existing ground

intended ground

facade dynamic

landscape ground

landscape podium

Mark Baljak's picture

i believe this one is approved

Mark Baljak's picture

On St Kilda Road, LAS Group will spend $48.5 million converting the 1960s Fawkner Centre office building into apartments.

LAS Group director Les Smith said the building, which was occupied by about 70 office tenants, lent itself to residential development because of its layout and location.

“The location is first class and it has wonderful high ceilings,” he said. “We could have put one- and two-bedroom apartments in there and sold the lot to investors in a week, but we’re going for more bespoke, bigger apartments, as that market is under-supplied.”

Approval was granted for 245 two- and three-bedroom apartments to be built in the block. Mr Smith said the group was in “no hurry” to start works, but the intention for now was to develop the project rather than sell off the building with the permit attached.

The project will be the first residential conversion along St Kilda Road in some time, after a string of projects in the late ‘90s and early 2000s, including Royal Domain Plaza.

Riddlz's picture
redden's picture

Work has just started.

image host

Rohan Storey's picture

Nice that this pretty ugly block being cone over, but a bit of history - it was the construction of this in the mid 1970s that prompted the creation of the Shrine Vista control banning anything else from sticking up in the view of the shrine down st kilda road. So jut a pity that my fantasy that this building could have some of the top shaved off isnt going to happen. Mind you now that I think about it, with all the trees and tram infrastructure on Swanston Street these days, you need winter, the trams our of the way and zoom lens to get q view like the 1980s

SYmlb's picture

Thanks for sharing that, Rohan.

I wonder what St Kilda Road would be like today if these controls never took place. I think its been for the best and that is why St Kilda Road is such a lovely part of town. Glad to see that previous governments had the foresight to provide these rules and give us what we have today.

Not to be political but it is examples like these that only make me confident that overshadowing of the Yarra is another rule implemented years ago that has only helped make Melbourne such a great place to live in.

Michael Berquez's picture

Aesthetically speaking it is quite nice, however it is a windswept lifeless road on weekends.

Mark Baljak's picture

Mark Baljak's picture

not as in out a facade as the render suggests

My Real Estate Mate logo

Development & Planning

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 00:00
Recognised as the gateway to the eastern suburbs, Box Hill has come a long way from its initial suburban identity. With a number of major urban redevelopment projects underway and many more set to define its skyline, Box Hill has become the fastest growing city centre outside of the Melbourne...

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 14:30
On Monday 24th of October, the iCities: World Class CBDs series conference kicks off. First held in Kuala Lumpur, this year's conference is to be held at the Langham Hotel on Southbank. iCities is owned and operated by iProperty Group, a network property under the REA Group umbrella brand. Over...

Visual Melbourne

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 17:00
Melbourne’s architectural landscape is a wonderful juxtaposition of modern and Victorian architecture. Although the CBD has been peppered with many skyscrapers, its historical structures have won Melbourne the title of “Australia’s most European city”. Perhaps the most striking example of this juxtaposition between old and new is the Coops Shot...

Transport & Design

Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 07:00
108 Leicester Street is a collection of eight multi-level Fitzroy townhouses that have been designed to respond to the changing face of multi-residential living in Melbourne. The hybrid inner-city dwellings combine developer/builder FOURSQ with Melbourne firm BKK Architects. The design acknowledges the housing typologies of the development's Fitzroy neighbourhood with...

Sustainability & Environment

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 - 00:00
The proposed new Melbourne Conservatorium of Music (MCM) on Sturt Street is shaping to become much more than a cutting edge venue. While the project has been given coverage to date across a range of mediums, very little has been said regarding the project playing an integral part in the...