Advertisement
52 posts in this thread / 0 new
Last post

Pages

SOUTHBANK | Southbank Place | 54-68 Kavanagh Street | 52L | 166m | Residential

Ryan Seychell's picture

Going up: Another skyscraper for super-dense Southbank block

November 24, 2015 - 8:39PM

Melbourne's most densely populated suburb, Southbank, is set to become even more crowded, with a 597 apartment tower approved for the booming inner-city area.

Planning Minister Richard Wynne has signed off on Central Equity's 159-metre, 52-storey skyscraper, on the corner of Kavanagh and Power streets.

The future tower is on a block that will become one of the city's most populated, with another seven high-rises of more than 62 metres built or approved in the immediate vicinity, including the mammoth Australia 108 skyscraper.

Read More: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/going-up-another-skyscraper-for-superd...

Ryan Seychell's picture

Melbourne Muse's picture

Great!! Just what the world needs, another even larger CE shitbox.

Marvelous Mega-Melbourne

3000's picture

Terrible

db2's picture

Absolute rubbish as per usual by CE.

The only thing it will be good for is a bit densification, hopefully it blends into the background with A108, Crown, Eureka and Prima catching the eye instead.

Note, if you visit Toronto and Vancouver you'll see a similar style of rubbish as CE. Thankfully, our best stuff is usually better than their best stuff.

MelbourneGuy's picture

I'm just amazed that CE never try to put up anything of true worth. I guess they're just happy producing the generic rubbish they always have. On a side note, their architect must have it real easy as his/her creativity has never been tested.

Ryan Seychell's picture

Will have 6 retail tenancies on ground level apparently

Nicholas Harrison's picture

This tower is actually 165.91m above ground.

3000's picture

Adding to the Southbank shit

Adam Ford's picture

The chorus of "CE only ever erect crap" voices is forgetting about this:
https://urban.melbourne/planning/2015/10/07/central-equity-breaks-mould-...

The question then becomes how they decide which projects to use architects on, and which they let the receptionist design. Go figure.

BUT with this, CE have now basically ruined the ENTIRE southern aspect of the whole skyline more or less in perpetuity. Well done, you. There must be some kind of planning/development award for achievements of this scope, majesty and grandeur?

Qantas743's picture

My biggest fear is that Wynne will say to himself: "Right, well I've been forced to approved one tower so I better reject another big one [probably something like 640 Bourke] to balance it out and show that I'm 'protecting Melbourne's livability'!"

Melbman's picture

I see that they look to be adding a green wall to this one too.

Apparently its part of the City of Melbourne's agenda so it makes sense. CE must have said let's add a green wall, no matter how bad the building design is and it must get the stamp of approval then :)

Mark Baljak's picture

Their proposed project along City Road next to Banque opposite Platinum goes OK. Doig Architecture design

But yes this one has little by way of design intrigue

Ryan Seychell's picture

This one is known as Southbank Place. Website up and running now: http://southbankplace.com.au/

The design has changed somewhat. It's still around 51 levels but now looks more like two towers now connected together. The blue section is now the taller part also now with the other section rising around 40 levels.

Ryan Seychell's picture

db2's picture

Indeed, that is an improvement.

Still CE, so it will be boxy crap. But a bit less rubbish now.

Ryan Seychell's picture

3000's picture

What a band, unresponsive podium. Reminds me of Sydney or something I'd see is Brisbane.

SYmlb's picture

They have that trademark feel and look to a lot of their towers, that's for sure. The base of the tower is significantly better than most of their designs but the facade looks very average. But really at 160m will anyone even notice it? At least it's not on Collins St or somewhere prominent like Vision or 560 Flinders.

3000's picture

True, if they insist on building this crap I'd prefer it here than the Hoddle.

Qantas743's picture

Approves this (against CoM's recommendation) but rejects 447 Collins.

Gimme a break...

Mick's picture

More CE slums of the future

Riddlz's picture

Really not so bad at all:

Qantas743's picture

Good to see they're still advertising in China considering the Chinese can't get their money out of the country and the banks here have stopped lending to them!

Pages

Development & Planning

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 12:00
The swirl of development activity in Footscray has found another gear as new projects are submitted for approval, or are on the verge of beginning construction. Two separate planning applications have been advertised by Maribyrnong City Council; their subsequent addition to the Urban Melbourne Project Database has seen the overall number of apartment developments within Footscray in development swell to 40.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:00
The marriage of old and new can be a difficult process, particularly when the existing structure has intrinsic heritage value. In previous times Fitzroy's 237 Napier Street served as the home of furniture manufacturer C.F. Rojo and Sons. Taking root during 1887, Christobel Rojo oversaw operations though over time the site would become home to furniture manufacturer Thonet.

Advertisement

Visual Melbourne

Friday, August 25, 2017 - 07:00
The former site of John Batman's home, Batman's Hill is entering the final stages of its redevelopment. Collins Square's final tower has begun its skyward ascent, as has Lendlease's Melbourne Quarter Commercial and Residential precinct already. Melbourne Quarter's first stage is at construction and involves a new 12-storey home for consultancy firm Arup along with a skypark.

Transport & Design

Friday, December 15, 2017 - 11:00
Infrastructure Victoria unveiled a new round of research into its larger programme of work dealing with managing transport demand. The authority contracted Arup and KPMG to produce the Melbourne Activity Based Model (MABM) and while it is new, it is considered fit for purpose in the strategic context.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 12:00
Cbus Property's office development for Medibank at 720 Bourke Street in Docklands recently became the first Australian existing property to receive a WELL Certification, Gold Shell and Core rating. The WELL rating goes beyond sustainable building features with a greater focus on the health and well-being of a building's occupants.