Industry Hub

Urban Melbourne Industry Hub

Filter by:

Select any filter and click on Apply to see results

Industry News

Buyer sentiment: What the market is telling us

2015 has kicked off with an abundance of off the plan apartment enquiry on Apartment Register , across Melbourne’s inner city suburbs. Following our article on overseas buyer demand drivers , we thought it best to comment on the local market enquiry year to date. Apartment Register’s 400 enquiry sample has been 90% local owner-occupier, comprised of first home buyer (FHB) and first time off the plan buyers; the remaining 10% is local and...

My Real Estate Mate: Overseas buyers and the allure of Australia

“Fresh air and fresh produce” was the response from the managing director of a major Mainland Chinese company who enquired on Apartment Register this week when I asked him “what was the main driving motivational factor to apply for and gain residency in Australia over Canada or USA?”. Can it be that simple? Yes, it can. Overseas purchasers of property in Australia is not a recent phenomenon. We are the country of choice for many, the origination...
Fieldwork/Assemble Studio, Northcote. © Fieldwork

Up-and-comers: Fieldwork + Assemble in the spotlight

With the constant negative media focus on high-rise projects and the poor design of some apartments I thought it an opportune time to focus on a practice working at a smaller scale and with an impressive growing body of work: Fieldwork . A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to meet with Fieldwork and Assemble Directors Ben Keck and Quino Holland at their studio in Northcote, to discuss their ever expanding portfolio and design philosophies. I...

Interview with Toby Lauchlan from ClarkeHopkinsClarke

Urban Melbourne recently caught up with ClarkeHopkinsClarke Partner Toby Lauchlan to discuss their Pica development in Richmond which forms part of their growing body of work. Pica Richmond Aerial. © ClarkeHopkinsClarke Laurence Dragomir: Can you provide us with a brief overview of Pica's internal specs including apartment sizes, finishes and what differentiates the development from a buyer's perspective? Toby Lauchlan: We started Pica back in...

Pages

Development & Planning

Friday, January 19, 2018 - 06:00
Developer PDG has circulated preliminary images of a tower proposed to grace the Munro site adjacent to the Queen Victoria Market. This follows on from a planning application being submitted for the City of Melbourne-backed development which includes frontages to Therry Street, Queen Street and the rear of Franklin street.

Policy, Culture & Opinion

Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:00
The marriage of old and new can be a difficult process, particularly when the existing structure has intrinsic heritage value. In previous times Fitzroy's 237 Napier Street served as the home of furniture manufacturer C.F. Rojo and Sons. Taking root during 1887, Christobel Rojo oversaw operations though over time the site would become home to furniture manufacturer Thonet.

Visual Melbourne

Friday, August 25, 2017 - 07:00
The former site of John Batman's home, Batman's Hill is entering the final stages of its redevelopment. Collins Square's final tower has begun its skyward ascent, as has Lendlease's Melbourne Quarter Commercial and Residential precinct already. Melbourne Quarter's first stage is at construction and involves a new 12-storey home for consultancy firm Arup along with a skypark.

Transport & Design

Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 07:00
Late last year Urban Melbourne was invited for a tour of the new offices of CAPI in Windsor and a chat with its founder Pitzy Folk. The 1930’s building now known as '151 Albert' had previously housed Telstra and has been refurbished by renowned interior designer and family friend of the Folk family, Tamsin Johnson into 1,400 sqm of office and break out space across two floors and a basement.

Sustainability & Environment

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 12:00
Cbus Property's office development for Medibank at 720 Bourke Street in Docklands recently became the first Australian existing property to receive a WELL Certification, Gold Shell and Core rating. The WELL rating goes beyond sustainable building features with a greater focus on the health and well-being of a building's occupants.