Advertisement
15 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Melbourne 1956, The XVI Olympiad

Peter Maltezos's picture

Melbourne 1956, The XVI Olympiad

Text extracts from The Herald-Sun, Australian Olympic History

Melbourne’s Olympic Games, from the 22 November to 8 December 1956, marked the first time in Olympic history that the Games had been held in the southern hemisphere. They were preceded by a period of immense international tension, with the Cold War raging, and Soviet tanks rolling into Hungary. Armed forces from Israel. Briton and France had moved into Egypt to annex the Suez Canal, and relations between Taiwan and Mainland China were barely tolerable. All this led to a spate of boycotts of the Games, from the Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, Egypt, Lebanon and Iraq. Because of the boycotts and Melbourne’s remoteness from Europe, the number of competitors (2958 men and 384 women) was the smallest since 1932 – although a surprisingly large number of 69 nations competed. At home, the pre-Games period was plagued by disorganization and industrial unrest, and at one stage the IOC threatened to take the Games from Melbourne. Another setback forced by Australia’s strict quarantine laws, was the decision to hold equestrian events in Stockholm, Sweden.

Despite all this, the XVI Olympiad was a magnificent success, and – because of goodwill between the teams and the generous spirit of the crowds – became known forever as the Friendly Games. The mood of goodwill was consolidated by the decision of the organizers to adopt a suggestion from John Ian Wing, an Australian-born Chinese apprentice carpenter, that all teams should mingle and walk (not march) during the closing ceremony. This has been done ever since.

Competing on home soil for the first time, Australia fielded a record team of 291 (including 35 women) at the 1956 Olympic Games, and had its most bountiful medal haul. The team won 13 gold medals, 8 silver and 14 bronze. After a glorious Opening Ceremony in which Ron Clarke lit the Olympic flame and John Landy took the Olympic oath on behalf of assembled athletes, the Games ushered in a new crop of Australian heroes and heroines with names like Cuthbert, Fraser, Crapp, Rose and Henricks.

On the Melbourne Cricket Ground, Betty Cuthbert won three gold medals, in the 100 and 200 metres and 4 x 100 relay. Her team-mate Shirley Strickland, who had already won gold in Helsinki in the 80 metres hurdles, defended that title successfully and combined with Cuthbert, Fleur Mellor and Norma Croker to win in the relay.

At the swimming pool young Australians, who had trained in Townsville during winter, shocked the world by winning every freestyle gold medal, men’s and women’s. Murray Rose. A 17 year old raised on a diet that included raw seaweed, matched Cuthbert’s performance by winning gold in the 400 and 1500 metres and 4 x 200 relay. Dawn Fraser won the first two gold medals of a remarkable career, in the 100 freestyle and the relay, and Lorraine Crapp won the 400 and shared the relay win. Jon Henricks took the 100 metres freestyle, with another gold in the relay. Queensland’s David Theile won the first of his two successive 100 metres backstroke championships.

At the velodrome, Ian Browne and Tony Marchant took over the tandem title that had been won in Helsinki by Russell Mockridge and Lionel Cox. On the running track, Kevan Gosper, later an IOC vice-president, won silver in the 4 x 400 relay.

Medal Tally

Country           Gold           Silver        Bronze         Total

1  USSR             37               29               32               98

2  USA               32                25              17               74

3  Australia       13                8                14               35

4  Hungary          9                10                7                26

5  Italy                  8                 8                 9                25

Sports and locations

Opening and closing ceremonies – MCG

Athletics – MCG

Basketball – The Glaciarium

Fencing – StKilda Town Hall

Soccer – MCG and Olympic Park

Weightlifting – Royal Exhibition Building

Modern pentathlon – Oaklands Huntclub and various arenas

Boxing – Melbourne Festival Hall

Hockey – MCG and Olympic Park

Yachting – Port Phillip Bay

Shooting – Williamstown range and RAAF station at Laverton

Rowing – Lake Wendouree, Ballarat

Swimming and Diving – Olympic Swimming Pool

Wrestling – Royal Exhibition Building

Cycling – Olympic Velodrome and country road course, Broadmeadows

Gymnastics – The Glaciarium

Demonstrations – MCG

The Olympic Village was at Heidelberg.

The Olympic Stadia during the games.

Ron Clarke lighting the Olympic flame.

The Olympic Village.

REB, location for wrestling and weightlifting.

The now demolished Glaciarium, location for basketball and gymnastics.

The Olympic Pool, location for swimming and diving.

Lake Wendouree, Ballarat, location for rowing events.

Peter Maltezos's picture

Street scenes during the Melbourne 1956 Olympic games

Stamps released in 2006 to commemorate fifty years on.

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Myer all decked out for the Olympic Games in 1956.

Inveresk Mansion in Jolimont with decorated PMG telecommunications tower.

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Memorabilia from my collections

Ornament from Olympic Official car.

Souvenir plate.

The official stamps released for the event.

Stamp miniature sheet.

An Olympic Games ticket.

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Olympic Games guide.

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Olympic Games participation medal.

Citius, Altius, Fortius - Faster, Higher, Stronger.

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Olympic Games brochure.

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Coles Store decorated for the Olympic Games, showing John Batman and colonial settlement of Melbourne, Bourke Street.

http://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/1689130

Foy's Department Store, decorated for the 1956 Olympics as well, on the north-east corner of Bourke and Swanston Streets.

http://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/1689132

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Intersection of Collins and Elizabeth Streets.

The building with the Orlando Wine ad is the Australian Building on Elizabeth Street.

The large building on the right is the MLC Building (Mutual Life & Citizens Assurance Company) that used to stand on the south-west corner of Collins and Elizabeth Streets.

http://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/789478

Myer Bourke Street, decorated with Olympic symbol, white statues of athletes and the flags of the Olympic nations.

http://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/1689129

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

The intersection of Flinders and Swanston Street with a large model of the Olympic torch lit up.

http://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/799904

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Olympic Games Village scene.

http://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/789465

The entrance to the Olympic Games Village in Heidelberg West.

http://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/789459

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

The Olympic Cauldron at the MCG.

Bourke Street looking east near the Elizabeth Street intersection.

Wellington Parade from Spring Street.

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Stunning photo of the Olympic Pool.

Essendon Airport during the games.

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Swanston Street looking south from little Bourke Street.

The National Museum of Australia, on Flickr

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Olympic neon sign, Carlton & United Brewery, Swanston Street.

http://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/793823

thecollectormm.com.au

Development & Planning

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 12:00
The swirl of development activity in Footscray has found another gear as new projects are submitted for approval, or are on the verge of beginning construction. Two separate planning applications have been advertised by Maribyrnong City Council; their subsequent addition to the Urban Melbourne Project Database has seen the overall number of apartment developments within Footscray in development swell to 40.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:00
The marriage of old and new can be a difficult process, particularly when the existing structure has intrinsic heritage value. In previous times Fitzroy's 237 Napier Street served as the home of furniture manufacturer C.F. Rojo and Sons. Taking root during 1887, Christobel Rojo oversaw operations though over time the site would become home to furniture manufacturer Thonet.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Friday, August 25, 2017 - 07:00
The former site of John Batman's home, Batman's Hill is entering the final stages of its redevelopment. Collins Square's final tower has begun its skyward ascent, as has Lendlease's Melbourne Quarter Commercial and Residential precinct already. Melbourne Quarter's first stage is at construction and involves a new 12-storey home for consultancy firm Arup along with a skypark.

Transport & Design

Friday, December 15, 2017 - 11:00
Infrastructure Victoria unveiled a new round of research into its larger programme of work dealing with managing transport demand. The authority contracted Arup and KPMG to produce the Melbourne Activity Based Model (MABM) and while it is new, it is considered fit for purpose in the strategic context.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 12:00
Cbus Property's office development for Medibank at 720 Bourke Street in Docklands recently became the first Australian existing property to receive a WELL Certification, Gold Shell and Core rating. The WELL rating goes beyond sustainable building features with a greater focus on the health and well-being of a building's occupants.