Advertisement
23 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Saudi Arabia - Kingdom Tower | 200L | 1000m

Martin Mankowski's picture

Thats one huge tower. How long before we see something this large in Melbourne? If he can get PANS-OPS regulations changed, maybe Matthew Guy already has the approval stamp ready? :)

All eyes turn to world's tallest building April 28, 2014 - 11:45AM Toby Johnstone

Construction on Saudi Arabia's Kingdom Tower is set to move above ground this week.

It will be three times the size of the Q1 tower in Queensland, nearly twice the height of America's tallest building and soon it will look down on Dubai's desert monsters.

Construction on the Kingdom Tower in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, is set to move above ground this week with the difficult foundation stage now complete.

Located near the Red Sea, the megastructure will be 1000 metres tall and cost $US1.23 billion ($1.32 billion) to build.

Architect Adrian Smith, who designed the building with Gordon Gill from Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture, told Fairfax Media he was "thrilled" that the Kingdom Tower was under way.

"We are excited for the tower to be completed in around five years,” said the Chicago-based architect, who has made a name for himself as a designer of super-tall towers in the US, China, the United Arab Emirates and South Korea.

Mr Smith designed the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, which is the tallest man-made structure in the world. He was working for Skidmore, Owings & Merrill at the time.

The kilometre-high Kingdom Tower will be at least 173 metres higher than Dubai's monolith.

It will feature a Four Seasons hotel as well as luxury apartments, A-grade office space and the world's highest observatory.

Read more: http://theage.domain.com.au/real-estate-news/all-eyes-turn-to-worlds-tal...

Alastair Taylor's picture

More importantly, I think he'd be ready and raring to put it in his 3D model of Melbourne's CBD!

Alastair Taylor's picture

From News.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Video discussing Kingdom Tower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeWhqx2OEaA

Youtube

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Construction shot from November 2014.

http://www.arabnews.com/news/655191

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Recent photo from SkyscraperCity :

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Photo taken July 16 2015.

By Naki on Skyscraper City.

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Recent photo.

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

17/9/2015

From alsaif2012 on SkyscraperCity.

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

November 2015.

From Hamcl on SkyscraperCity.

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

http://www.traveller.com.au/jeddahs-kingdom-tower-in-saudi-arabia-will-b...

Jeddah's Kingdom Tower in Saudi Arabia will be the world's tallest building

Natalie Paris, Dec 1 2015

The title of world's tallest building looks set to be snatched from Dubai's Burj Khalifa by Saudi Arabia's Jeddah Tower, now that funding for the last phase of its $1.2billion ($A1.66 million) development has been secured.

Once the final, cloud-piercing reaches of the needle are built in 2020, achieving the planned height of 3,280 ft, the tower can claim the record.

The Kingdom Tower, as it is also known, will accommodate the world's highest observatory and be a mixed-use building with a gross floor area of 245,000 square metres. This will include offices, a 200-room Four Seasons Hotel, 121 serviced apartments and 360 residential apartments.  

Work has already begun up to the 26th floor of the tower, located in Obhur, just north of Jeddah, on the Red Sea coast, but the finished building will have 200 floors.

"With this deal, we will reach new, as yet unheard of highs in real estate development," said Mounib Hammoud, chief executive officer of Jeddah Economic Company, the owner and developer of the Jeddah Economic City project, "and will fulfil the company's objective of creating a world-class urban centre that offers an advanced lifestyle, so that Jeddah may have a new iconic landmark that attracts people from all walks of society with comprehensive services and a multitude of uses."

"The overall layout of Jeddah Economic City is designed to accommodate a comprehensive, multipurpose environment, replete with aspects of a modern lifestyle over its 5.3 square kilometres, supported by world-class, state-of-the-art infrastructures."

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

December 2015, now called Jeddah Tower.

From Arzonz on SkyscraperCity.

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Is the Jeddah Tower a ripoff of Frank Lloyd Wright's Illinois Sky-City or was the architect Adrian Smith simply harnessing a concept?

Illinois Sky-City or The Illinois, designed in the 1950s by Frank Lloyd Wright 1730m high (528 levels).

Never built.

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Posted by K.S.A on SkyscraperCity. May 2016.

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Recent photo from Hamcl on SkyscraperCity:

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Recent photo by Dave-in-Toronto at Skyscrapercity.

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

From walrus357 on SkyscraperCity, May 2017.

What they are up to and what still needs to be built:

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

Recent photo from fayzoon on SkyscraperCity:

thecollectormm.com.au

Development & Planning

Monday, December 11, 2017 - 12:00
Brunswick's Anstey Precinct is in for a massive shot of development as Melbourne's Nightingale Housing plans seven separate buildings in a project that will be dubbed Nightingale Village. Already accustomed to urban renewal, the area surrounding Anstey Station is set to benefit from the unprecedented move by Nightingale Housing to develop what amounts to an entire street.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:00
The marriage of old and new can be a difficult process, particularly when the existing structure has intrinsic heritage value. In previous times Fitzroy's 237 Napier Street served as the home of furniture manufacturer C.F. Rojo and Sons. Taking root during 1887, Christobel Rojo oversaw operations though over time the site would become home to furniture manufacturer Thonet.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Friday, August 25, 2017 - 07:00
The former site of John Batman's home, Batman's Hill is entering the final stages of its redevelopment. Collins Square's final tower has begun its skyward ascent, as has Lendlease's Melbourne Quarter Commercial and Residential precinct already. Melbourne Quarter's first stage is at construction and involves a new 12-storey home for consultancy firm Arup along with a skypark.

Transport & Design

Saturday, December 9, 2017 - 00:00
Spring Street has released details of a large shutdown of the Pakenham/Cranbourne and Frankston lines which will allow workers to complete major upgrades to the rail infrastructure. The work is required to allow for the introduction of the new High Capacity Metro Trains (HCMTs) and will involve upgrading power & catenary, signalling and communications equipment in the Dandenong (Pakenham/Cranbourne) corridor.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 12:00
Cbus Property's office development for Medibank at 720 Bourke Street in Docklands recently became the first Australian existing property to receive a WELL Certification, Gold Shell and Core rating. The WELL rating goes beyond sustainable building features with a greater focus on the health and well-being of a building's occupants.