Last post

Pages

MELBOURNE | Royal Elizabeth | 151 Berkeley Street | 67m | 21L | Residential

Mark Baljak's picture

image store for 690-708 Elizabeth, link to MCC plans on display here

all images © Elenberg Fraser

great design

Alastair Taylor's picture

IIRC the whole length of Elizabeth Street from the roundabout down to the Market was in a pilot planning scheme area ("Plan on a page") and wondering if this will fit within it.

If they've got a larger example in the planning application, I'm guessing this proposal's scale is geared toward slipping right into this framework?

Melbman's picture

Love this proposal.

The treatment of the heritage building and its design in that location are big selling points for this.

Andrew Mck's picture

Nice..

Chris Peska's picture

Loving how this proposal acknowledges and complements the heritage building on the corner... Will play off the VCCC so nicely when complete.

Observe. Design. Build. Live.

Peter Maltezos's picture

Gets two thumbs up from me! yessmileyyes

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Rohan Storey's picture

I quite like the design, but Im not a fan of towers that rise straight up from the street, I prefer a podium that creates a low scale pedestrian friendly environment - not that this one is totally overwhelming. But a podium or lower level differentiation is especially important where a heritage building is involved, in this case the first two or three levels should be treat differently, providing a base a similar height to the bank (doesnt have to match anything exactly).

Also, I dont mind a bit of overlapping, but its sort of extreme in this case, so while from the haymarket the old bank holds its own, from the north side, the tower is really dominant. Dont like treating heritage buildings as objects rather than as part of a street of buildings; the relationship here is rather uncomfortable.

Ryan Seychell's picture

The site:

Nicholas Harrison's picture

PDG must be pretty confident that this one will get approved:

http://www.pdg.com.au/projects/elizabeth-street

Peter Maltezos's picture

^^ Fingers crossed. cool

Imagine this diagonally opposite the Cancer Centre, how good would they look together. yes

thecollectormm.com.au

Ryan Seychell's picture

There's pdg signage up on the site now, instead of city peugeot

Ryan Seychell's picture

Paolo's picture

This has been approved by the council just yesterday.

Nicholas Harrison's picture

An application has already been submitted to add another three levels to this tower.

Mark Baljak's picture

noticed this as well, L17-19. But initial renders show 19 resi levels anyway?

Ryan Seychell's picture

Now known as Royal Elizabeth, will be launched soon

Ryan Seychell's picture

Display suite under construction:

Mark Baljak's picture

and a change of design

Ryan Seychell's picture

Mark Baljak's picture

intersting application to boundary

Mark Baljak's picture

50% sold from database of existing customers, public sales launch in a few weeks

Mark Baljak's picture

construction not too far off, 70% sold and out to tender

Mark Baljak's picture

Peter Maltezos's picture

The demolition guys are not wasting time on this!

Elizabeth Street north is going to be incredible this year.

The amount of cranes that will be popping up over the next few months will be unprecedented for this section of the city!surprise

thecollectormm.com.au

Ryan Seychell's picture

Site cleared:

Rohan Storey's picture

So are they actual; windows on the boundary next to the bank, or is that all blank seeing as its on the boundary now, and an application for something built to boundary also up ?? If real windows, and it was approved, somebody stuffed up by giving it a permit !

Pages

Development & Planning

Friday, January 20, 2017 - 00:00
A rush of planning applications either side of the festive break are cumulatively seeking to add to South Melbourne's robust development scene, with four major apartment projects lodged. City of Port Phillip will now assess the respective merits of the fresh applications, along with a handful of other noteworthy towers already at planning that when combined, would provide the popular suburb with thousands of new apartments.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 00:00
On 2 January 2017, it was reported that several popular eateries and bars in Footscray had been vandalised, including the perennially successful 8 Bit Burgers on Droop Street, and Up In Smoke on Hopkins Street. 8 Bit had the warm new year's welcome gift of 14 smashed windows and the words “F**k off hipster scum” spray-painted on their entrance.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 17:00
Melbourne’s architectural landscape is a wonderful juxtaposition of modern and Victorian architecture. Although the CBD has been peppered with many skyscrapers, its historical structures have won Melbourne the title of “Australia’s most European city”.

Transport & Design

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 12:00
Timber mid-rise buildings are becoming the preferred choice for many stakeholders in Melbourne, due to a combination of factors, including cost-effectiveness, liveability, ease and efficiency of construction. Within the recent National Construction Code change, Deemed-To-Satisfy provisions allow mid-rise timber construction for buildings up to 25 metres “effective height” (typically, eight storeys).