5 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

NDG Auckland Centre - NZ's next tallest | 52L | 209m

Alastair Taylor's picture

Plans for New Zealand's tallest skyscaper, to rise in the heart of Auckland, have been unveiled today.

A $350 million 52-level 209m skyscraper has been announced for a CBD site left vacant since the 1980s when Chase Corporation demolished the Royal International Hotel.

Chinese developer New Development Group is to build the tower, known now as NDG Auckland Centre, on the site of a carpark and bungy jump bounded by Elliot St, Albert St and Victoria St.

Auckland Council has granted resource consent for the giant which will only be dwarfed by the 328m Sky Tower. A building consent is still pending.

Mayor Len Brown announced details of the tower to the Herald this morning, saying it would be a huge transformation for the city.

"Alongside the Sky Tower, this will be a world class development for Auckland that will create hundreds of new jobs, energise the CBD and boost Auckland's GDP, through a more than $350 million investment by NDG," Brown said.

"It's also an example of the major commercial opportunities created by the City Rail Link project. To date the private sector has confirmed more than a billion dollars of new investments along the proposed route, including Precinct Properties' downtown retail and office development ($300m+) the NZ International Convention Centre ($400m+) and Elliott Towers ($350m+)," he said.

Peter Maltezos's picture

Interesting, reminds me of Melbourne's Zen.

The tower of middling ambition

By Chris Barton · On April 16, 2014

The proposed new Elliott St tower fills a hole in the ground, but does it fulfill the needs of the city?

What will we call it? That’s one of many questions to be asked about the newly consented, 52-storey, 209m Elliott St tower. Elegant, awful, ho-hum? One architect I spoke to described it, possibly diplomatically, as “a tough-looking building”.

If it gets built, Elliott Tower will be around 50m taller than its nearest rival, the Vero Centre, and subservient only to the 328m Sky Tower. It would be great if more Aucklanders ventured an opinion about what happens to our city skyline and what will be Auckland’s second-tallest building.

I collect, therefore I am.

Peter Maltezos's picture

Skyscraper a step closer

5:00 AM Tuesday May 27, 2014

Planning work for New Zealand's tallest new skyscraper is going on behind the scenes.

No site works have begun, but work is on to establish the team to build the 52-level NDG Auckland Centre in Auckland's heart.

Ludo Campbell-Reid, Auckland Council's design champion and environmental strategy and policy department manager, said his organisation had been in touch with the team from Chinese-headquartered NDG.

The building will rise on the site between Albert St, Victoria St and Elliott St, and is named after the Shanghai-based New Development Group, headed by Furu Ding.

Auckland mayor Len Brown announced the huge new tower in February, saying resource consent had been granted for the block which would be 119m shorter than the Sky Tower.

Alastair Taylor's picture

"resource consent"? Permit to close of streets for construction vehicles/materials access?

Peter Maltezos's picture

2016 date for start on NDG skyscraper

5:00 AM Tuesday Mar 10, 2015

Construction work on New Zealand's second-tallest building will start next year.

A spokesman for Chinese developer NDG said plans for the 52-level NDG tower in Auckland's centre were in hand.

"Everything is going well and construction will commence according to plan next year," the spokesman said.

The completion date is set as 2020.

My Real Estate Mate logo

Development & Planning

Friday, October 21, 2016 - 00:00
Following its acquisition of Waterfront City late in 2014, current owners Ashe Morgan have moved to further reinvent and reposition the precinct, which includes Harbour Town and the Melbourne Star Observation Wheel as major drawcards. The first stage of overhaul works which were concentrated on Harbour Town are concluding. These...

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 14:30
On Monday 24th of October, the iCities: World Class CBDs series conference kicks off. First held in Kuala Lumpur, this year's conference is to be held at the Langham Hotel on Southbank. iCities is owned and operated by iProperty Group, a network property under the REA Group umbrella brand. Over...

Visual Melbourne

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 17:00
Melbourne’s architectural landscape is a wonderful juxtaposition of modern and Victorian architecture. Although the CBD has been peppered with many skyscrapers, its historical structures have won Melbourne the title of “Australia’s most European city”. Perhaps the most striking example of this juxtaposition between old and new is the Coops Shot...

Transport & Design

Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 07:00
108 Leicester Street is a collection of eight multi-level Fitzroy townhouses that have been designed to respond to the changing face of multi-residential living in Melbourne. The hybrid inner-city dwellings combine developer/builder FOURSQ with Melbourne firm BKK Architects. The design acknowledges the housing typologies of the development's Fitzroy neighbourhood with...

Sustainability & Environment

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 - 00:00
The proposed new Melbourne Conservatorium of Music (MCM) on Sturt Street is shaping to become much more than a cutting edge venue. While the project has been given coverage to date across a range of mediums, very little has been said regarding the project playing an integral part in the...