104 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

DOCKLANDS | 888 Collins Street | ~130m | 40L | Residential

Mark Baljak's picture

AFR
Grand design for Collins Street
NICK LENAGHAN

It is an unforgettable piece of real estate. At the historic meeting point of Collins and Bourke streets, Lend Lease is developing its most ambitious residential tower yet in Melbourne’s ­Docklands.

The $350 million project proposed has an auspicious street address: 888 Collins Street. Memorable in anyone’s language, it is especially lucky in ­Chinese culture.

Almost 180 years after Bourke and Collins streets were first laid parallel on the Hoddle Grid, the two major thoroughfares traversing Melbourne’s CBD finally intersect in Victoria Harbour, Lend Lease’s patch of Dockland.

Market appetite for inner city apartments has prompted Lend Lease to expedite plans for the new corner site. A 40-storey building is proposed, with views over Victoria Harbour on one flank and the Yarra River on the other.

PRECINCT’S TALLEST TOWER
As the tallest tower in the Victoria Harbour precinct, it is hoped 888 Collins Street will become a Docklands landmark and a substantial “book end” for Bourke and Collins streets.

“The design of the building has really taken into account the significance of the location and makes the most of the prominent corner site,” state manager of apartments for Victoria, Ben Coughlan, said.

The project comprises a 15-storey triangular building, holding the corner in front of the taller 40-storey tower. There is nearly 36,000 square metres of residential space, with 587 one, two and three bedroom apartments, along with a small component of ground-level retail. Prices will range from $398,000 through to $1.2 million.

If the project is approved, Lend Lease hopes to begin construction in November this year, with completion in February 2017.

Replica of 35 Spring Street by the looks of it

other site designs

Rothe Lowman

Bureau UA

Melbman's picture

So they went with the one that looks most like a box.. Interesting :)

I really liked the Rothe Lowman design.

Ryan Seychell's picture

Hopefully the full building is a bit more interesting, looks exactly the same as 35 Spring from that view..

Andrew's picture

I was hoping that Roth Lowman design was going to be the one we get, fantastic podium on that proposal.

Ryan Seychell's picture

Website up and running: http://www.888collins.com.au/

Mark Baljak's picture

About to get a buddy by the look of it

06/05/2014
847-869 Bourke Street Docklands
Development of Victoria Harbour Site C5 for a mixed use development including dwellings and retail premises, associated parking and public realm works

Melbman's picture

^^ Lend Lease are certainly increasing the pace in VH.

With the Batman's Hill project also on the horizon for them, they will be busy.

Still no podium renders though for 888 Collins, which is a pity.

Mark Baljak's picture

^^ 888 collins and C5 are the same, my bad

Ryan Seychell's picture

Model of the building:

Not bad by any means, but a bit unimaginative i think..

Ryan Seychell's picture

MelbourneGuy's picture

They might advertise a 'landmark' but it doesn't look like one.

Laurence Dragomir's picture

125m for the 40-storey tower + 52.6m for the 15-storey tower. Database listing updated.

View from corner of Bourke & Collins St:

Peter Maltezos's picture

Interesting that the treatment of the facade of the taller building optically shrinks its height and vice-versa, the treatment of the shorter building makes it look taller than it is.

I'm not a fan of this proposal.

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Melbman's picture

^^ Fully agree.

Just seems like a wasted opportunity, especially on the corner. A bit lazy and a missed chance at really making a statement on that prime spot.

Ryan Seychell's picture

Interesting (from AFR):

Lend Lease rethinks 888 Collins Street apartment proposal
Lend Lease has overhauled plans for its $350 million apartment project in Docklands after receiving a scathing judgement from the City of Melbourne’s lord mayor.

MelbourneGuy's picture

I'm glad they took notice of what the Lord Mayor said. I also felt that their original proposal was mundane to say the least!

Fedsquared's picture

I'd imagine it will just be a change to floor plans as the MCC are particularly upset about the 'flexi' rooms that have no natural light.

Mark Baljak's picture

the artcile in part

Lend Lease rethinks 888 Collins Street apartment proposal

>> Lend Lease has overhauled plans for its $350 million apartment project in Docklands after receiving a scathing judgement from the City of Melbourne’s lord mayor.

The original proposal included small rooms – identified as “flexi rooms” as they were designed for multiple uses – which drew lord mayor Robert Doyle’s attention for not having windows.

Cr Doyle told the council’s Future Melbourne meeting in July that as some rooms did not have direct access to ventilation or natural light, they were not rooms, they were cupboards.

>> If approved, Lend Lease hopes to begin construction before the end of this year. The project will meet at the end of two of the CBD’s most prominent streets: Bourke and Collins.

The number eight is considered lucky in Chinese culture and the project’s 888 Collins Street address stands out in a market awash with new inner-city apartment projects.

Ryan Seychell's picture

Walked past last night, piling has begun already.

Peter Maltezos's picture

Corner of Collins and Bourke Streets, if any address is crying out for an iconic building, this is it!

The MCC or State Government should have taken control of this site, held an architectural competition for a mixed use building, built it and then sold it on.

...But no, we let stupid political ideology get in the way and we are left with a private developer who at the end of the day has to turn a profit and lets this be the only driving force for this development it seems. no

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Qantas743's picture

Who remembers the Times Square concept proposed for this intersection in the early stages of Docklands?

Mark Baljak's picture

Vic Harbour is bereft of quality design, why start now

Mark Baljak's picture

Ryan Seychell's picture

Ryan Seychell's picture

Ryan Seychell's picture

Pages

Development & Planning

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 12:00
The swirl of development activity in Footscray has found another gear as new projects are submitted for approval, or are on the verge of beginning construction. Two separate planning applications have been advertised by Maribyrnong City Council; their subsequent addition to the Urban Melbourne Project Database has seen the overall number of apartment developments within Footscray in development swell to 40.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:00
The marriage of old and new can be a difficult process, particularly when the existing structure has intrinsic heritage value. In previous times Fitzroy's 237 Napier Street served as the home of furniture manufacturer C.F. Rojo and Sons. Taking root during 1887, Christobel Rojo oversaw operations though over time the site would become home to furniture manufacturer Thonet.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Friday, August 25, 2017 - 07:00
The former site of John Batman's home, Batman's Hill is entering the final stages of its redevelopment. Collins Square's final tower has begun its skyward ascent, as has Lendlease's Melbourne Quarter Commercial and Residential precinct already. Melbourne Quarter's first stage is at construction and involves a new 12-storey home for consultancy firm Arup along with a skypark.

Transport & Design

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 12:00
When a site spans 19,280 square metres, it becomes a 'district'. That's the case according to the development team behind the Jam Factory's pending overhaul. Reporting on the project to date has focused on the close to 60,000 square metres of new commercial space that is earmarked for the site, but more importantly from a layperson's perspective is the extensive new public realm that is planned as part of the development.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 12:00
Cbus Property's office development for Medibank at 720 Bourke Street in Docklands recently became the first Australian existing property to receive a WELL Certification, Gold Shell and Core rating. The WELL rating goes beyond sustainable building features with a greater focus on the health and well-being of a building's occupants.