Advertisement
182 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

MELBOURNE | 600 Collins Street | 54L | 186m | Mixed Use

Ryan Seychell's picture

May as well make a thread for this one:

Site sold recently, AFR article: http://www.afr.com/real-estate/henkell-syndicate-cashes-in-on-collins-20...

Development includes:

- 70 level mixed use tower

- 1100 apartments

- $1 billion

- Planned completion, 2021

Alastair Taylor's picture
Mark Baljak's picture

Looks very Bates Smart, based on one cropped render of course

Ryan Seychell's picture

Has a hint of the original Queensbridge Tower design about it...

Laurence Dragomir's picture

I'd be inclined to say Bates Smart as well.

Nicholas Harrison's picture

Mark Baljak's picture

that would do it

Qantas743's picture

Looks good, although won't it almost certainly be cut down to prevent overshadowing?

Probably end up 217m to stay under OLS.

Qantas743's picture

Why are they even bothering lodging at ~220m-240m?

Andrew's picture

Two Auroras for Melbourne? Sign me up.

Zaha Hadid involved in a different scheme.

Qantas743's picture

Chopped down to around 180m I believe thanks to the new policies.

They just didn't get the application in on time :-(

Plot ratio was looking like 32:1.

It would be limited to 180m because of the overshadowing requirements.

It is a 2400 square metre site so the maximum floorspace can be 57,600.
A 10 level podium covering the entire site = 24,000sqm leaving 33,600sqm of floorspace for the tower above or 46 levels with an average floor area of 730 square metres.

Qantas743's picture

They should hold off until final policies are announced next year.

Massive waste of a site otherwise.

db2's picture

The site would be excellent for an office tower instead of another residential.

Ryan Seychell's picture

Considering 568 is next door to this and already 224m, i'd be happy with 180m to create some height variation. Also, Zaha Hadid design > height.

db2's picture

Ah, I missed that part. New Zaha Hadid 180m design?

That should be very interesting indeed.

We have 249m Premier Tower and 270m Ritz Carlton nearby for height; so yes, a shrink but nicer design will be a good outcome.

Qantas743's picture

Still, if they wait a bit longer it could mean we end up with a Zaha Hadid building AND something slightly higher.

db2's picture

I doubt Wynnie will change his Yarra overshadowing rules in the new rules come next September.

I don't think higher is viable on this site until a change in planning minister, 3 or 7 years from now.

Andrew Mck's picture

I bet the Poo can't wait to cut this one down.

3000's picture

oh look, another height complaint.

Michael Berquez's picture

180m there would sit well I think

Adam Ford's picture

I love the way in which the semiotics of "stellar, supremely gifted architect" are given an equivalence with "geez it'd be awesome if it were 20m taller".

So to be clear, on a design you haven't seen, you're convinced it's going to be a better design or urban outcome or any of the actual metrics people who come here value by virtue of being 20m taller?

It's such a goddamn pity the Parthenon is so short ...

Pages

Development & Planning

Friday, January 20, 2017 - 00:00
A rush of planning applications either side of the festive break are cumulatively seeking to add to South Melbourne's robust development scene, with four major apartment projects lodged. City of Port Phillip will now assess the respective merits of the fresh applications, along with a handful of other noteworthy towers already at planning that when combined, would provide the popular suburb with thousands of new apartments.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 00:00
On 2 January 2017, it was reported that several popular eateries and bars in Footscray had been vandalised, including the perennially successful 8 Bit Burgers on Droop Street, and Up In Smoke on Hopkins Street. 8 Bit had the warm new year's welcome gift of 14 smashed windows and the words “F**k off hipster scum” spray-painted on their entrance.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 17:00
Melbourne’s architectural landscape is a wonderful juxtaposition of modern and Victorian architecture. Although the CBD has been peppered with many skyscrapers, its historical structures have won Melbourne the title of “Australia’s most European city”.

Transport & Design

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 12:00
Timber mid-rise buildings are becoming the preferred choice for many stakeholders in Melbourne, due to a combination of factors, including cost-effectiveness, liveability, ease and efficiency of construction. Within the recent National Construction Code change, Deemed-To-Satisfy provisions allow mid-rise timber construction for buildings up to 25 metres “effective height” (typically, eight storeys).