Advertisement
25 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

SOUTHBANK | 334-344 City Road | 190m | 57L | Residential/Hotel

Andrew's picture

Planning application.

Proposal for 82 level Residential/Hotel building @ 334-344 City Road Southbank, directly opposite the West Gate Freeway.
Location of site in google streetview, currently a packbackers.

270m | 82L
Hayball Architects
578 Apartments
198 Room hotel
154 Cars spaces

A company connected to BRW rich lister Giuseppe “Joe” Catalfamo who owns Tasman Market Fresh Meats, a discount butcher employing 420 people across Victoria, has submitted plans to the state government for the high-rise.

The concrete and metal clad elliptical building at 334 City Road will dominate its corner location between the freeway and Clarendon Street behind the Melbourne Convention Centre.

The $200 million structure will contain 578 apartments, the majority two- or three-bedroom units. It will also house a 198-room hotel, 154 car spaces and 119 square metres of retail space on the ground floor.
Advertisement

The new 81-storey building in City Road has been designed by Hayball architects.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/southbank-skyscraper-to-soar-over-city-20...

Ryan Seychell's picture

I think I like it?

Mark Baljak's picture

hrrm, would love to know if that's metal or precast externally?

Ryan Seychell's picture

Probably pre-cast. If that was steel, would look pretty awesome though. Also, another hotel!? How many proposed are we up to now lol? Be interesting to see how many actually do get up.

Laurence Dragomir's picture

I'm somewhat indifferent to it.

Nicholas Harrison's picture

Looks like concrete with metal highlights similar to this building, also designed by Hayball:

Peter Maltezos's picture

I like the the Swanston Street building above, a true brutalist gem amongst a lot of very ordinary buildings in Carlton.

I have a feeling that the Southbank building will be just as good! smiley

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Mark Baljak's picture

ground

floorplate

tower

facade

renders

Peter Maltezos's picture

^^ Nice, I like it! yessmileyyes

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

elev8's picture

Wow! I think this is a fabulous design. Especially like the tear-drop shape of the tower. The articulated facade modules look very appealing. If you are apply a predominantly precast concrete facade solution this is the way to do it. I think it continues a very Melbourne theme at the moment with Elenberg Frasers articulated glass treatments complimenting this design approach nicely. Well done Hayball.

Qantas743's picture

Absolutely love it! Build it now!

Just Me's picture

Has this project started yet? The curved canopy at the front is awesome...

Melbman's picture

I didn't like this one at first but it has grown on me. The canopy at the bottom is an impressive feature.

Andrew's picture

The larger renders and floorplans actually show us some details, I was skeptical based on the render in the original post, but I think I love this one.

Mark Baljak's picture

mcc have objected

Melbourne Muse's picture

Well knock me over with a feather Mark, and I weigh 135 kegs! *insert roll eyes*

Marvelous Mega-Melbourne

Riddlz's picture

Down to 190m and 58 floors as well

Laurence Dragomir's picture

And still not supported by CoM.

Adrian's picture

Such a shame the MCC now appearing to be scaring developers into downsizing their plans before the planning minister even makes a decision (unless the developers are getting wind from ministry that it won't be approved for the same reasons). Who says they don't have any power in planning decisions ?

First Savoy now this - two bold and exciting designs cut down while Central Equity continue to get away with poisoning our city (Australis being latest example).

Strike 1 & 2 of the new government order ..

Ryan Seychell's picture

Southbank skyscrapers loom as early test on planning for Labor
February 2, 2015 - 6:34PM
Clay Lucas

Two soaring skyscrapers proposed for Southbank will mark the first test of the Andrews government's pledge to end what it labelled in opposition the "forests of towers" approved by its predecessors.

The two towers will go before Melbourne City Council on Tuesday, and its officers have objected to both proposals – which will ultimately be decided on by the Planning Minister.

The council's planning and finance chairs both want the more contentious of the towers in City Road, which would be 57 storeys high, knocked back.

This tower would overlook the West Gate Freeway, and would see the existing Eve nightclub and Urban Central backpackers demolished. The skyscraper would have 432 apartments – all but 10 of them one and two-bedroom units.

Read More: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/southbank-skyscrapers-loom-as-early-te...

Mark Baljak's picture

see what comes of this, still over 25,000sqm

12/11/2015
TPM-2014-24/A
Proposed demolition, construction and use of land as a hotel (previously lodged as PA-2014-111)

3000's picture

Where do all these places they demolish end up? It seems pubs, nightlife and other places that make Melbourne usable are vanishing.

Carlo Zeccola's picture

What's the latest on this development?

Mark Baljak's picture

See if we can't get details on this and a few others soon enough

Riddlz's picture

Development & Planning

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 12:00
The swirl of development activity in Footscray has found another gear as new projects are submitted for approval, or are on the verge of beginning construction. Two separate planning applications have been advertised by Maribyrnong City Council; their subsequent addition to the Urban Melbourne Project Database has seen the overall number of apartment developments within Footscray in development swell to 40.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:00
The marriage of old and new can be a difficult process, particularly when the existing structure has intrinsic heritage value. In previous times Fitzroy's 237 Napier Street served as the home of furniture manufacturer C.F. Rojo and Sons. Taking root during 1887, Christobel Rojo oversaw operations though over time the site would become home to furniture manufacturer Thonet.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Friday, August 25, 2017 - 07:00
The former site of John Batman's home, Batman's Hill is entering the final stages of its redevelopment. Collins Square's final tower has begun its skyward ascent, as has Lendlease's Melbourne Quarter Commercial and Residential precinct already. Melbourne Quarter's first stage is at construction and involves a new 12-storey home for consultancy firm Arup along with a skypark.

Transport & Design

Friday, December 15, 2017 - 11:00
Infrastructure Victoria unveiled a new round of research into its larger programme of work dealing with managing transport demand. The authority contracted Arup and KPMG to produce the Melbourne Activity Based Model (MABM) and while it is new, it is considered fit for purpose in the strategic context.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 12:00
Cbus Property's office development for Medibank at 720 Bourke Street in Docklands recently became the first Australian existing property to receive a WELL Certification, Gold Shell and Core rating. The WELL rating goes beyond sustainable building features with a greater focus on the health and well-being of a building's occupants.