-show-off-its-tan-...

A TAN-style running track will be built in Docklands as part of a multi-million-dollar development to improve the urban community.

Premier Denis Napthine and Planning Minister Matthew Guy will today announce construction of the first stage of Western Park would begin within nine months.

"It will bring alive the western end of the Docklands precinct and turn unused, windswept space in to a fantastic new sporting and community hub," Mr Guy said.

"Western Park will feature a football oval overlaid with two soccer pitches, a community pavilion for spectators, children's playground and new exercise circuit. It will be the first of its kind in Docklands."

Details and images of the park have been released to the Herald Sun exclusively.

Mr Guy said the first stage, worth $18 million, had been planned and paid for already. Located close to the Bolte Bridge, the four-part development would include a barbecue and seating area, three multi-purpose courts and a cycling and pedestrian bridge across Victoria Harbour.

"The ultimate connection across Victoria Harbour in stage four of the plan would be a major attraction for Docklands and would create a 3.7km running and walking track, comparable to the well-established Royal Botanic Gardens 'Tan', which is 3.87km," Mr Guy said.

The redevelopment would be finished within about six years, he said.

Fedsquared's picture

The 'My Docklands' Plan

http://www.docklands.com/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=applica...\707\PlacesVictoriaMyDocklands.pdf

Lopan's picture

^^Docklands is really going to be a fantastic place to live and or visit.

So much to be developed over the next 10 years,exciting times!

Alastair Taylor's picture

Seeing so many bridge proposals all marked as "future" - I just wish either level of government would bite the bullet and put a proper proposal out there so the initial screams of pain from boat owners can be over and done with and we can then actually -get- a bridge at the Bolte End of Docklands.

Peter Maltezos's picture

If Australia 108 couldn't get up because of Essendon airport, imagine the problems for future development if Docklands Airport was built!

Where would it go anyway? I assume when they say Docklands they actually mean Fishermens Bend? There used to be an airfield there up until the 60s I think. I'm sure UM's 'Collector' has some photos somewhere!

You can see AERODROME marked next to Fishermen's Bend in the 1956 Olympics guide below.

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Martin Mankowski's picture

Yeah I thought the original bridge proposal was not just from New Quay to North Wharf but all the way to South Wharf/Yarra's Edge, thus linking up all 3 precincts. Agreed, the lack of commitment is worrying; at this rate it will take so long the wheel will be open before the bridge (surely not...)!!!

Lopan's picture

^^ I thought they were linking them all up by using Webb bridge,the Jim Stynes bridge and this newly announced bridge?

Melbman's picture

^^ There's also been bridges in various schemes proposed for the Yarra. These include possible Tram or pedestrian bridges.

Hard to see what they will do.

Lopan's picture

The Vic Government is strongly committed to the 20 minute city concept and want's more walking and cycling around town and less and less car's.

I am looking forward to the Digital Harbour being developed more and then down the track the E Gate precinct. I wonder how many years down the track E Gate is considering they still have another 10-15 years to complete the Docklands?

Chris Peska's picture

The 20 minute city is great in theory but difficult to implement particularly with a city as spread out as Melbourne.

E gate is still a while off but development doesn't necessarily have to wait until docklands is completed. Docklands is around 50% complete now and at a guess I think it will take approximately 10 years to develop the remaining sites. The key to successfully completing the whole area will hinge on connectivity between all the different areas including E gate.

Did someone say monorail? <= jokes :-)

Observe. Design. Build. Live.

Lopan's picture

Pages

Development & Planning

Friday, December 9, 2016 - 08:00
Ballarat's station precinct is set to be transformed, following last week's announcement that the Pellicano Group has been awarded the rights to develop a new conference centre and hotel facility.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:00
The New Urban Agenda was officially adopted in Quito, Ecuador in the last plenary of the Habitat III conference. The agenda provides a 20-year “roadmap” to guide sustainable urban development globally. The text of the New Urban Agenda itself was agreed well before Habitat III at the UN General Assembly in September, during an extraordinary informal negotiation session that lasted for more than 30 hours.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 17:00
Melbourne’s architectural landscape is a wonderful juxtaposition of modern and Victorian architecture. Although the CBD has been peppered with many skyscrapers, its historical structures have won Melbourne the title of “Australia’s most European city”.

Transport & Design

Thursday, December 8, 2016 - 12:00
Melbourne’s tram network may hold the key to providing the dense network of high frequency rapid transport that would provide world class connectivity in the inner-city and CBD. Melbourne and New York are very different cities. Drawing too close a parallel between any two cities can be a folly; however New York and Melbourne share some near similarities where it counts.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 12:00
Timber mid-rise buildings are becoming the preferred choice for many stakeholders in Melbourne, due to a combination of factors, including cost-effectiveness, liveability, ease and efficiency of construction. Within the recent National Construction Code change, Deemed-To-Satisfy provisions allow mid-rise timber construction for buildings up to 25 metres “effective height” (typically, eight storeys).