Mark Baljak's picture

Images © Rothe Lowman

podium is magnificent - a flowing design all round

Peter Maltezos's picture

^^ WOW! surprise

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Alastair Taylor's picture

First question which came to my mind was what's the cyclone fence for.... :)

Rounded corners are all rage down in Fish Bend.

Qantas743's picture

Holy crap when is Matthew Guy going to start approving these babies?!

Andrew Mck's picture

Nice

Michael Berquez's picture

Perfect in my eyes

Melbman's picture

Now that is class.

Very nice design.

My only issue with this area is that I would hate to see each block filled to this scale with one podium. The areas masterplan needs to include squares, community facilities, laneways and a general activity centre hub in each of the FB areas.

The best way to make these new areas is to fit in with the existing Melbourne CBD's use of laneways to provide some points of interest for retail and art to utilise. Using large single developments of the scale would make such a plan very hard to achieve.

Mark Baljak's picture

interesting that COPP asked for the removal of the Village Hall. Images © Rothe Lowman

Staging and tower separation

ground

Podium 6

Mark Baljak's picture

some space given back to public domain, towers have increased from 53 to 58 - may just tip over 200m mark. two other towers at 28 levels

approval expected shortly - comment was it's build ready

Crz's picture

Anyone know what's happening to this ?

Crz's picture

Anyone know what's happening to this ?

Mark Baljak's picture

At last year's Meinhardt talk they said both taller towers were approved with extra levels, prob about 200m each now

Also hearing that R & F aren't too far away with advancing to sales

Mark Baljak's picture

Group turns on Labor over huge South Melbourne tower plan approval

A community group that has worked closely with Labor in recent years has turned on the Andrews government, accusing it of betrayal over a massive development that has been approved in Fishermans Bend.

Planning Minister Richard Wynne on Thursday approved four towers – two of them 51-storeys high – in South Melbourne's Johnson Street, which forms part of the Fishermans Bend Urban Renewal Area.

The project was put forward by developer Maxvic Holdings in 2013 after the area was rezoned by then minister Matthew Guy.

The four-tower residential development, designed by architects Rothe Lowman, will feature a 21-storey tower, one of 27 levels, and the two rising to 51 levels. The towers were lowered by seven levels in order to gain approval.

The project will include 1276 apartments – with only 25 of them being three-bedroom. The remainder will be studio, one or two bedroom units.

Mr Wynne said that no apartments would have a smaller floor space than 40 square metres.

Developer contributions would deliver more than $25.4 million for infrastructure, Mr Wynne said.

The project will include:

66 studio apartments
583 one-bedroom apartments
584 two-bedroom apartments
25 three-bedroom apartments
18 "home-office" apartments

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/group-turns-on-labor-over-huge-south-m...

Ryan Seychell's picture

I'm getting sick of these height reductions. Good it's approved though.

Nicholas Harrison's picture

From what Mark posted last month is sounds like they might have been increased in height to 58 levels then reduced back down to 51 levels???

I am eagerly waiting to hear the justification for reducing the height of these towers.

Ryan Seychell's picture

My only thought would be that it may have overshadowed a future park planned for the area?

Heard on the radio this morning that residents are furious because Wynne approved the tower when there are mandatory height restrictions in place for 40 levels. Not sure if they realise it's only for new proposals.

Was thinking though, could these height restrictions be because the government doesn't want to overpopulate the area before services are put in place? I can't think of any other reason?

ford wong's picture

The planned population for Fishermans Bend is 80,000. Basing on the 14 applications on hand with 4 in Lorimer area, They have already filled around 40% of the quota. That is why the new height restriction only allow 4 storey in some area. Even with 40 storey limit, Fishermans Bend will be over populated!

The Lorimer Precinct is the furthest from existing residential areas and should accommodate the tallest buildings. Restricting buildings to 40 levels is a blunt tool, which as you point out won't prevent 'overpopulation' and has been introduced for political reasons not planning reasons.

Far more worrying from a planning perspective is the approval of 101 Salmon Street out in the middle of nowhere.

Actually the City of Port Phillip did not object to the proposed height of these towers so I have no idea why they were cut by 7 levels.

ford wong's picture

I agreed with your reason as polictical. It will be interesting to see how the 18 applications before April 17th height limit approvals will turn out.

Riddlz's picture
Ryan Seychell's picture

Not surprised

Qantas743's picture

Really hope whoever buys the site goes with this scheme, they'd be mad not to.

Mateusz Gwozdz's picture

Ditto. The plans seem like it gets all aspects about right. One of my fav proposals.

johnproctor's picture

potentially more attractive proposition now that the interim controls are in place in CBD and Southbank.

3000's picture

I'm liking it.

Pages

Development & Planning

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 12:00
The swirl of development activity in Footscray has found another gear as new projects are submitted for approval, or are on the verge of beginning construction. Two separate planning applications have been advertised by Maribyrnong City Council; their subsequent addition to the Urban Melbourne Project Database has seen the overall number of apartment developments within Footscray in development swell to 40.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:00
The marriage of old and new can be a difficult process, particularly when the existing structure has intrinsic heritage value. In previous times Fitzroy's 237 Napier Street served as the home of furniture manufacturer C.F. Rojo and Sons. Taking root during 1887, Christobel Rojo oversaw operations though over time the site would become home to furniture manufacturer Thonet.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Friday, August 25, 2017 - 07:00
The former site of John Batman's home, Batman's Hill is entering the final stages of its redevelopment. Collins Square's final tower has begun its skyward ascent, as has Lendlease's Melbourne Quarter Commercial and Residential precinct already. Melbourne Quarter's first stage is at construction and involves a new 12-storey home for consultancy firm Arup along with a skypark.

Transport & Design

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 12:00
When a site spans 19,280 square metres, it becomes a 'district'. That's the case according to the development team behind the Jam Factory's pending overhaul. Reporting on the project to date has focused on the close to 60,000 square metres of new commercial space that is earmarked for the site, but more importantly from a layperson's perspective is the extensive new public realm that is planned as part of the development.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 12:00
Cbus Property's office development for Medibank at 720 Bourke Street in Docklands recently became the first Australian existing property to receive a WELL Certification, Gold Shell and Core rating. The WELL rating goes beyond sustainable building features with a greater focus on the health and well-being of a building's occupants.