Advertisement
250 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

FITZROY + FITZROY NORTH | 3065 + 3068 | Projects

Alastair Taylor's picture
Chris Peska's picture

Looks like lots of good developments going up. Although the amount of good potential development sites are reducing in number as days go by.

Observe. Design. Build. Live.

Jannete Castillo's picture

I think these are really good projects that help to enhance the potential of the city.

Chris Peska's picture

Thanks Jannete and welcome to the forum! :-)

Mark Baljak's picture

few new ones here

422 Brunswick Street (redirected)
http://urbanmelbourne.info/projects/yarra/422-brunswick-street-fitzroy

rear elevation

44 Brunswick Street - redevelopment of Metropole
http://urbanmelbourne.info/projects/yarra/44-brunswick-street-fitzroy

81 Argyle Street - glassed bike room at street level, guess an art gallery could have achieved the same result
http://urbanmelbourne.info/projects/yarra/81-argyle-street-fitzroy

johnproctor's picture

That 44 Brunswick is rubbish.

Rohan Storey's picture

Yes 44 Brunswick looks bad, but its only one extra floor on something that looks bad already - I really dont like 422 Brunswick St - thats 7 storeys on a very important street ! I just drove in from around Brunswick today, shaking my head at the many lumpy awful and tall and therefore too dominating things popping up there, and when I crossed Alexandra Parade I thought, nothing like that here, where the streetscapes more historic and valued, but .....!!!! 4 or 5 storeys at the rear of Victorian stuff OK, where it wouldnt be too visible, but seven floors, even with a generous setback, will be all too visible up and down Brunswick Street.

I now await approbation from the group.

Lookingupatbuildings

Mark Baljak's picture

is there a uniform height overlay for the area, or left to council's whim?

Mark Baljak's picture

larger versions of the proposed 62-70 Johnston Street, Fitzroy

Mark Baljak's picture

lodged in june

9-17 Smith Street Fitzroy

45 total, 33 two-bedroom, 12 one-bedroom, 2x office spaces - 96sqm in total
restaurant - 100 seated, café, retail 51sqm

5+7 levels, NeoMetro + mcallister alcock architects

and i thought crayons were a thing of the past

Chris Peska's picture

Well as long as they coloured within the lines. Very textural!

Bilby's picture

Shame about the demolition of one of the last 1920s motor garages in the city, however, not to mention the historic red brick gabled warehouse to Little Smith Street.

Rohan Storey's picture

No Yarra doesnt have any height limits - they tried a 'structure plan' for Smith Street, which talked about 'respecting scale of the street' setbacks etc. no actual heights, but was shot down by the Panel for being too 'limiting'. It reads like the site owners had better planning advocates than Yarra. There is a structure plan for Victoria Street which implies a max of 7 storeys, with substantial setbacks; lots of diagrams rather than strict limits.

Yarra is trailing badly behind what developers are proposing, so outside those areas and large sites, basically 5, 6 or 7 floors are proposed, Council tries to take one off, and VCAT puts it back. Very poor process. Yarra should realise that development pressure here is similar to City of Melb, which has many areas with recommended height limits built into the Planning Scheme as DDO's, such as 8 storeys max for south carlton. Yarra has none ! But then City of Melb has a much larger planning department, far more experience, and has had height limits since the 1980s, and State Govt policy for a long time has been anti actual height limits. But having some, whatever they were, could save so much time and energy ! The new zoning allows height limits for Mixed Use and Commercial Zones, so interesting to see what transpires.

Lookingupatbuildings

Nicholas Harrison's picture

The new zoning allows for height limits in the residential and mixed use zones but not the commercial zones.

Mark Baljak's picture

62-70 Johnston St rejected by council

Bilby's picture

Has anyone seen this proposal by Room11 Architects in the back streets of Fitzroy (11-13 Spring St.)?
http://room11.com.au/projects/fitzroy-apartments/

Despite its $6 million budget, council didn't see fit to include it in their 'Major Developments' list, so I didn't hear about it until recently (and well after the time to make submissions). It looks like a very thoughtful and well detailed building, though, despite overwhelming the little gold rush era Victorian double storey house (or hotel perhaps?) on the site.

Bilby's picture

This proposal at 239-249 Johnston Street also hasn't been included in this thread as yet. It will not only involve the demolition of the historic (and heritage listed) Lyric Star Cinema (1911), but also the original MacRobertson's Garage building on the corner of Johnston and Gore street. Interestingly the heritage advisor (Bryce Raworth) failed to identify the building correctly in his heritage report. It forms part of an intact row of MacRobertsons factory buildings in the 'White City' precinct stretching all the way down Gore Street almost to Leceister Street.

http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/list-planning-applications/view-applicat...

Mark Baljak's picture

bibly there'll be a bit more info coming on room 11 soon enough, and that proposal is a ripper

also there's about 6-7 projects still to add within city of yarra to database/threads - time permitting

Bilby's picture

Yes, so far the Room 11 proposal looks very good indeed.

Mark Baljak's picture

Developer Neometro builds up social contribution in Fitzroy project

It sounds like an oxymoron: a property developer with a social conscience.
Neometro director James Tutton acknowledges the contradiction, but says his firm's latest project, 9 Smith Street in Fitzroy, fits the bill even before it has been built.
''There's a focus on social enterprise, looking at the business in the context of a double bottom line - making a financial return as well as a social and community contribution,'' Mr Tutton said.
That's because, before removing a single brick on its development site, Neometro has installed an artist-in-residence, a non-profit gallery, community garden and start-up cafe.
Advertisement
The project is an amalgam of three ordinary-looking brick and concrete buildings between Gertrude Street and Victoria Parade that will be demolished to make way for a $35-million, seven-storey apartment block.
''It's sitting there vacant. We may as well offer it to the community,'' said Neil McLennan, another director of the business.
On the site is an urban farming project that uses infill land for food production, a pilot project for a new initiative called 3000 Acres, seeded with $60,000 funding from VicHealth.
It's a first of its kind that has seen Fitzroy's diverse population, from hipsters to recent immigrants, take up plots in the large, movable pallets. The aspiring gardeners will have several growing cycles before building kicks off in 12 months' time.
Slopes gallery, run by Melissa Loughnan, features local artists and the Placeholder cafe, along with all the other temporary occupants of the site, operate rent free.
Mr McLennan is upfront about the business benefits. ''It's also about dragging people into our display suite,'' he said.
But the development firm has also notched up another first: it recently joined a select group of businesses certified as B Corporations - companies that use the power of business to solve social and environmental problems.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/property/developer-neometro-builds-up-soc...

Bilby's picture

A developer "…with a social conscience" wouldn't demolish a historically significant 1920s garage building on one of Yarra's most important heritage streetscapes. Offering 12 months of gardening to Fitzroy locals is frankly no compensation for the destruction of one of the last 1920s motor garages in the precinct. The only reason this part of Smith Street is unprotected is because of a council oversight (being rectified with a long overdue heritage study as we speak).

Rohan Storey's picture

Its great to make the site available for interesting stuff before the development, but even better if the development itself had room for such things eg. low cost studio space, residents vege plots on the roof, perhaps even some apartments for low-income earners ! The hipsters and artists will soon have to move our of Fitzroy....

Lookingupatbuildings

Rohan Storey's picture

Also just wanted to note that MIYA is actually 6 levels on the Rose Street half and 4 for the Kerr Street half - was originally going to be all 6 storeys, but VCAT partly agreed with Council and cut down 'front' half on Kerr Street, which after all is a street of little terrace houses.

Lookingupatbuildings

Mark Baljak's picture

great looking little development

160 Argyle Street

Edinburgh Village

Bilby's picture

Those ground level porthole windows on the laneway facade of 160 Argyle will cop a fair but of graffiti - possibly problematic for the owner of that particular apartment (depending if this is a habitable room?). The removal of the roof of the old warehouse and insertion of the new build right behind the parapet doesn't look too good, either - an unnecessary case of façadism? Even 4 metres setback would have helped. It's great that the side wall along the other lane was retained, though.

Peter Maltezos's picture

160 Argyle Street proposal is a stunning design!

$550,000 for a two bedroom apartment is reasonable as well.

As for graffiti being a problem for the ground level apartment, from my experience it's the least of the owner's problems.

I would never purchase a ground level apartment ever anywhere in inner Melbourne or a house for that matter anywhere in Melbourne!

Almost everyone I know who has lived in a ground level abode has been broken into.

My family home (a freestanding single level home) in Richmond has been broken into three times.

All 4 apartments at the ground level of the Richmond apartment block I lived in had been broken into, but no apartment had above that level.

I hear similar from nearly everyone I know throughout Melbourne!

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Pages

Development & Planning

Friday, July 21, 2017 - 00:00
Last week's joint announcement by Planning Minister Richard Wynne, Premier Daniel Andrews and Lord Mayor Robert Doyle that the Amendment C245 planning controls have been adopted, paves the way for work to commence on the $250 million dollar redevelopment of the Queen Victoria Market. Concept for Munro site (subject to change).

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Friday, July 14, 2017 - 00:00
It is so much easier to knock a building down than it is to build one. Building is a long and involved process of dreaming, planning, scheming, and the wonderfully gritty bit that is actually constructing a physical manifestation of these things, while getting rid of a building sometimes takes no more than a bit of paperwork, some heavy machinery, and the stroke of a pen.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 07:00
Once again Melbourne has turned it on for the spectacular cultural juggernaut that is White Night. A crowd of around 600,000 took part in the all night festival of projections, performances, artworks and installations. Stealing the show again this year was the extraordinary projections upon the Royal Exhibition Building.

Transport & Design

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 13:00
Little by little we're getting closer to the money and shovels-in-the-ground end of the Melbourne Metro Tunnel project with the announcement that the Cross Yarra Partnership is the successful bidder for the Tunnel & Stations availability-based private-public partnership (PPP) contract.

Sustainability & Environment

Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 12:00
The greening of Southbank is a step closer to reality following the endorsement of the draft concept plan for Southbank Boulevard and Dodds Street by the Future Melbourne Committee on Tuesday, 18 July, 2017.