Advertisement
1035 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

MELBOURNE | 3000 | General News and Discussion

Ryan Seychell's picture

According to a news report on Channel 7 this evening the redevelopment of the Queen Victoria Market is still alive. Looks like they're going to extend Franklin Street through to connect with Dudley Street, then sell off the land on the other side and develop 2x50 storey towers which will be used to fund the redevelopment of the market. The car park is set to go with a park to replace it. Can't find anymore information at the moment..

Fedsquared's picture
Andrew Mck's picture

Lol, ''what we need are carparks, not redevelopment''.
God, those renders are shocking, you would think they would present it with something better.
Seriously though, this could be a fantastic development..

Chris Peska's picture

It is quite baffling that they assume that their customers only get to the markets using a car?? I would guess that at least half of the people that shop there get a tram or walk there to buy produce and there a couple of multi storey car park's very close to the markets anyway. So removing 50 or so car parks will not spell the end of the markets...

Observe. Design. Build. Live.

Alastair Taylor's picture

I like the two new supposedly 50 level high Marland Houses.... hahah Channel 7, bless.

Ryan Seychell's picture

New render of the Jim Stynes Bridge currently under construction at Northbank

Can watch a fly through of the bridge here: http://www.dpcd.vic.gov.au/planning/urbandesign/projects/northbank-prome...

Ryan Seychell's picture
Peter Maltezos's picture

Yes, the Suncorp/AXA/National Mutual Building (former Western Market) site, was expecting this.

Pity really, it did look great in its heyday before the marble started dropping off.

Photo I took a few years ago.

Wolfgang Sievers photo soon after it was completed in the 1960s.

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Ryan Seychell's picture

The newly animated AMP sign can be seen here if you haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIaVkS_n3Vc

MelbourneGuy's picture

Any idea as to what is being planned for the AXA site guys?

Mark Baljak's picture

not as yet

Ryan Seychell's picture

I wonder if Matthew Guy's decision to remove restrictions on overshadowing the river had something to do with this site as well as 555 Collins..

Chris Peska's picture

http://www.melbournestar.com

New website for the wheel is up. Opening soon apparently.

Dangerous Beans's picture

LOL, I wonder what their definition of 'opening soon' is, given thier track record it probably means something like April 2018... Time to get excited people! Not.

Ryan Seychell's picture

Last I heard the pods were going to be assembled this month, with an opening October/November i think, sometime later this year anyway

Ryan Seychell's picture

Looks like the park at New Quay Central will start soon? http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/BuildingandPlanning/Planning/Pages/Plann...

Ryan Seychell's picture

Margaret Court Arena coming along nicely:

Ryan Seychell's picture

Application for a 36 level building at 58-66 La Trobe Street was refused by MCC last week: http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/BuildingandPlanning/Planning/Pages/Plann...
Don't think we'd seen any renders for it yet.

Mark Baljak's picture

site's big enough, developer should go taller and throw it into the hands of the state government

Ryan Seychell's picture

New park proposed for inner north
June 4, 2013 - 6:00PM
Aisha Dow

It's a safe bet the fate of most vacant blocks in Melbourne's inner suburbs lies in some sort of multi-story development.

But tonight Melbourne City Council will debate a very different kind of project – a plan to buy a piece of North Melbourne or Kensington and transform it into a park.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/new-park-proposed-for-inner-north-2013...

Ryan Seychell's picture

Looks like Matthew Guy has finally approved the list of buildings for heritage protection.

CBD heritage buildings denied protection
June 5, 2013 - 11:40AM
Deborah Gough

Planning Minister Matthew Guy has moved to protect 87 historic city buildings but a further 10 may yet be subject to the wrecker's ball.

Nine of the 10 are post-war buildings nominated by Heritage Victoria. Some are part of the Modernist and Brutalist architecture movement, including the Hoyts Mid City building in Bourke Street and the National Mutual Life Centre in Collins Street.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cbd-heritage-buildings-denied-protecti...

Here's the media release also: http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/images/130605_-_Guy-_Guy_locks_in_CBD__her...

Ryan Seychell's picture

Looks like the old convention centre is set for demolition, with a temporary park replacing it until development occurs. Good outcome I think, the area is horrible at the moment.

Convention Centre set to go
June 19, 2013
Simon Johanson

World Trade Centre Melbourne Convention Centre Yarra River Spencer Street

The former Melbourne Convention Centre on the edge of the Yarra River is set to be demolished to make way for two commercial towers.

Veteran developer Clement Lee's privately held company Asset 1 WTC and another firm Hanz (Spencer Street) have lodged plans to raze the low-rise building that abuts the prominent semi-circle Crowne Plaza Hotel.

The concrete structure on the Spencer Street junction where the CBD, Southbank and Docklands meet was offloaded by the Victorian government in 2010 after the new Melbourne Convention Centre on the opposite bank of the river was completed.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/business/convention-centre-set-to-go-20130618-2...

Chris Peska's picture

Agreed, at the moment it is just a blob of concrete in a prime location. Following demolition the area will be filled with plenty of usable space and views across to Docklands at street level.

Viscount Melbourne's picture

Quick question, if they are spending 3 Mil to establish a temp park there, it doesn't seem like they are in any rush to build the two towers for that site. Does anyone think 3 Mil for a temp park is way too much?

Ryan Seychell's picture

The $3 million includes facade works to the Crowne hotel as it is currently connected to the Convention Centre as well as demolition i'd say. Park couldn't cost too much..

Peter Maltezos's picture

Hard to believe that it was once featured on a postcard.

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Pages

Development & Planning

Friday, December 2, 2016 - 06:00
Almost three years to the day of Urban Melbourne covering Eq. Tower's planning application , ICD Property's 62-storey tower at 127-141 A'Beckett Street has held its topping out ceremony. The event held onsite yesterday coincided with the first round of residents settling on apartments within the Elenberg Fraser designed scraper.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:00
The New Urban Agenda was officially adopted in Quito, Ecuador in the last plenary of the Habitat III conference. The agenda provides a 20-year “roadmap” to guide sustainable urban development globally. The text of the New Urban Agenda itself was agreed well before Habitat III at the UN General Assembly in September, during an extraordinary informal negotiation session that lasted for more than 30 hours.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 17:00
Melbourne’s architectural landscape is a wonderful juxtaposition of modern and Victorian architecture. Although the CBD has been peppered with many skyscrapers, its historical structures have won Melbourne the title of “Australia’s most European city”.

Transport & Design

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 08:30
The recent approval of Sterling Global 's mixed-use tower at 383 La Trobe Street adds to the influx of towers with international influence leaving their mark not only on Melbourne's skyline, but the city's streetscapes. The $700 million mixed-use tower, a collaboration between French design architect Ateliers Jean Nouvel and local Australian executive architect Architectus, has been designed with people at its core.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 12:00
Timber mid-rise buildings are becoming the preferred choice for many stakeholders in Melbourne, due to a combination of factors, including cost-effectiveness, liveability, ease and efficiency of construction. Within the recent National Construction Code change, Deemed-To-Satisfy provisions allow mid-rise timber construction for buildings up to 25 metres “effective height” (typically, eight storeys).