Advertisement
63 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

DOCKLANDS | NewQuay Promenade | 411-423 Docklands Drive | 18L & 22L | 66m & 76m | Residential

Laurence Dragomir's picture

NewQuay Promenade is a Woods Bagot designed twin tower complex and the first cab off the rank for MAB's NewQuay Central Precinct. Tower 1 featuring a "Cool Silver" curtain wall facade is an 18-storey tower (66m to architectural top), comprising 164 apartments. Public release scheduled April.

Tower 2, with a "Warm Bronze" facade will be 22-storeys (76m) and feature 244 apartments with an anticipated release later in the year. Both towers will offer a mix of 1, 2 and 3 bedroom apartments.

Each tower can be built separately but will most likely both go up at once similar to MAB's other project, The Quays.

Accompanying development overview article by Mark Baljak  can be found here.

Ryan Seychell's picture

Building approval anticipated

30 Apr 2013

Planning Minister Matthew Guy is expected to soon approve two more of the buildings featured in MAB’s NewQuay Central masterplan.
The masterplan was originally unveiled in 2011 under the working title NewQuay Central, but is now being marketed as NewQuay Promenade.
The development involves four residential towers and a fifth building, which may be used as a hotel or residential tower, to be built on what is currently the NewQuay Piazza.
The development plans were met with public protest in 2011, with locals arguing that the buildings would cause overshadowing and would eat up public space.
A spokesperson for MAB said approval of the 18-storey silver tower and 22-storey bronze tower, to be built on the eastern side of the piazza, was expected in the near future.
This will follow Minister Guy’s approval in January of a 43-storey tower and a 16-storey tower, to be built on the western side of the piazza.
A fifth building, to be built at the front of the piazza, and to be used for a residential tower or a hotel, is yet to receive approval.

http://www.docklandsnews.com.au/editions/article/building-approval-antic...

Nicholas Harrison's picture

New rendering including the 135m high 43 storey tower:

MelbourneGuy's picture

Nice! I like the fact that there will be a taller tower there and not just another one at the same height.

Chris Peska's picture

I love the middle curved tower, it may turn out to be a hotel or apartments... getting an apartment in there would be pretty awesome!

Observe. Design. Build. Live.

Andrew Mck's picture

I agree, its great for good height variation in the area...

Lopan's picture

It will be great when it's all completed.

Look's like this area will be thriving with activity with all the new residents.

Ryan Seychell's picture

40 of the 164 apartments in the first tower have sold in the first 4 weeks, so almost 25% sold.

Beat me to it. I'm not surprised, there seemed to be a lot of people putting their names down for first crack at the VIP launch Chris and I attended a few weeks ago.

My impressions from that night were that it would do well, similar to the Quays. At this rate i reckon MAB may release the bronze tower sometime around spring.

Lopan's picture

You have to respect MAB.

They are investing a lot into making the Docklands a great place to live/visit.

Melbman's picture

MAB have really led the way with their designs and overall commitment to making their area work.

The new Central development should be a great asset once these buildings are up and life comes to the area.

Are they still planning on building 2 commercial towers on the south (water) side of Docklands Drive? They had plans for those sites for a long time but it has gone quiet since, and instead the focus moved across the street.

Mark Baljak's picture

50+ sold now

Ryan Seychell's picture

2nd tower is launching soon according to their website.

Would be nice if these, the hotel and the 135m tower all went up at once. Would bring a huge boost to the area.

Melbman's picture

^^ Would be far easier if they did.

Less interruption of the area if that occurs over the medium term. A staggered approach would see many of the retail/ cafe operators inconvenienced as soon as the new stage occurred.

Ryan Seychell's picture

Lopan's picture

Does anyone know when construction will commence?

Bronze tower will be known as Aqui: 

http://www.aquipromenade.com.au

Ryan Seychell's picture

Mark Baljak's picture

must be a touch sluggish down there, launched well over a year ago

Floodslicer

Ryan Seychell's picture

Must be, Even The Altus was meant to begin in March from when I last heard, nothing seems to have started yet.

Ryan Seychell's picture

Out to tender

Qantas743's picture

I've heard Altus will commence in November.

About time (on both counts).

Ryan Seychell's picture

Promenade is 90% sold apparently, not sure if that's the whole development or just the smaller tower.

Mark Baljak's picture

Bureau AU alternative design for the towers

Melbman's picture

^^ Interesting concept. Think I prefer what is planned now though.

Pages

Development & Planning

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 12:00
The swirl of development activity in Footscray has found another gear as new projects are submitted for approval, or are on the verge of beginning construction. Two separate planning applications have been advertised by Maribyrnong City Council; their subsequent addition to the Urban Melbourne Project Database has seen the overall number of apartment developments within Footscray in development swell to 40.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:00
The marriage of old and new can be a difficult process, particularly when the existing structure has intrinsic heritage value. In previous times Fitzroy's 237 Napier Street served as the home of furniture manufacturer C.F. Rojo and Sons. Taking root during 1887, Christobel Rojo oversaw operations though over time the site would become home to furniture manufacturer Thonet.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Friday, August 25, 2017 - 07:00
The former site of John Batman's home, Batman's Hill is entering the final stages of its redevelopment. Collins Square's final tower has begun its skyward ascent, as has Lendlease's Melbourne Quarter Commercial and Residential precinct already. Melbourne Quarter's first stage is at construction and involves a new 12-storey home for consultancy firm Arup along with a skypark.

Transport & Design

Friday, December 15, 2017 - 11:00
Infrastructure Victoria unveiled a new round of research into its larger programme of work dealing with managing transport demand. The authority contracted Arup and KPMG to produce the Melbourne Activity Based Model (MABM) and while it is new, it is considered fit for purpose in the strategic context.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 12:00
Cbus Property's office development for Medibank at 720 Bourke Street in Docklands recently became the first Australian existing property to receive a WELL Certification, Gold Shell and Core rating. The WELL rating goes beyond sustainable building features with a greater focus on the health and well-being of a building's occupants.