Advertisement
25 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

MELBOURNE | 229 Franklin Street | ~30L | Student Accommodation

Ryan Seychell's picture

New development going up at, 229 Franklin Street by Iglu Student Housing. Demolition is almost complete.

-

Here's an article from last year:

Iglu grabs Melbourne CBD site for student accommodation
Apr 15 2015 at 6:04 PM

Student accommodation group Iglu has roared into Melbourne, snapping up a prime development site in the fast-growing precinct around Queen Victoria Market for close to $20 million.

Now backed by powerful investors Macquarie Capital and Singapore ­sovereign wealth fund GIC, which have a majority stake in the group, Iglu's arrival in Melbourne has been long foreshadowed as it expands its footprint in the Australian market.

For the local market, the deal is the first major development site to change hands without a permit since new Labor planning Richard Wynne took up his post.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/real-estate/iglu-grabs-melbourne-cbd-site-for-student...
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

Adam Ford's picture

And here's a picture of the unlisted 1905 warehouse that was demolished for it.

12316585_980802791966282_6072572986317619842_n by Melbourne_Heritage_Action, on Flickr

To be fair to the developer, it was only preparatory works for this development that revealed the original facade that had been hidden behind aluminium cladding. Still it's sad this couldn't have somehow been retained once discovered.

Ryan Seychell's picture

and the site now:

Mark Baljak's picture

Anyone need some bricks?

Would have been nice if the facade was retained, but then again the facadism police would have been out in force again.

Any more details, like the architect?

Primal Beauty's picture

Lol...stop teasing...they might knock on your door; the police I mean!

Adam Ford's picture

That's probably a bit unfair. The "facadism police" are generally pretty relaxed about single storey industrial/warehouse structures, so long as any development is setback reasonably. The facade's probably the only element worth preserving, as it was massively altered.

And as there's no overlay, any preservation would have been a windfall. There being nothing to actually "police".

No idea regarding the architect, the building was unlisted so no formal statement of significance and nobody even knew it was hidden there. And architect also unknown for the other much earlier and heritage listed former Currie and Richards warehouse at 79 Franklin.

3000's picture

This is the Facadism Police, we got a call about a possible joke at our expense?

Primal Beauty's picture

He he...cop that!

Mark Baljak's picture

Seriously, it would have been worthwhile to retain that frontage.

Set the tower back 5-7m and let it go a little taller instead.

This whole planning stuff is easy.....

Bilby's picture

Sure is. Another character filled Melbourne street wrecked for ... well, no reason really. Thanks "Iglu" - your expanded "footprint" has just trashed one of the coolest remaining industrial buildings with original signage in the city. I wonder who's cultural heritage you'll set your sights on next?

Riddlz's picture

Not 100% sure its the same building as above, but looks right

Peter Maltezos's picture

^^no 

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

3000's picture

I'll pass on this one.

Ryan Seychell's picture

I like it. All depends on the type/quality of materials used though I suppose.

Laurence Dragomir's picture

I don't mind it either - reminds me of some of the new builds in Rotterdam and Amsterdam

Peter Maltezos's picture

Just looks like a design from 1973, absolutely does nothing for me.

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Bilby's picture

So ... we lost the Currie & Richards warehouses for this?

Adrian's picture

Just found out about this one - what an absolute disgrace that warehouse frontage was lost for cheap student accommodation.

Hello Clay Lucas & M.Buxton where are you ? Oh wait cheap bland mid-rise housing is your mantra I forgot ..

Mark Baljak's picture

Hacer is the builder

Ryan Seychell's picture

Ryan Seychell's picture

redden's picture

The info on this could do with an update, now that it's 2 towers, 24 and 10.

From Queen Vic car park.

[/QUOTE]

redden's picture

Iglu, 10L and 24L, has climbed into the view from Leicester Street, Carlton, over the roofs of the Queen Vic Market precinct. We still need an update on the thread title, now that it's no longer 30L.

[/QUOTE]

Mark Baljak's picture

rocketing along

Ryan Seychell's picture

IMG_8357 by Ryan Seychell, on Flickr

Development & Planning

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 00:00
During July, Urban Melbourne reported on City of Melbourne's positive response to Salta Properties' bid to have a skyscraper approved at 63 Exhibition Street. Last week a permit for the mixed-use, Bates Smart-designed tower was granted by the Minister for Planning, concluding a lengthy three-year stint at planning for the application.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 00:00
No doubt about it, the emerging build-to-rent model has the property media in a tizz at the moment. What may in part become a solution to the housing and rental affordability dilemma has garnered immense media attention of late.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Friday, August 25, 2017 - 07:00
The former site of John Batman's home, Batman's Hill is entering the final stages of its redevelopment. Collins Square's final tower has begun its skyward ascent, as has Lendlease's Melbourne Quarter Commercial and Residential precinct already. Melbourne Quarter's first stage is at construction and involves a new 12-storey home for consultancy firm Arup along with a skypark.

Transport & Design

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 12:00
Andréanne Doyon , RMIT University ; Joe Hurley , RMIT University ; Susie Moloney , RMIT University , and Trivess Moore , RMIT University Australia’s building and land-use policy settings fall well short of what’s needed to make meaningful progress toward creating sustainable cities. You will find environmental sustainability goals and objectives in government strategy documents.

Sustainability & Environment

Monday, September 4, 2017 - 12:00
The recent BDAV Building Design Awards once more showcased the talents and expertise of Victoria's building designers. 2017 was the 22nd year of the BDAV Design Awards, which aims to "profile excellence in building design, as well as profiling the importance of the building design profession to both the building industry and to the broader community." One project that ticked the boxes was Green Edge.