Advertisement
134 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

DOCKLANDS | Melbourne Quarter | Batman's Hill | 681-701 Collins Street | >160m | Multi Tower | Mixed Use

Mark Baljak's picture

More information available

http://www.batmanshillcollinsstreet.com.au/

more to come

Laurence Dragomir's picture

Short of increasing the size of the main square I think access between the 'two halves' either side of Wurundjeri Way could be improved particularly along the southern edge at the intersection with Flinders Street but also from the Wurundjeri Steps(5) to C4, which I think could be achieved with a pedestrian/cycling bridge to create a 'loop'. It would also allow visitors to get much closer to 'Bunjil' and have some level of interaction with it. See crude photoshop job below:

Nicholas Harrison's picture

This site was so close to getting Australia's tallest building in 1998 and 2008. End result will most likely be a 120m office tower in 2018 :-(

Melbman's picture

Actually quite impressed with this concept.

The 2 civic squares will be good additions (City Room and Batmans Square), and the integration of the development into the streetscape seems promising.

Keeping Bunjil there will be a great attraction too. It will finally likely become a tourist attraction within this new development, with a few good photo ops available :)

The one concern I have is just how shaded the Public spaces will be. The density and height will block out much of the sunlight to those areas.

Fedsquared's picture

I'm not sure about the need for a footbridge across Wurundjeri Way but agree there needs to be better connectivity across the site. I think this would be better achieved by 'fixing' the Wurundjeri Way/Flinders Street Intersection to make it more people friendly. As is it's a terrible intersection.

Wurundjeri Way was designed so that in the future it could overpass Flinders Street, that is why there is so much wasted space in the middle of the road. Terrible idea that I don't think will ever happen but it would be good if it went into a tunnel under Flinders Street to make the area more pedestrian friendly.

Chris and myself went along to the info session tonight - will do a write up in the next week or so, but no designs have been finalized.

Following the community consultation period Lend Lease will lodge their development plan for the site with the first cab off the rank C1 in 2015.

Overall, I think it's pretty solid plan and Lend Lease have learnt a lot not just from Victoria Harbour but other some of the other Docklands projects.

There was a render on one of the presentation boards which really sold the concept of the City Room space - the challenge is making it a reality.

Qantas743's picture

160m is a cop-out.

That site can and should accommodate something well over 200m.

You should definitely provide LL with the feedback.

Mark Baljak's picture

send in the wowsers...

Lend Lease's Batman's Hill project to cover Docklands road

A public road in Docklands will be shrouded in a massive roof to pave the way for a new $1.5 billion office and apartment tower precinct, the masterplan reveals.
The structure on Batman's Hill will be about four times as wide as the current Collins Street overpass and stretch over Wurundjeri Way to the spot where the Bunjil eagle sculpture now perches.
The 2.5-hectare site opposite Southern Cross Station includes air rights to Wurundjeri Way, allowing developer Lend Lease to build over the thoroughfare.
The masterplan shows four large office buildings fronting Collins Street, the tallest two soaring 160 metres. Two smaller buildings will house offices. The residential towers will sit on a small triangle bordered by the city circle rail line, Flinders Street and Wurundjeri Way.
Both the offices and apartments are likely to significantly overshadow nearby office and residential buildings, including Media House.
RMIT planning professor Michael Buxton is concerned air space over public land is being appropriated. Professor Buxton said planners had missed a great opportunity to increase the community focus of Docklands, with more public space and low buildings that would provide better links to the CBD. Instead of becoming an iconic space, he said, the Batman's Hill project gave the impression of ''massive bulk''.
''It just reinforces the approach of cramming as much as possible in a small space,'' he said.
The development will include a pocket park and public square and laneway connections between Collins and Flinders streets.
While Lend Lease has pledged to allocate about one third of the street level to open space, the president of the Docklands Community Association, Roger Gardner, said the community wanted more.
He said car parking, open space and distance between the buildings were key concerns.
''They're providing about 1000 car park spaces,'' Mr Gardner said. ''I don't think the towers are too high. We always worry about the amount of open space. I'd prefer to see more.''
On completion, in about 2025, the compact city block is expected to accommodate about 10,000 workers and 1000 residents.
Bunjil, the work of sculptor Bruce Armstrong, will shift 10 metres south.
A Lend Lease spokeswoman said discussions with future tenants had already begun.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/lend-leases-batmans-hill-project-to-co...

Buxton lives in rainbow land.

I'm sure the income generated by a Community arts center and a park would cover the cost of decking over a major highway. Then again maybe the poor suffering residents of docklands need millions of dollars of government funding more than people living in Hampton Park.

Adam Ford's picture

"Both the offices and apartments are likely to SIGNIFICANTLY OVERSHADOW nearby office and residential buildings, INCLUDING MEDIA HOUSE."

So, can anyone discern The AGE's REAL agenda here???

Chris Peska's picture

haha yes exactly. The Age haven't been very Pro-development for a while now. This development is within their geographical reach as well, must mean it is "classed as over-development" or "creates over-shadowing for 3 hours a year during the winter solstice" therefore must not go ahead for the sake of their Vitamin D stores!

Observe. Design. Build. Live.

Here is the Grocon/Mirvac bid for the Batmans Hill site:

I just don't have the words...

MelbourneGuy's picture

Now that's impressive.

Fedsquared's picture

That is a great looking tower!

More details

http://www.hassellstudio.com/en/cms-projects/detail/melbourne-docklands-...

The Melbourne Docklands Concept development is located to the west of the CDB, providing a vital link between the established city grid and the emerging Docklands area.

A major design challenge of the proposal was to extend the fine grained, active and urban character of Melbourne's central city into Docklands. At the heart of the development is a cultural hill and public realm that provides a hub for activity and inner-city life. The new precinct has a strong and direct spatial relationship to its surroundings, also acting as an important marker, signalling the focal point of the site when viewed from the Yarra River and beyond.

At the street level the proposal extends the physical characteristics of Flinders and Collins Streets and expands Melbourne's celebrated laneway network. A gently graded pedestrian walkway is the unifying element, rising up through the site to the main square to create a symbolic and functional link.

The program includes commercial, residential, cultural and retail opportunities with the possibility of higher education and community arts facilities. The Collins St tower combines a high end commercial development with a six-star hotel located above, and a public sky-level outlook at the very top. The tower is symbolic and presents as a strong marker to the original establishment of the city of Melbourne.

This concept is an alternative model for Australia's rapidly growing cities, providing a people-focused, mixed use and car free development. It seeks to diversify the demographic and program mix of the area, offering employment, cultural facilities, and recreational and social opportunities.

Mark Baljak's picture

well....shit!

I wonder what the selection criteria were for the choice of developer?

Michael Berquez's picture

I'm confused now....

Andrew Mck's picture

That sucks
I wish i never saw that .

Ryan Seychell's picture

Lend Lease happy with Batman’s Hill feedback

Mr Herlihy said the development plan for the site would be submitted by the end of the month and Lend Lease hoped for approval in the first quarter of next year.
After receiving approval of the master plan Lend Lease will begin planning applications for individual towers starting with the two commercial towers fronting Collins St.

Read More: http://www.docklandsnews.com.au/editions/article/lend-lease-happy-with-b...

Melbourne Muse's picture

Average tripe verses iconic majesty and guess which way Lend Lease have jumped. FFS!

Marvelous Mega-Melbourne

Adam Ford's picture

Ah, but it was "Mr Skyscraper" who made the pick. Time for a new nickname?

Pages

Development & Planning

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 06:00
Planning Minister Richard Wynne has approved another commercial tower at Lendlease's Melbourne Quarter development in the Docklands. The building known as Melbourne Quarter Tower will be located at 693 Collins Street, injecting almost 55,000sqm of office space into the precinct across its 28 floors, in addition to approximately 2,500sqm of retail space.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Thursday, March 9, 2017 - 12:00
As part of the enabling stage of the Queen Victoria Market Renewal Project, the City of Melbourne has finally revealed their plans for the former Munro site, to be developed by PDG Corporation into a mixed-use development comprising a 58-storey Bates Smart designed-tower of 308 dwellings and a 300-room hotel, after the developer was awarded the rights to develop the site on CoM's behalf.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 07:00
Once again Melbourne has turned it on for the spectacular cultural juggernaut that is White Night. A crowd of around 600,000 took part in the all night festival of projections, performances, artworks and installations. Stealing the show again this year was the extraordinary projections upon the Royal Exhibition Building.

Transport & Design

Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 12:00
The large-scale redevelopment of Richmond's former Jaques engineering complex has been marked by an number of onsite dedications. Dating back to 1885 and with frontages to Palmer, Coppin, Dyer and Griffiths Streets, the 9,945sqm site's engineering heritage has been permanently embossed across the site.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 13:00
Victoria Walks, a walking promotion charity supported by VicHeath, is leading a crowdsourcing initiative that is supported by the State Government and 14 councils. The campaign aims to collect and analyse opinions on walking right across the Melbourne metropolitan area. The authorities are asking people to indicate their walking safety concerns through an interactive online map on CrowdSpot's platform.