Advertisement
80 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

SOUTHBANK | Southbank Central | 1-11 Balston Street | 48L | 154m | Residential

Ryan Seychell's picture

I think Nick mentioned somewhere recently that this was now approved and at pre-launch sales. Figured it would be time to make a thread.

Michael Berquez's picture

Oh dear.....I'm already scared

3000's picture

Here we go...

Ryan Seychell's picture

Model:

MelbourneGuy's picture

CE don't really try hard to create anything of architectural worth imo. I can see this building being torn down in thirty years.

Peter Maltezos's picture

I'm afraid we are stuck with these buildings for a very long time.

One has to purchase each individual strata titled apartment to own the building to be able to demolish it and then find a way to make a profit after building something else on the site as well.

Good luck to anyone who takes that on.laugh

I collect, therefore I am.
thecollectormm.com.au

Ryan Seychell's picture

All their names are the same, this one is being marketed as "Southbank Central".

http://www.southbankcentral.com.au/

3000's picture

What the hell is this

Mark Baljak's picture

must have nuked the surrounding towers out of shot...

Qantas743's picture

I only count 45 levels...

Mark Baljak's picture

I have 48 there

Ryan Seychell's picture

Me too

Dean's picture

LOL 3 levels must be hidden under all your negativity.

Nicholas Harrison's picture

larger verison:

I think it is OK, no work of art, but it is very glassy and better than many other CE towers.

Nicholas Harrison's picture

Crz's picture

It looks okay but you can tell its finishing will be very cheap

Mark Baljak's picture

Construction tender open

Mark Baljak's picture

up and running

Ryan Seychell's picture

Ryan Seychell's picture

Was just looking at the original design Central Equity proposed for this site, think the final version looks much better.

3000's picture

I'm a bit confused as to why they kept the facade on this one.

Adam Ford's picture

Err... because it has a Heritage Overlay on it and demolishing it would be, like ... illegal.
See that picture above? See that contiguous herirtage streetscape of the nature Southbank is screaming for?
Any more dots need drawing ?

Dean's picture

You dont have to be such a prick about it.

3000's picture

Thank you for answering my question, Adam. I'm sure you thought out a clear, concise and polite response....then deleted it for this trash.

Bilby's picture

The tone frustration is entirely understandable. The fact that many posters on this site have consistently failed to recognise the self-evident crisis in heritage protection in Melbourne over the past 5 years contributes to the atmosphere of desperation around this issue. The reason that the heritage defenders are out and passionate about their work right now has nothing to do with being anti-development, and everything to do with protecting what heritage amenity we have left in this city for the hundreds of thousands of additional new residents that will call it home in the next decade. Here we have a classic early 20th century warehouse facade in an area that was once dominated by classic industrial buildings - a suburb that now has just a few key examples remaining. Southbank is notoriously soulless and the council is in a panic to redress the damage already done. It is entirely obvious why this building (not just the facade) should have been kept - retaining the facade is better than nothing, but it won't assist the residents of Southbank in terms of the kind of character interiors needed at street level that places like Brunswick, Fitzroy, Collingwood, Prahran and Richmond have in spades. It will provide an interesting element in the streets cape and some modicum of connectedness with the district's past, though.

3000's picture

I think Adam was just being a jerk because he could.
I have never sought to downplay heritage, Bilby. I may not spend the majority of my posts harping on about x and z loss but I think heritage has always been important. It's clear you care a lot and I respect that.
This baffling trend of facadism is a freaking insult to Melbourne it's just allowing developers to get away with the bare-minimum in terms of design. You are 100% correct when you both say SB is soulless, it is a train wreck in terms of what builders like CE have done to it.
I'm not here to dispute the importance of heritage or good design because they both should be a given imo. Like I said, Adam was just being a jerk.

Pages

Development & Planning

Monday, May 22, 2017 - 12:00
Another week and another student accommodation tower enters the Urban Melbourne Project Database. Following on from a string of fresh projects seeking their place in the expanding sector, GSA Australia's intentions for a Queensberry Street plot are the latest to be unveiled.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Friday, May 19, 2017 - 00:00
Rachel Ong , Curtin University ; Christopher Phelps , Curtin University ; Gavin Wood , RMIT University , and Steven Rowley , Curtin University Australia’s capital cities are getting more and more units, that are largely concentrated and come with a hefty price tag, a new report shows .

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 07:00
Once again Melbourne has turned it on for the spectacular cultural juggernaut that is White Night. A crowd of around 600,000 took part in the all night festival of projections, performances, artworks and installations. Stealing the show again this year was the extraordinary projections upon the Royal Exhibition Building.

Transport & Design

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 12:00
Comment Sub-optimal outcomes, perceived or otherwise, were always going to be included in the wider level crossing removal project, and Buckley Street in Essendon just so happens to be one of them. In 2015, Urban Melbourne took a look at the Moonee Valley-led council proposal to remove the level crossing at Buckley Street and apply a new structure plan to Essendon.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 13:00
Victoria Walks, a walking promotion charity supported by VicHeath, is leading a crowdsourcing initiative that is supported by the State Government and 14 councils. The campaign aims to collect and analyse opinions on walking right across the Melbourne metropolitan area. The authorities are asking people to indicate their walking safety concerns through an interactive online map on CrowdSpot's platform.