Advertisement
350 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

SOUTHBANK | Australia 108 | 70 Southbank Blvd | 319m | Mixed Use

Melburn21's picture
Peter Maltezos's picture

An application for a planning permit and planning scheme amendment has been submitted.

Another step closer to reality for this beast.

It will be built using the Unitised system which accelerates onsite and offsite construction programs by up to 50%. Check out the website:

http://www.hickory.com.au/unitised-building

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Edward Skira's picture

The protruding portion near the top looks a tad ungainly.

Toronto Construction and Development

Peter Maltezos's picture

At first I felt the same, but it does grow on you.

So many people are talking about this feature, one might say it's what makes it stand out from the rest. cool

thecollectormm.com.au

Peter Maltezos's picture

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/lord-mayor-robert-doyle-casts-doubt-on-titanic-tower-he-says-could-put-shrine-of-remembrance-in-shadows/story-e6frf7kx-1226587189403

From The Herald Sun

Lord Mayor Robert Doyle casts doubt on titanic tower he says could put Shrine of Remembrance in shadows

A 1.17km shadow occurs at 3pm on the winter solstice and just before 4pm on Anzac Day, and on Remembrance Day it occurs just before 5:30pm.

Architects Fender Katsalidis, who designed the nearby Eureka Tower, are behind the Australia 108 project, which would be the world's 18th tallest building at 70 Southbank Boulevard.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why is Doyle carrying on like this?

I can’t believe I actually voted for him in the last council elections (he was the best from a bad bunch).

One can see from the diagram above that the shadow doesn’t actuall touch the Shrine and it is only the masts that get close.

Anyone that photographs buildings a lot like I do realizes that shadows from thin masts, etc., move very quickly (in minutes), they barely even register.

Aesthetically speaking, great height gives a building elegance and the wow factor.

A short fat building usually does the opposite, so I ask you, how can a building south of the Yarra in Southbank ever be too tall? wink

thecollectormm.com.au

Laurence Dragomir's picture

Alastair Taylor's picture

so... I take it this has made it into your city-wide render? ;)

Ya.

Chris Peska's picture

Mr Dragomir.... I like how you have "squashed" Queensbridge Tower right into the western facade of Freshwater One :) Hopefully no Southbank residents see that render and take it as gospel. P.S. Renders look great! Good Job!

Observe. Design. Build. Live.

Peter Maltezos's picture

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/planning-minister-matthew-guy-approves-australia-108-project-for-southbank/story-e6frf7kx-1226599348546

From The Herald Sun

Planning Minister Matthew Guy approves Australia 108 project for Southbank

A CONTROVERSIAL plan to build the Southern Hemisphere’s tallest tower has been approved for Southbank.

Planning Minister Matthew Guy has given the green light to the $600 million Australia 108 project, which will feature 664 apartments and a luxury hotel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The article goes on to say that the project will create 300 construction and hospitality jobs and could START THIS YEAR!yes

thecollectormm.com.au

Christoph Hewett's picture

What's done is done, but the travesty of this building (and what it represents) is profound. Despite planning efforts, Southbank will now be the home of supertalls. I just hope that this means that they can be kept away form higher ground - though I doubt that if this Planning Minister stays much longer.

Chris Peska's picture

The question is really... would you prefer a 1000 people living on an area of 2,000 sqm near good services and good amenity potentially having a smaller impact on our carbon foot print or a 1000 people living on an area of 2,000,000 sqm near not so good services and not so good amenity having quite a large impact on our carbon foot print?

Observe. Design. Build. Live.

Dang. Just noticed Prima's also somehow shifted to the middle of Power St. I'll fix and repost.

Andrew Mck's picture

Fantastic news that its been approved so promptly..

Peter Maltezos's picture

One building planned to be built over 300m does not make Southbank the home of supertalls, wish it was the case actually.

The definition of a supertall is a building over 300m tall.

I see a well designed cutting-edge landmark for Melbourne here, so can you please explain to us what makes this building a travesty?

Melbourne's motto: Vires Acquirit Eundo (we gather strength as we go) comes to mind when I see the renderings of this structure. I feel it represents Melbourne's spirit very well, so tell us, what does it represent to you?

We are so lucky to have architects such as Nonda Katsalidis and Karl Fender based here in Melbourne contributing and enhancing design city Melbourneyes

thecollectormm.com.au

Dangerous Beans's picture

Christoph, whilst I have a bit of a love hate relationship with the design of this building I also can't see how the approval of it represents a travesty. I'm glad that in parts of southbank we are getting more variation in the skyline than we would have done if the councils mediocre scheme had to be followed to the letter.
There are problems in southbank, tall buildings in and of themselves are not one of them as far as I can see. Care to explain further?

Dean's picture

^^ I agree. I fail to see how this is a travesty. This is the right location for such buildings.

I've spoken with the Media and Communications manager for Australia 108 and we've now got permission to add more renders and blurb to the DB entry, now re-published: http://urbanmelbourne.info/projects/southbank/australia-108-70-southbank...

Nicholas Harrison's picture

You can find the flight paths for Essendon airport at the end of the airport masterplan here:

http://www.essendonairport.com.au/imagebank/docs/Essendon%20Airport%20Masterplan%20OCT%2008.pdf

Ryan Seychell's picture

Nothing really new, but another article nonetheless:

Katsalidis’ Prefabricated Idea For Australia 108

Nonda Katsalidis was born in Athens in 1951 and migrated to Melbourne, Australia, at the age of five. He studied architecture at the University of Melbourne and graduated in 1976. Katsalidis is mainly known for being the architect of Melbourne’s tallest building, Eureka Tower.

Katsalidis’ architecture firm, Fender Katsalidis Architects (FKA) in partnership with Karl Fender, gained approval in March to construct Australia 108, a super-tall skyscraper located in the Southbank precinct of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

Read more: http://au.greekreporter.com/2013/04/29/katsalidis-prefabricated-idea-for...

Ryan Seychell's picture
MelbourneGuy's picture

Nice bit of reading there. Thanks RS.

Nicholas Harrison's picture

The old adage that "no news is good news" usually does not apply to property development.

Mark Baljak's picture

indeed

Southern hemisphere's tallest building shelved
July 6, 2013

Ambitious plans to build the southern hemisphere's tallest skyscraper in Southbank have been abandoned.

Fender Katsalidis Architects, the consortium behind the landmark Australia 108 building earmarked for 70 Southbank Boulevard, has confirmed it is redesigning plans for the site after a ''hybrid of requirements'' - from bodies such as VicRoads and the Civil Aviation Safety Authority - rendered the proposal ''impossible''.

Planning Minister Matthew Guy approved the 108-level proposal in March after a short consultation period and despite objections it would create traffic congestion and cast shadows over the Shrine of Remembrance. It was also claimed the building would obstruct a flight path.
Town of Mallacoota.

Central Mallacoota will soon have an upgraded commercial and retail premises. Photo: Michael Rayner

Its scale was also rejected by Melbourne City Council.
Advertisement

New plans for the 2642 sq m site are expected to result in a relatively more modest sub-100-level tower or two 50-plus level buildings, but this could not be confirmed.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/business/property/southern-hemispheres-tallest-...

Ryan Seychell's picture

Website's been updated to say new designs are coming soon - it was first announced around this time last year, mid November I think, might be revealed next week? Just a guess, probably not right lol.
Interested in why it says designs also rather than just simply new design or something similar considering the idea that it might be redesigned into 2 buildings was floated about a few months ago. See what happens I guess, hopefully still taller than Eureka!

Pages

Development & Planning

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 - 06:00
Vicinity Centres, operator of The Glen, gained a decisive win last week with City of Monash deciding to issue a Notice of Decision that will allow the operator to considerably boost the number of apartments it has planned as part of its wide-ranging redevelopment of the Glen Waverley shopping complex.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:00
The New Urban Agenda was officially adopted in Quito, Ecuador in the last plenary of the Habitat III conference. The agenda provides a 20-year “roadmap” to guide sustainable urban development globally. The text of the New Urban Agenda itself was agreed well before Habitat III at the UN General Assembly in September, during an extraordinary informal negotiation session that lasted for more than 30 hours.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 17:00
Melbourne’s architectural landscape is a wonderful juxtaposition of modern and Victorian architecture. Although the CBD has been peppered with many skyscrapers, its historical structures have won Melbourne the title of “Australia’s most European city”.

Transport & Design

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 08:30
The recent approval of Sterling Global 's mixed-use tower at 383 La Trobe Street adds to the influx of towers with international influence leaving their mark not only on Melbourne's skyline, but the city's streetscapes. The $700 million mixed-use tower, a collaboration between French design architect Ateliers Jean Nouvel and local Australian executive architect Architectus, has been designed with people at its core.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 12:00
Timber mid-rise buildings are becoming the preferred choice for many stakeholders in Melbourne, due to a combination of factors, including cost-effectiveness, liveability, ease and efficiency of construction. Within the recent National Construction Code change, Deemed-To-Satisfy provisions allow mid-rise timber construction for buildings up to 25 metres “effective height” (typically, eight storeys).