Floodslicer / Bates Smart

Nicholas Harrison's picture

Summary of amended plans that are currently before VCAT:

• Chapel Street Tower:
o Height increased by 3.2 metres (136 metres) and 3 levels (41 levels).
o Change floor plan from a layout with two intersecting ellipses to a four leaf clover layout.
• Toorak Road building:
o Height increased by 3 metres (41 metres) and 3 levels (12 levels).
o Change in use from Office to residential.
• Number of dwellings over the site increased from 211 (58 x 1 bedroom, 109 x 2 bedroom and 44 x 3 bedroom) to 486 (221 x 1 bedroom, 237 x 2 bedroom and 28 x 3 bedroom).
• Increase in number of retail/restaurant tenancies from 14 to 16 and decrease the total area from 4441m² to 3582m²
• New office/retail 462m²
• Increase in number of car parking spaces over the entire site from 496 to 550.
• Increase in number of bicycle spaces from 142 to 170.
• Layout altered so that the development can be carried out in two separate stages.

Current on the left and proposed on the right:

Plans by Bates Smart Architects:

MelbourneGuy's picture

Would I be correct in stating that the 'retransmission tower' on the larger building refers to the retransmission of television channels? I'm asking because I live locally and I rely on the retransmission tower on Como for tv reception. I'm pretty sure this building would block out the signal I get from Como.

Alastair Taylor's picture

yep - moving it to a higher place (if this incarnation is built) makes sense.

That is why it isn't included in the height of the building because it actually is an antenna.

Mark Baljak's picture

old

new

Michael Berquez's picture

Goodness me

Dean's picture

Wow. Great looking building. It's well over 200m with the spire.

Riccardo's picture

Good to have it back love the look on SY skyline. Hope this one gets underway before China bubble bursts.

Andrew's picture

Reminds me a bit of the original Prima proposal from close to a decade ago with the curved balconies between the two 'circles' of the edges.

The top of the low-rise portion could use a bit of extra work. Thanks for the details Mark.

Mark Baljak's picture

193.4 to LMR top, 208.2 to top of spire

Bilby's picture

Why such an enormous carpark entrance (?) on at street level, breaking up the hard edge of the retail strip? Or am I looking at the rear of the building in the render above?

Mark Baljak's picture

I think that's the retail podium figure eight format with a large thoroughfare. car park entrance will be to the north of main tower on Alemia Cres I'd say

Michal's picture

My god I hope this gets up, it's such an attractive building.

Mark Baljak's picture

basically the same features at their 450 St Kilda Road

shadow diagrams 22nd September

Ned5's picture

Would like to see a photo including a review of new towers under construction in this area. Article should relate to light, wind and traffic. Chapel St already clogged with transport. Where are all the new residential cars going to fit between the trams and non-stop emergency vehicles?

Ned5's picture

The photo omits the 2 new towers approved on Melbourne High oval. Everytime someone goes higher the developer applies to be in line with the Avenue and Capitol. It's important for sunlight and traffic to flow freely north of Toorak Rd. It's part of the new Chapel St vision. City of Stonnington are being overruled.

Mark Baljak's picture

best they have

Mark Baljak's picture

Australian
Luxury Capitol no risk, says Kestelman

LK Property Group head Larry Kestelman is no “dodo” when it comes to the property market, though his next project will focus on the ultra luxury end of the market — a type of development that has been near extinction in the Melbourne apartment scene.

Mr Kestelman — who founded internet service provider Dodo and sold out two years ago, making a mean $200 million-plus — is readying to embark on his largest project to date, the Capitol in South Yarra.

The project will take LK Property Group’s pipeline of apartments either under construction, in the marketing phase or in advanced planning including the Capitol, to $1 billion.

The development will carry more than 600 apartments and have a significant 4500sq m ground floor retail component.

Mr Kestelman said that once the sale process was complete it would be likely that the building would hold about 300 residences as wealthy buyers looked to amalgamate apartments to design their ideal home.

The Capitol development on the corner of Toorak Road and Chapel Street and designed by Bates Smart, will boast a con­cierge, underground car-wash, valet parking, room service from the restaurant in the building, an on-site day spa and a gymnasium.

“This is going to be an absolutely world-class building. It will be six-star living,” Mr Kestelman said. “There has not been a premium apartment development in Melbourne for a long, long time.”

Qantas743's picture

So they seem pretty confident of approval despite all the signs pointing against it?

Haven't seen any signs indicating that the planning minister will refuse this.

Andrew's picture

Government caretaker mode kicks in on Cup Day. Expect another Super Tuesday (or some other day) before the long weekend.

Qantas743's picture

Didn't realize it was up to the minister. Assumed it would be refused at council then taken to VCAT where approval would be 50/50.

But on another note, I can't see this getting approved in such a sensitive and marginal seat this close to an election. Far too risky.

The minister had no problem calling in 661 Chapel Street so i guess the developers would be hoping for the same outcome here.

Pages

Development & Planning

Thursday, December 8, 2016 - 00:00
With the release of Infrastructure Victoria’s first ever 30-year infrastructure strategy, the state is set to discuss the draft’s proposed developments and projects before the review of the final strategy in parliament in late 2016. The blueprint aims to address areas in need of improvement including congestion and housing.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:00
The New Urban Agenda was officially adopted in Quito, Ecuador in the last plenary of the Habitat III conference. The agenda provides a 20-year “roadmap” to guide sustainable urban development globally. The text of the New Urban Agenda itself was agreed well before Habitat III at the UN General Assembly in September, during an extraordinary informal negotiation session that lasted for more than 30 hours.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 17:00
Melbourne’s architectural landscape is a wonderful juxtaposition of modern and Victorian architecture. Although the CBD has been peppered with many skyscrapers, its historical structures have won Melbourne the title of “Australia’s most European city”.

Transport & Design

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 08:30
The recent approval of Sterling Global 's mixed-use tower at 383 La Trobe Street adds to the influx of towers with international influence leaving their mark not only on Melbourne's skyline, but the city's streetscapes. The $700 million mixed-use tower, a collaboration between French design architect Ateliers Jean Nouvel and local Australian executive architect Architectus, has been designed with people at its core.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 12:00
Timber mid-rise buildings are becoming the preferred choice for many stakeholders in Melbourne, due to a combination of factors, including cost-effectiveness, liveability, ease and efficiency of construction. Within the recent National Construction Code change, Deemed-To-Satisfy provisions allow mid-rise timber construction for buildings up to 25 metres “effective height” (typically, eight storeys).