site

heights

finishes

renders

shadow

cross-section

Peter Maltezos's picture

I like it! yes

6 levels of underground carparking, unheard of in Southbank!

It seems Coode Island Silt is not a problem here, unusual. surprise

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Mark Baljak's picture

adjusting forum name, screwed it up

Andrew's picture

Might be getting some more news about this soon.

Stephen Mayne @MayneReport · 13h

Another planning portfolio meet today. Yesterday crs were briefed on excessive Lloyd Williams tower at 250 Sturt St near Arts Precinct.

Stephen Mayne @MayneReport · 13h

Haven't seen Hudson Conway tower proposed for 250 Sturt St (40m zone) pop up on Minister's applications register yet http://dsewebapps.dse.vic.gov.au/dse/planning/phbppat.nsf/InternetAppLis...

Melbourne Muse's picture

That's a handsome looking tower - a VAST improvement on many of its neighbours.

Marvelous Mega-Melbourne

Mark Baljak's picture

Southbank tower with borrowed-light bedrooms rejected by minister

A twisting 123-metre tower planned for Southbank has been rejected by Victoria's Planning Minister Richard Wynne, amid concerns many of the building's 228 apartments would have be left without adequate sunlight.

The application for 250 Sturt Street has been accused of blatantly ignoring the precinct's recommended height of 40 metres and attempting to infringe on the development rights of its neighbours.

"To put it bluntly, this is a shocker," Melbourne city councillor Ken Ong said last year.

This week the $80-million project became only the second central-city application to be rejected by Victoria's new planning minister. He has approved another 15 large buildings worth more than $3 billion.

The design of the one and two-bedroom homes in the 40-storey building one of the big concerns of the minister's urban design experts, who recommended the permit be rejected outright.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/southbank-tower-with-borrowedlight-bed...

Nicholas Harrison's picture

It would be really nice if the planning department actually updated their planning register on a timely manner. Any local council would get told off by the planning department if they kept their planning register in the condition that the planning department does.

Also I hope that Wynn will follow the example set by Matthew Guy and actually post planning officer reports on line. No reports have been posted on the website for the last few developments he has decided.

I don't think even Matthew Guy would have approved this one. Looked great on the outside but the apartment layouts were crap and the setbacks were all wrong for a site that is not even on a corner. If the tower was setback 2 metres further from the boundaries they might have got away with the height as the reduced depth of the building would have allowed for better apartment layouts.

Developers are really doing themselves no favors when they propose stuff like this and then say 'well this other tower was approved with a crap layout five years ago so why can't we do the same?'.

They are just making it more likely that government will lose faith in the performance based planning controls and introduce more mandatory height and apartment size controls.

MelbourneGuy's picture

I don't know how "Royal Como' got through either. Some of the apartments there are absolutely atrocious, with poor ventilation and lack of natural light. This was even apparent in some of the $1m+ apartments on offer. The agent there even had the gall to say to me that RC is even more up market than the Capitol Bakery development. Hyperbole knows no bounds with some of these land rats.

Riddlz's picture

I see why this was knocked back due to the lack of setbacks but what is wrong with the apartment layouts?

I don't see any problem with saddle-back bedrooms, it's a bedroom isn't it? Unless you're sitting in it 24/7 you're only using it when it's dark anyways.

Or is it more the case that it's valuable floor space being used as nothing but a light corridor?

They do look longer than the usual corridors I've seen for that type of bedroom.

DesMond's picture

Having lived in apartments with 'regular' as well as 'saddle-back' bedrooms, I prefer the supposedly poorer 'saddle-back' style. As you say, my bedroom is not used 24/7 and is primarily for sleeping etc... in which case, the slightly lower light level is desirable. The light corridor is also useful storage space.

3000's picture

It was also knocked back for poor setbacks, literally right to the boundary.

Michael Berquez's picture

And who are WE or anybody else to say that somebody else shouldn't buy a particular apartment because of it's "layout". If someone wants to buy it....let them.

Bilby's picture

If it were legal under the BCA, plenty of folks would happily buy apartments with 1.85m ceilings, too, Michael. Should they be allowed to? Nope - that's just poor amenity for human beings.

Laurence Dragomir's picture

But it's not so it's a moot point.

Riddlz's picture

"Plenty of Folks"? No sane, well-informed purchaser would ever buy an apartment with such a low ceiling.

This one is going to VCAT

And it would still be a CHOICE made by the individual...so more power to them.

Riddlz's picture

https://planning-permits.delwp.vic.gov.au/greenlightExt/public/main.aspx...

Responsible Authority Decision: Permit
Responsible Authority Decision Date: 11/03/2016

Mark Baljak's picture

anyone able to find a VCAT ruling for this one?

Mark Baljak's picture

well not quite the architectural result

approved plans for sale

Mark Baljak's picture

Back to planning

28/11/2016
248-250 Sturt Street SOUTHBANK VIC 3006 (Zone DDO1-A3)
Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure (DTPLI).
Demolition of the existing building and construction of a multi-storey building comprising dwellings and alteration of access to a road

SYmlb's picture

^ What a poor result considering the original proposal. May as well just give it to Central Equity and name it Bland Central.

Melbourne_Fragments's picture

looks far more to scale and architectural interesting than the bland "ohhh but its got a little twist so its genious' all glass original proposal

3000's picture

Original proposal was a stumpy mess.

And this is an even stumpier mess

Pages

Development & Planning

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 12:00
The swirl of development activity in Footscray has found another gear as new projects are submitted for approval, or are on the verge of beginning construction. Two separate planning applications have been advertised by Maribyrnong City Council; their subsequent addition to the Urban Melbourne Project Database has seen the overall number of apartment developments within Footscray in development swell to 40.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:00
The marriage of old and new can be a difficult process, particularly when the existing structure has intrinsic heritage value. In previous times Fitzroy's 237 Napier Street served as the home of furniture manufacturer C.F. Rojo and Sons. Taking root during 1887, Christobel Rojo oversaw operations though over time the site would become home to furniture manufacturer Thonet.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Friday, August 25, 2017 - 07:00
The former site of John Batman's home, Batman's Hill is entering the final stages of its redevelopment. Collins Square's final tower has begun its skyward ascent, as has Lendlease's Melbourne Quarter Commercial and Residential precinct already. Melbourne Quarter's first stage is at construction and involves a new 12-storey home for consultancy firm Arup along with a skypark.

Transport & Design

Friday, December 15, 2017 - 11:00
Infrastructure Victoria unveiled a new round of research into its larger programme of work dealing with managing transport demand. The authority contracted Arup and KPMG to produce the Melbourne Activity Based Model (MABM) and while it is new, it is considered fit for purpose in the strategic context.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 12:00
Cbus Property's office development for Medibank at 720 Bourke Street in Docklands recently became the first Australian existing property to receive a WELL Certification, Gold Shell and Core rating. The WELL rating goes beyond sustainable building features with a greater focus on the health and well-being of a building's occupants.