Advertisement
28 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

DOCKLANDS | Digital Harbour | 1000 La Trobe Street | 21L | Office

Ryan Seychell's picture

From the Digital Harbour Website:
This proposed 21 level building directly opposite Etihad Stadium on an ‘in-fill’ site between 1010 La Trobe Street and the new Melbourne Water headquarters at 990 La Trobe Street has a current planning permit for an office building with a NLA of approximately 33,000m².

Mark Baljak's picture

that is the shit...impressive design.

Peter Maltezos's picture

Sublime! cool

In my opinion, one of the best designs so far in all of the Docklands. yes 

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Melbman's picture

Love that proposal but its a pity its taken so long to actually get anyone to sign up to it for it to be built.

In the meantime, it will probably be watered down to a smaller building that is as plain as many others around. That seems the normal cycle.

Chris Peska's picture

Welcome Melbman! :) It is a very nice proposal and looks similar to the new NAB office that has just been completed on southeast corner of the stadium precinct. I have a feeling that this won't be watered down purely based on the fact that it is located in Digital Harbour and the overall masterplan for the remainder of the site will demand a high standard to fit in with what is to come. also, a little off topic, but i think that customs house on 1010 La Trobe was a missed opportunity.

Observe. Design. Build. Live.

Melbman's picture

Thanks Chris.

I hope it is built as in this render. Would be a great outcome.

I agree about Customs House but must have appeared to be a good idea at the time :)

Chris Peska's picture

Also, I forgot to point out that with all the really good office developments being proposed, the developer must produce something a cut-above the rest to attract the tenants :) I dont mind the optical illusion design of Customs House, just think it is a bit "blah" if you know what i mean...

Observe. Design. Build. Live.

Melbman's picture

^^ Yeah can understand.

Let's hope someone signs up to it soon. Bring it on!

Fedsquared's picture

DH Central Offices

project type: Offices
​area: 11,000 sqm.
​client: Digital Harbour Holdings

Fedsquared's picture

Planning application in for 38 Harbour Esplanade Docklands.
Multi-storey residential development with associated ground floor amenities and multilevel car parking
Architects: Moull Murray Architects (responsible for lifelab-not expecting anything too fancy...)

Mark Baljak's picture

AFR last year said that one above was supposed to go u/c

seems this one may have replaced it?

25 digital drive

nothing wrong with replicating a little bit of chicago, including their skyline reflection hahaha

Fedsquared's picture

Hope it's your render that's going ahead Mark.

Laurence Dragomir's picture

That Moull Murray Architects design for DH Central doesn't appear anywhere on the Digital Harbour website so I think it's safe to assume 25 Digital Drive supersedes it.

Matt Guy has approved this according to today's HUN.

Michael Berquez's picture

Yes I saw that too, but the HUN said 26 levels....

Andrew Mck's picture

I love the silver bean sculpture on the corner, love the render of the building too..

Eng Put's picture

I love the design, from my heart!

Mark Baljak's picture

I think they can remove the Digital Harbour premise now, just another resi precinct

Digital Harbour has approval for a 21-level building directly on the infill site between 1010 La Trobe Street and the new Melbourne Water headquarters at 990 La Trobe Street.

An office tower permit is in place for the property, known as The Millennium Site at 1000 La Trobe Street. But planning authority Places Victoria will allow units and a scheme by architects Woods Bagot shows it could accommodate more than 600 apartments.

With the capacity to develop about $400m worth of apartments the site could change hands for more than $35m.

Digital Harbour which counts the wealthy Liberman family and private equity real estate group Qualitas as backers, alongside key executives, has developed other properties in the area but the size of the site is tipped to attract both local and offshore developers.

Colliers International’s Trent Hobart and Bryson Cameron have been appointed to sell the 6007 sq m freehold property. The Millennium Site would be a key element within a highly connected precinct linking the Melbourne CBD to the Docklands waterfront, they said.

“There has been a distinct lack of prime residential development sites offered to the market in Melbourne recently. Consequently demand has increased for sites with de-risked planning frameworks,” Mr Hobart said.

He said the Millennium Site was a freehold offering, that was extremely rare in the Docklands precinct. Furthermore, it benefits from an allowable 47,940 sq m of residential gross floor area.

The last five major development site sales in Docklands have been sold on land value rates of more than $7000 per sq m.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/property/etihad-site-may-see-60...

Ryan Seychell's picture

This precinct has been ridiculously slow in terms of progress compared to the rest of Docklands. Here's the new scheme by Woods Bagot:

4 buildings in 15 years...

Nicholas Harrison's picture

That precinct was supposed to be a technology park based around a Melbourne University Centre for Innovation in Learning. When Melbourne University pulled out the precinct lost it's focus and has struggled ever since.

Melbman's picture

What was the reason that Melbourne University pulled out? It seemed like a solid concept.

At the end of the day, developers are having a far harder time getting tenants for commercial buildings. They can sit there and work hard to try and get tenants as they look on and see residential buildings go up around the city, or they can take action now to join that rush.

Even Lend Lease have struggled to get a couple of commercial buildings up in Victoria Harbour, just as the site across the road (next to Etihad Stadium) has been suffering from similar challenges.

Mark Baljak's picture

fairly sweet new design

Nicholas Harrison's picture

Is it called the millennium site because it has been empty sine the turn of the millennium?

Mark Baljak's picture

Chinese development giant China Poly Group will aim to build an apartment tower with 600 units after swooping on a site in Melbourne’s Docklands being sold by a company backed by the wealthy Liberman family.

The $75 billion Poly is believed to have agreed to pay $32 million for the Millennium Site opposite Etihad Stadium being sold by Digital Harbour (Holdings)

The property that Poly has secured, at 1000 La Trobe Street, has a permit in place for a 21-level office building next to the new Melbourne Water headquarters.

But planning authority Places Victoria may allow units and a scheme by architects Woods Bagot shows it could accommodate more than 600 apartments.

This could make it a $400m project although it will need to be passed by Victoria’s Planning Minister Richard Wynne.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/property/chinese-developers-buy...

Melbman's picture

^^ Its funny how far removed Digital Harbour is from its original intention.

A hub of innovation and learning has been replaced by commercial and residential developments that struggle to get off the ground. Strange to see the struggles they are having getting anything built given its location to the CBD. It should be a more attractive proposition than some other Docklands locations..

Pages

Development & Planning

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 12:00
The swirl of development activity in Footscray has found another gear as new projects are submitted for approval, or are on the verge of beginning construction. Two separate planning applications have been advertised by Maribyrnong City Council; their subsequent addition to the Urban Melbourne Project Database has seen the overall number of apartment developments within Footscray in development swell to 40.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:00
The marriage of old and new can be a difficult process, particularly when the existing structure has intrinsic heritage value. In previous times Fitzroy's 237 Napier Street served as the home of furniture manufacturer C.F. Rojo and Sons. Taking root during 1887, Christobel Rojo oversaw operations though over time the site would become home to furniture manufacturer Thonet.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Friday, August 25, 2017 - 07:00
The former site of John Batman's home, Batman's Hill is entering the final stages of its redevelopment. Collins Square's final tower has begun its skyward ascent, as has Lendlease's Melbourne Quarter Commercial and Residential precinct already. Melbourne Quarter's first stage is at construction and involves a new 12-storey home for consultancy firm Arup along with a skypark.

Transport & Design

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 12:00
When a site spans 19,280 square metres, it becomes a 'district'. That's the case according to the development team behind the Jam Factory's pending overhaul. Reporting on the project to date has focused on the close to 60,000 square metres of new commercial space that is earmarked for the site, but more importantly from a layperson's perspective is the extensive new public realm that is planned as part of the development.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 12:00
Cbus Property's office development for Medibank at 720 Bourke Street in Docklands recently became the first Australian existing property to receive a WELL Certification, Gold Shell and Core rating. The WELL rating goes beyond sustainable building features with a greater focus on the health and well-being of a building's occupants.